PDA

View Full Version : Best Olympic Games

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

seaner00
12-19-2010, 11:01 PM
What was the best Olympic Games in figure skating??
By this I mean the most great performances, controversy, great stories and maybe the most memorable.

For me it was 1994 (thx to 3Axel1996 for posting the entire 94 olympics on youtube). Every discipline was exciting, really ever silver medalist(in one case bronze medalist) could have conceivably have won Gold. There was also the pros coming back(G&G,M&D,Witt,Torvill/Dean,Petrenko,Boitano),Harding/Kerrigan saga and MANY fantastic performances throughout the games.

Jammers
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
For me nothing beats Lillehammer. I like when the winter Olympics are in the smaller venues then the bigger cities which seems to be th trend now. Salt Lake City is my second favorite for many reasons. Being an american it's always special when your country hosts a Olympics and after 9/11 we needed something to pump us up. Also this was the Olympics that showed the world that the US was a true winter Olympics power.

briancoogaert
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
The problem I have with Lillehammer is the ladies event. Oksana Baiul as an Olympic champion is still something really painful to me !
Otherwise, the other events were amazing, I loved the pairs and dance. And the men competition was really interesting with the old skaters vs the young.

judgejudy27
12-20-2010, 12:01 PM
LOL at all the votes for Vancouver. Other than the ladies event and Virtue & Moir what was great about that. A splatfest mens event, a splatfest pairs event, and a weak overall dance field with the worst crop of Euro teams in history by a huge margin.

paskatefan
12-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Calgary 1988 for me! Why" The Battle of the Brians, G&G, and Midori Ito! :encore: These are the Olympics that got me hooked on figure skating for good!

floskate
12-20-2010, 12:27 PM
LOL at all the votes for Vancouver. Other than the ladies event and Virtue & Moir what was great about that. A splatfest mens event, a splatfest pairs event, and a weak overall dance field with the worst crop of Euro teams in history by a huge margin.

Maybe because compared to Torino it actually was a very well skated event? :lol:

My vote goes to Calgary. There was just something so magical about those Olympics which IMO has never been equaled.

Twilight1
12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
2010- Watching V&M and Rochette and what they accomplished despite the adversity is awe inspiring.

1994- Unlike briancoogaert, I loved that Oksana won those Oly's. Also, seeing G&G and the upstarts G&P win. I will never forget cracking my toes when G&P won. :lol: Seeing Elvis Stojko do well was awesome.

2002- The dance event, even though my fave's fell at the end of the FD and seeing A&P win was great! B&S and S&P skated amazing. Yagudin bar none is my all time favourite male skater!!

1998- Men's and ice dance event stand out for me, as well as Lu Chen skating so well to win bronze. Also happy that W&S won bronze too.

1988- Men's event and Manley winning silver, never mind Carmen by Witt. :D

briancoogaert
12-20-2010, 12:39 PM
IMO, the best ladies event, ever, was 1998. :swoon:
In Pairs, I'd say 1994.

judgejudy27
12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Maybe because compared to Torino it actually was a very well skated event? :lol:

True, but it wasnt exactly a tough standard to beat. :lol:

miki88
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
IMO, the best ladies event, ever, was 1998. :swoon:
In Pairs, I'd say 1994.

I agree! It was a very exciting event! And since it was also the first Olympics I watched, there's the nostalgic factor. :)

casken
12-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Besides the fact that the quality was high across all four disciplines, it was my first Olympics, and there was just something really special about that event; the the energy and enthusiasm of the crowd, the way the sound echoed through the arena, how the ice and the whole venue in general just seemed to glow, etc.

Every other Olympics has paled in comparison.

let`s talk
12-20-2010, 02:47 PM
SLC. Of course I didn't enjoy what happened in pairs, got furious with ladies' results, got bored with dancers's but PlushYag rivalry heavily cracked all sh.. out. Cool boys!!! :cool::cool::cool:

aliceanne
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Calgary for me. It was an exciting time. It was the beginning of the skating boom - people weren't jaded yet. Plus the Olympics were in North America and the U.S. and Canada had many top skaters. The U.S. women were Thomas, Trenary, and Kadavy. There was the battle of the Brians. The Duchesnays challenged the Russians in dance with a new style. Liz Manley's surprise medal. Midori Ito's spectacular skate. The media infatuation with Katarina Witt.

Skating had sex appeal then. IMHO skating is as much show-bizz as sport, no matter how much the ISU tries to deny it!

Aceon6
12-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I voted Sarajevo, Torvill and Dean, Scotty's gold, and the Carruther's magical silver.

Jaana
12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
I voted for Vancouver, because in every discipline the skater/s won, which I was rooting for.