PDA

View Full Version : Rate the 1 time World Champions

Pages : 1 [2] 3

escaflowne9282
12-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I am definitely not getting the love of Christine Errath's skating from the 1970s. Her choreography was heinous and I find her skating to be quite brutal and beastly :slinkaway:

I guess I'm just not much of a fan of ladies skating of the 1970s . Despite the better basic skating ,I tend to find so many of the female skaters of this era to be very tedious and lacking in nuance and refinement in their overall body movement. Even the much beloved Dorothy Hammill's skating looks a bit... rushed to me.

John Curry OTOH I could watch all day.

Frau Muller
12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Roz Sumners should be way down on the list...somewhere close to Kimmie. She got very, very lucky in Helsinki '83 in that Katarina made fluke mistakes and Zayak, the reigning champ, got injured in the course of the competition. Roz was also the USFSA's "little Princess Perfect" at the time; they lobbied strong and hard for her to be marked over "chubby, working class Elaine" even before Elaine pulled out of the competition. Not that I did not enjoy Roz's energy and personality but I did not consider her a true prodigy like Elaine. (One of these days, either Elaine or her coach should write an all-tell book!)

Off Topic: Luckily, Code of Points has pretty much put an end to "Little Princess Perfects" being annointed by federations or other power brokers (like networks), with backroom wheeling and dealing of one skater above another in the same country. Now you either "do it" on the ice, in that one program, or you do not. "Funny play" with PCS can only get a "darling" so far.

judgejudy27
12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Witt was never good in figures before 1984 and as you yourself are basically admiting Zayak was not ever winning the 83 Worlds. So I see Sumners in no way lucky to have won that year. Witt's Olympic win the following year was luckier than Sumners's World title.

olympic
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Roz Sumners should be way down on the list...somewhere close to Kimmie. She got very, very lucky in Helsinki '83 in that Katarina made fluke mistakes and Zayak, the reigning champ, got injured in the course of the competition. Roz was also the USFSA's "little Princess Perfect" at the time; they lobbied strong and hard for her to be marked over "chubby, working class Elaine" even before Elaine pulled out of the competition. Not that I did not enjoy Roz's energy and personality but I did not consider her a true prodigy like Elaine. (One of these days, either Elaine or her coach should write an all-tell book!)

Believe me, I'm no fan of Roz but I respect the great quality of her basic skating. [She reminds me of Lepisto in that way - nice quality to all technical elements, musical, but somewhat icy and removed during actual performances and could be quite wobbly on/popping jumps due to nerves - JMHO. Don't flame me!].

But Roz was great in the figures whereas Kat prior to '84 was pretty mediocre in that segment and I admired Kat's athleticism but her 2d mark also was not where it would be in later yeasrs, so I don't think Roz was unlucky to win '83.

There just wasn't any really eye-popping competition for ladies that season- 1) World champ Zayak was out injured, 2) as stated Witt was mediocre in figures and had not realized her potential, 3) Chin was a newcomer and still developing, 4) Ivanova was banned from competing internationally in these years by the Soviet Fed, 5) Biellmann, 6) Cottrill, and 7) Kristofics-Binder had already retired or were just gone.

That left very few people to contend, so I'm just curious to know why you think Roz was lucky? Again, not a fan and I also like you preferred Zayak.

judgejudy27
12-20-2010, 06:04 PM
1981-1984 was the craziest quadrennial for womens skating ever. Even going into Sarajevo I dont think people knew what to expect. Sumners was probably favorite but was clearly vurnerable. Witt was doing well that season but hadnt won a major title yet. Zayak seemed to be on the way down but shocked most people with some of her best performances ever in Sarajevo, but unfortunately clearly was out of favor by that point it turned out. Leistner, Voderezova, Ivanova returning to competition but not really being proven yet even in her first go around, Chin, Kondrashova, Rueben.

Many of the top skaters in the middle of the quad just retiring or dissapearing altogether- Biellmann, Binder, Cottrill, DeVries, Vegelius, and others making returns from long absences like Voderezova and Ivanova.

Frau Muller
12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Katarina and Claudia Leistner were very much the international "It Girls" that season. (Alas, Leistner went downhill, for a while, after 83 Worlds.)

Witt was the Euro Champ. So her time had definitely come. The win in Sarajevo was not at all a surprise to those who live in those times and attended major events, as I did. Roz was a pretty and pleasant fluke.

The "surprise" was that Witt went past 1984. Nobody in the 1982-84 period would have predicted the longevity of Witt in amateur competition.

Frau Muller
12-20-2010, 06:12 PM
1981-1984 was the craziest quadrennial for womens skating ever. Even going into Sarajevo I dont think people knew what to expect. ....

Maybe not in North America. Witt was IT everywhere else, at least since summer 82. I lived it. (And I'm the "other" F.Muller...not the real one. :cool:)

bardtoob
12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
EDIT

floskate
12-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Gaby Seyfert

Gaby won two Worlds in 1969 & 1970 :)

Re: Witt in '82 and '83. She was the combined free skating champion at both those Worlds. She should have won overall in '82, it was there for the taking despite Zayak's great performance but she made mistakes. 1983 it was her figures that did her in, but I think it's very clear that she was regarded as the biggest potential OGM for Sarejevo by the international judges, especially after Biellmann's shock early retirement.

judgejudy27
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Poor Leistner looked like the big up and coming star along with Witt in 1982 and 1983 but never really was a contender ever again after her weak Olympic showing in 1984. Well not until her last season in 1989 when nearly everyone had retired. From 1985-1988 she just kept getting passed by everyone and most years was 4th at Europeans, including even 1987 where she skated so well. In 1982 and 1983 she looked fresh and exciting with her ability to do so many triples, but she became stale and boring as the years went by. Even her 1989 World silver performance was an eyesore.

bardtoob
12-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Gaby won two Worlds in 1969 & 1970 :)

Sharp as a tac, you are.

I thought I got to it before anybody saw :P

orbitz
12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Katarina and Claudia Leistner were very much the international "It Girls" that season. (Alas, Leistner went downhill, for a while, after 83 Worlds.)

Leistner's atistry, program and music cut in 83 was crap. I don't know how she could've been seen as the "It" girl.

Witt was the Euro Champ. So her time had definitely come. The win in Sarajevo was not at all a surprise to those who live in those times and attended major events, as I did. Roz was a pretty and pleasant fluke.

Witt's win in 84 was somewhat of a surprised, although she was definitely considered a major threat to Roz for the Olympic title. Roz convincingly won the World title in 83. If you take away the triples, Roz was the better free skater than Witt. She could've, would've ..yadayadayada...won in 84. Who knew why she decided to double the last two triples and single the final axel in her LP. The mistake in the SP was stupid.

briancoogaert
12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
From what I've watched, Katarina's win was not such a surprise in 1984. She was a two-time Euro champ. Silver medalist at Worlds in 1982, first lady to land a 3Flip, and she landed 3Loop in 1983. Her jumps were beautiful, so was her skating. From 1983, she developped her grace and interpretation. ;)

Mafke
12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I always found Witt kind of awkward (look at her crossovers, look at her spin positions) and her 'artistry' was basically a reference first to her natural good looks and later to her cultivated showmanship.

And most of her winning performances just aren't that great or memorable (except for her 87 worlds lp which was great in every sense of the word). But she had the toughest mental games of any skater ever.

I think of Hughes as about as big a fluke as Meissner. I'm not disputing her win but her SLC victory really did come right out of and lead right back to nowhere. A very bizarre little chapter in ladies skating history.

smarts1
12-21-2010, 12:26 AM
^ But the thing is Hughes was at least proven to be a medal contender. Meissner just barely emerged into the senior ranks. And under 6.0, I think any free skate like what Hughes skated in SLC was going to win the gold medal.