PDA

View Full Version : Which Olympic victory left you really, really "satisfied"?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Extranjera
12-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Yagudin, Shen and Zhao, and Kristi Yamaguchi are the only ones to come to mind because usually the person I want to win gets second or third.

:lol: There's possibility we have the same favorites, because mine usually don't win either.

kia_4EverOnIce
12-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Yagudin 2002
Plushenko 2006
Shen/Zhao 2010

MissIzzy
12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Having only really lived through the 2010 Olympics so far, I can say I actually felt more satisfaction for each win in retrospect, because on the day I was distracted by what was going on below. In fact, I'm another one who was more satisfied for Pang & Tong then for Shen & Zhao, because they skated so perfectly and the odds had been so much against them. Also when Evan won, my first reaction was merely intense relief that Plushenko had not, though I was very satisfied for Frank. Then Plushenko started his ranting, and I found myself getting deeply satisfied that it was Evan who had beaten him, because he'd just strolled in expecting it while Evan had worked the hardest.

let`s talk
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
:plush::plush::plush:

ponta1
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I am pleasantly surprised at the number of people who said Shizuka Arawaka. She is my pick too, and my all-time favorite Olympic performance by a woman.

skatesindreams
12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Lots already mentioned such as T&D, Robin Cousins, (I remember being allowed to stay up and watch with my Mum and being so excited that he won, although as an adult I think Hoffmann probably earned it on the night.) Loved Boitano's win in '88 although I was heartbroken for Orser, G&G in '88, Kulik, Yags, S&Z etc. Shizuka was THE highlight of '06 as well.

Looking back though, the one that really satisfies me even now is John Curry in 1976 because it really wasn't supposed to happen. He finally got his act together in terms of consistency on the triples, but if it wasn't for the Czech judge going against the eastern bloc at Europeans and thus swinging that victory for John 5-4 over Vladimir Kovalev, he would probably never have won in Innsbruck no matter how he skated. Now that is a SKARY thought!!!

Ibdeed!
Doris, I like your list, as well.

museksk8r
12-22-2010, 04:55 PM
. . . while Evan had worked the hardest.

Had he really though? Did any of us personally take time with Evgeni or Evan or anyone else to really gauge who worked the hardest during their training and preparation? From a non-skater's perspective, I would have to think coming back from a 3.5 year absence from Olympic eligible competition was a tougher endeavor that Plushenko was trying to undertake. He had not done some of his jumps in years and pretty much had to relearn them/get readjusted to them. Plus, Plushy had to get into Olympic shape/fitness losing weight and trying to regain his muscle memory while Lysacek was already in peak condition coming into the season as reigning World champ. Evgeni was attempting the quad in every event while Lysacek made the decision only to attempt it at Nationals, which did not come off successfully. Seems to me like Plushy had the higher mountain to climb . . . just my perspective though. :slinkaway

orbitz
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
If Plushy and his coach had really tried to adapt his programs to COP then I think he would have been seen as working as hard as Evan, but it felt like Plush was willing to rest of what he was capable of pre-cop and that was that. Whereas Evan and his team really analyzed his points after each competition and made the necessary tweaks as the season progressed.

kwanfan1818
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
For me, complete satisfaction were John Curry, Ilia Kulik, Torvill/Dean, Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Gordeeva/Grinkov, personal favorites who skated the lights out and whom no one could have outskated. (Orser could have and might have outskated Boitano, but the latter didn't register at the time.)

I was ecstatic that Arakawa won, because for me, Arakawa is the finest Ladies skater (although not competitor) of the Triples Era, but it was one of those "You can't take it away from [her]" victories, after the :argue: that she was a default champion who only won because others failed and was too conservative by not attempting the 3/3's she landed in practice.

Mafke
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Seems to me like Plushy had the higher mountain to climb . . . just my perspective though. :slinkaway

Oh he definitely had more work to do to come back (and should be immensely proud of how well he did). I'm not a Plushenko fan but I'm the first to admit that it was a tremendous achievement (I'm more impressed that he was doing real sitspins after the barely kneeling spins of 2006).

On the other hand .... it's not so much about working hard as working smart. Plushenko seemed to channel his tremendous willpower and unquestioned tecnical brilliance to do the program .... that he felt like doing without taking the finer details of CoP in account. (This is in addition to the fact that he had, for him, an off night and his jumps were weaker than they had been all season. It's amazing that he could land them but when the air position is that bad there's no way the judges can dump a lot of points on you).

Lysacek had the better strategy of working with (instead of against) the CoP system to maximize his strengths (which included being younger and having more endurance than Plushenko) and minimize his weaknesses (no quad, which is in fact not a required element).

caseyedwards
12-22-2010, 05:37 PM
The Olympics was the only competition where Plushenko did not double a jump or triple a quad like he did at Russian nationals. So I think it was his strongest performance in jumps all season. Cup of Russia - doubled jump, Russian nationals, tripled quad, Euros- doubled triple jump. Leans can't be WORSE than doubling or reducing. Maybe if Plushenko did not do a quad and worked with COP he could have won too.

Mafke
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Maybe if Plushenko did not do a quad and worked with COP he could have won too.

I don't think it's an either or situation. He could have kept the quad (it was one of his biggest strengths that season) and still arranged his elements so that he could pick up more points from them. Either he didn't think it was necessary or tried and realized that late jumps were too big a gamble for him - that the risk of falling was too great for the extra points. Either way his jump layout ended up being less of a strength than it would have been with a more CoP friendly layout.

Also his strategy of emphasizing the quad in the lead up to the competition badly misfired. He ended up ceding that his inbetweens weren't very much - indirectly making the judges look foolish for giving him high scores.

The first rule of getting points from the judges is don't make them rethink giving you points.

museksk8r
12-22-2010, 07:07 PM
On the other hand .... it's not so much about working hard as working smart.

I can certainly agree with that statement. :D It really was a matter of Plushenko being just past his prime and Lysacek being right at his prime and working the point code system smarter. It's no question in my mind that Evgeni had to work harder than Evan though to reach the level of fitness and competitiveness that he did. :)

caseyedwards
12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think it's an either or situation. He could have kept the quad (it was one of his biggest strengths that season) and still arranged his elements so that he could pick up more points from them. Either he didn't think it was necessary or tried and realized that late jumps were too big a gamble for him - that the risk of falling was too great for the extra points. Either way his jump layout ended up being less of a strength than it would have been with a more CoP friendly layout.

Also his strategy of emphasizing the quad in the lead up to the competition badly misfired. He ended up ceding that his inbetweens weren't very much - indirectly making the judges look foolish for giving him high scores.

The first rule of getting points from the judges is don't make them rethink giving you points.

I don't know if there is any evidence to support this statement. He was the only one to do a quad triple at the Olympics and he was frontloaded on jumps. There was no one else at the Olympics who you can compare Plushenko to. There was no one else who did a quad triple and then a 3A at or after the halfway point. Only Chan is doing something like that now and only after they changed the rules after the season ended. To have COP friendly layout at that particular moment was to be quadless. The 2010 Olympics occured at an anti-quad time.

His statements should not have dictated any judges scores-just what he did on the ice.

Fandango
12-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Why turn this nice topic about "satisfying" Olympic victories into such an unpleasant Plushenko/Lysacek discussion???

:violin: