PDA

View Full Version : SWTS - the Finals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27

Skittl1321
12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I usually hate when the ringer wins- but I'm glad Rebecca did.

Bethanny has not improved much, although she doesn't look as scared as the first week. The entire last half of the routine was her standing straight as a board while Ethan first cartwheeled her and then did a Detroiter with her. She did nothing. An assisted glide with bent knees is not the same as skating with bent knees! She set her foot down after a lift at a weird angle and only didn't fall because of Ethan- Rebecca comes out of lifts with a smooth glide

I did notice that Rebecca is only a strong skater with Fred- she plays the part very well! But when he let go of her and then she had to do forward crossovers, her strong, firm steps turned very quickly into tenative adult beginner cross-step-overs.

Hopefully this show will help Fred out. If he teaches, his beginning skater fees should go up!

ETA: The opening number was awful. So without a doubt there is no reason to keep that random woman on this show. She can't choreograph and she can't judge.

ETA2: I guessed all the technical scores before they even performed. Which tells me that their performances were pointless, the judges would have gone that way regardless. But WTH was up with the artistic scores- way too high for Bethany. I know it's moot- Rebecca wins!!!

Lacey
12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Rebecca is beautiful. She's a very good actress who should test herself beyond soaps and maybe this was good exposure for that. She seemed to have skated enough in her past to bring something back, and she very much deserved this win. But I cannot imagine that there are many other gorgeous contestants with some little skating ability out there for this show to give a repeat challenge next year. I wonder what the ratings were?

semogal
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I think we should consider this show an early Christmas present to the members of FSU: skating, JW and the opportunity to snark.

After the first night I thought I hated this show but it grew on me. It sure beat watching reruns with the hubby. It was fun. So glad Rebecca won. And that Tanith got a chance to shine. But I sincerely doubt that there will be a second "golden skates" trophy.

GarrAarghHrumph
12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
How much are they paying Johnny and Dick to say nice things to her? Yeah, she was more into it- but still not much actual skating. Blah.

Bethany did improve mightily v. when she'd first done this routine. Doesn't make her a great skater, and doesn't mean I like her skating, but she improved *significantly*. I give her props for that.

That said, when the other woman won, I said, "Thank God!"

GarrAarghHrumph
12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I hope the leotard-skirtless style does not catch on in real skating.

My husband asked me if Rebecca was wearing a girdle as her costume. :lol:

But happily, the skirtless leotard can't catch on in real skating right now - you are required to either wear a skirt or trousers. You can't wear just a leotard.

Bev Johnston
12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Eys! I will miss reading the live threads for this show. :drama:

Yes, me, too! I haven't even watched Monday's show yet and I only half-watched last night while doing chores, but I read every page of this thread.

I totally enjoyed this show. It was great to see Denis, Tanith, and Dick again. I loved Johnny's weekly fashion show. (Last night = love child of Pagliacci and Louis XIV) It was fun to meet Fred. And even Vernon's quirkiness grew on me.

Glad the right skater won!

Debbie S
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
But I sincerely doubt that there will be a second "golden skates" trophy.Evan Bates hopes there will be. His final blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101222&content_id=16357970&vkey=ice_news

genevieve
12-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I hope there will be too. It was good trashy fun, and I think people are getting waaaaaay to bunged up over the skating abilities of the celebs. Even if bethenny had won with her stiff skating and her skary shrunken apple head face I'd want another season. I adore goofy Vernon Kay, and Tanith improved as a cohost. Dick and johnny were great judges, and while it would be better to have an actual skating choreographer on the panel, I didn't hate Laurie Ann as much as most people did.

And I just love giving some skaters who aren't going to headline their own show or be a big draw next to skating's biggest stars some opportunities to get some recognition.

Matryeshka
12-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Julie Benz, Darla on Buffy/Angel, was a skater. I wonder if she's busy these days...

I'd like to see another season of this, if for no other reason than it gives skaters work. Despite my snarks, I enjoyed it, and hey, it might be better on a second run. Maybe the ratings would be higher too if it hadn't debuted during this time of year. There is a reason, after all, why networks start running reruns in December. It might have had more of a shot if they'd trotted it out in January, before a lot of shows come back but people are at home wanting entertainment.

mpal2
12-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Julie Benz, Darla on Buffy/Angel, was a skater. I wonder if she's busy these days...

I didn't know she skated too. I would love a Buffy / Darla skate-off if they had another season and could talk those 2 into doing it. :D

genevieve
12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Julie Benz is on the show No Ordinary Family, which coincidentally followed last night's SWTS finale.

Would still really love to see SMG on the show :cool:

FigureSpins
12-22-2010, 06:14 PM
If Jonny Mosely was out, I'm glad Rebecca didn't lose to the two-footin' skater whose skate was always in her mouth. (She dialed it back a notch for the finale, didn't she?) Nice flip-toe loop combination from both Jonny & Rebecca in their last performances.

I know "Ice Princess" was an unrealistic movie, but I think that Michelle Trachtenberg knew/learned the basics of how to skate. She couldn't do the higher level stuff so they hired a skating double, but Michelle would be a good SWTS candidate.

Joanne Kelly, who plays Myka Bering on Syfy's "Warehouse 13" used to be a skater. The show had one scene where she went to a rink to clear her head and think, but they didn't show her actually skating, just tying her skates and bantering with the show's resident Peter Pan character.

ArtisticFan
12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
There is also the actress who plays Hope on Days of Our Lives. She competed some as a child and did some scenes where she was required to skate back in the 80's.

FigureSpins
12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
This final should have been between Jonny & Brooke & Rebecca & Fred. Bethenny should have been gone weeks ago (nothing personal against Ethan, but I just couldn't stand Bethenny's attitude), and how much skating did she actually do on her own?

Congrats to Rebecca & Fred! :D :encore:
I agree with you. I thought Bethanny would be gone quickly. It's all the Disney kid's fault: if he hadn't gotten sick, Bethanny would have been o-u-t before the finals. (I think he had a better chance of winning.)

Compare the final programs of J&B to R&F and I think you get the same result with Rebecca&Fred winning. Both had nice flip-toe loop jumps, though. Jonny almost sent Brooke off-ice with that flubbed lift. He was a little shaky-looking and the program was athletic, but not terribly artistic.

In hindsight, Jonny & Brooke wuzrobbed of a second-place finish.

However, to use one of Aesop's Fables, who would want such an ugly trophy anyway?

SceneIt
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Laurie Ann Gibson - My daughter is involved heavily with dance, and she says neither she nor her studio has ever heard of Laurie Ann Gibson - who supposedly says she "worked" with Michael Jackson, Beyonce, etc. - Yeah, right!:rolleyes: