PDA

View Full Version : Which Olympic victory left you really, really "satisfied"?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

victoriaheidi
12-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Sarah Hughes, 2002.

Flame me if you want, but she did what every athlete wants to do: give the performance of her life on her sport's biggest stage.

I agree. On some level, Sarah's performance and rise to the top that night symbolizes what so many people think of as a big part of the Olympics: anything can happen. And seeing the underdog triumph is pretty cool (although I remember watching with my mom and being stunned when Michelle fell. I was still so excited for Sarah, though).

MR-FAN
12-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Not a gold, but the most satisfying Olympics achievement for me was Joannie Rochette's bronze

escaflowne9282
12-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Men -

Ladies -
Shizuka Arakawa; 2006 was the first time since Kristi Yamaguchi won that I felt the winner either deserved their gold or the win wasn't overshadowed by disappointment on behalf of other skaters who seemed to have had everything they needed (IMO) to get the job done but somehow faltered.

For me Arakawa's victory was so satisfying because it felt like a true all around skater with deep pure edges won. I also found it meaningful because it was Japan's only medal at that games and it came in what was considered to be the crown jewel of the Olympics.It was also significant that a skater from a country with so much depth and history in FS finally won the big O. I remember one of the Japanese posters saying that Midori Ito started crying when she found out that Arakawa had won.

pumba
12-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Torino.
The most beautiful couple, pair and lady, all with best edges and lines (which is a main criteria for me) won there.
I did not watch the 1992 games, but now I think how awfuly unjust it might be if Klimova/Ponomarenko did not win those games, esp with that FD.
I was also super-relieved when Elena and Anton won in 2002.

Loves_Shizuka
12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Well, Shizuka, obviously. I love her/that victory because she is a brilliant example of pure, all-round skating, with clean lines, deep edges, big jumps and regal posture; and that night, there was no question she was the best. In addition to that I never thought I'd have a true, real fave ever win something so big - for example, if Kwan won, I'd be delighted or Cohen, or when Kim won; but I'm not an uber of their's, I just appreciate their skating on a casual level. Whereas Arakawa is MY skater (if you get me) so for her to win felt amazing. (Is that sad? lol)

Also: Shen/Zhao for very obvious reasons. And can I say that Pang/Tong were the most satisfying silver medallists ever for me. :D

pumba
12-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Well, Shizuka, obviously. I love her/that victory because she is a brilliant example of pure, all-round skating, with clean lines, deep edges, big jumps and regal posture; and that night, there :D

Agree about Shizuka :). Though, for obvious reason, I would not mind Irina winning that and getting the 4th GM to Russia :P

Zokko!
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
All warm and fuzzy about:

- Ilia 1998 and Yags 2002
Truly magical, majestic performances, just like made for the history book of figure skating! :swoon:
(... unfortunately Men's Olympic skating went almost completely downwards from then on ...)

- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002
Now more than ever! :P

- Shen & Zhao 2010
Not as brilliant like they've been 2003 and 2004, but an undoubted, deserved victory; and what an fantastic exclamation mark at the end of a long, exceptional skating career! :encore:

Honourable mentions to Urmanov and Ilia (again) for preventing Stojko to become ... :shuffle:

DORISPULASKI
12-22-2010, 10:51 AM
The wins I found most satisfying involved skaters I had been interested in for several years and liked a lot (while Gordeeva & Grinkov in 1988 skated great, I hadn't particularly liked them before 1988), who delivered good performances (not backed into a championship (example Scott Hamilton, whom I liked, but who just didn't skate that well when he won) ), and where there was no controversy about the results to spoil the feeling (I liked both B&S and S&P, but the controversy spoiled the satisfied feeling) . If the win was not a coronation, and even more if I believed the winner was the underdog, it was even more satisfying (Boitano, Arikawa).

Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao 2010
Shizuka Arikawa 2006
Alexei Yagudin 2002
Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992
Natalia Mishketunok & Artur Dmitriev 1992
Brian Boitano 1988
Jayne Torvill & Christopnher Dean 1984
Dorothy Hamill 1976
Lyudmila Pakhomova & Alexandr Gorshkov 1976

Moka-Ananas
12-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Totmianina/Marinin
Plushenko

millyskate
12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Ilia Kulik :cheer:
Tara Lipinski
Yagudin

floskate
12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Lots already mentioned such as T&D, Robin Cousins, (I remember being allowed to stay up and watch with my Mum and being so excited that he won, although as an adult I think Hoffmann probably earned it on the night.) Loved Boitano's win in '88 although I was heartbroken for Orser, G&G in '88, Kulik, Yags, S&Z etc. Shizuka was THE highlight of '06 as well.

Looking back though, the one that really satisfies me even now is John Curry in 1976 because it really wasn't supposed to happen. He finally got his act together in terms of consistency on the triples, but if it wasn't for the Czech judge going against the eastern bloc at Europeans and thus swinging that victory for John 5-4 over Vladimir Kovalev, he would probably never have won in Innsbruck no matter how he skated. Now that is a SKARY thought!!!

paskatefan
12-22-2010, 12:15 PM
other results (silver/bronze) that I loved:

Paul Wylie - 1992
Midori Ito - 1992
Shen & Zhao - 2006 (that bronze medal was a "golden" achievement for them, considering Hongbo's injury that season).
Pang & Tong - 2010
Joannie Rochette - 2010
Tanith & Ben - 2006 (should have been on this year's Olympic podium too)
Meryl & Charlie - 2010

museksk8r
12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
All warm and fuzzy about:

- Ilia 1998 and Yags 2002
Truly magical, majestic performances, just like made for the history book of figure skating! :swoon:
(... unfortunately Men's Olympic skating went almost completely downwards from then on ...)

- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002
Now more than ever! :P

- Shen & Zhao 2010
Not as brilliant like they've been 2003 and 2004, but an undoubted, deserved victory; and what an fantastic exclamation mark at the end of a long, exceptional skating career! :encore:

Honourable mentions to Urmanov and Ilia (again) for preventing Stojko to become ... :shuffle:

:respec: ITA on all your choices!!! Especially your dig at :EVILLE: Stojko. If only Sale/Pelletier had not been allowed to win gold too. :blah::shuffle:

Not a gold, but the most satisfying Olympics achievement for me was Joannie Rochette's bronze

Yes! I have probably never wished for a skater as hard as I wished for her to do well. The camera shot at her face looking at Manon prior to the Olympic SP and struggling to hold back tears at the cruel fate that she was dealt with at the biggest sporting moment of her career and her amazing poise to deliver such an outstanding performance as she did caused me to burst into tears and that vision has stuck with me to this day. It's what the Olympic spirit is truly all about! :)

Extranjera
12-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Yagudin 2002

Shen % Zhao 2010

- Shen & Zhao 2010

That's what I think either.

If Kwan had won in 1998, I would write also her name, but she didn't. Of course Tara was gorgeous too, but Michelle is Michelle- she always was touching me more than other skaters :)

Kati
12-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Ilia Kulik
Gordeeva & Grinkov
Anissina & Peizerat
Virtue & Moir
Yu-Na Kim
Oksana Baiul
Shen & Zhao

and honorable mention: Stephane Lambiel's silver!! :D