PDA

View Full Version : Best Olympic Games

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Twilight1
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Re 2006 vs 2010

2006- I thought Plushenko while technically good, but sucked on the presentation. T&M were about as special as paint drying...like Plushenko skated excellent but I remember nothing of their performance, only the ladies Champion and Dance champions stand out in any way for me. However the rest of the field were awful...though Babs death stare was noteworthy...

2010-I thought Lysacek was awe inspiring in his LP. I don't even like him but was impressed by him and what he did.

Virtue & Moir were stunning so deserving of their win. Never mind that D&W brought it...the only flaw was my personal opinion that B&A were robbed of bronze.

Rochette winning bronze was amazing for what had occurred to her and Yu Na was technically superior but also was artistically amazing too!

So I guess it is a matter of taste...

chmea
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
That is a matter of the opinion. Lysacek is definitely not a great Olympic Champion IMO. One of the least special skaters to ever win such a title. And Shen & Zhou did not skate perfectly at all in the LP, they even lost the LP to Pang & Tong and wouldnt have won the gold with that performance if the Germans or Russians had skated better.

I would say in Turin all the winners were great Olympic Champions who skated perfectly more than Vancouver. All 4 Olympic winners of 2006 are better Olympic Champions than Lysacek, and all 4 skated better than Shen & Zhou (or Lysacek) did in Vancouver to win there.

well that's your opinion...certainly not mine !

All 2010 olympic champion from 2010 were better than 2006. SZ didn't have the performance of their live, but it was certainly more interesting than those boring russians.

As for the men, well to be honest, that's my least favorite event anyway so I don't really care!

kwanette
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
That is a matter of the opinion. Lysacek is definitely not a great Olympic Champion IMO. One of the least special skaters to ever win such a title. And Shen & Zhou did not skate perfectly at all in the LP, they even lost the LP to Pang & Tong and wouldnt have won the gold with that performance if the Germans or Russians had skated better.

I would say in Turin all the winners were great Olympic Champions who skated perfectly more than Vancouver. All 4 Olympic winners of 2006 are better Olympic Champions than Lysacek, and all 4 skated better than Shen & Zhou (or Lysacek) did in Vancouver to win there.

Well, Evan's a lot more special than some others. who have won OGMs. I think that what he did in Vancouver was amazing. Re: S and Z, they didn't have to skate perfectly..won under the rules of the competition.

poths
12-21-2010, 08:32 PM
The :drama: of 1994 was EPIC.

The Pairs comp with all the returning champions/ Wotzel chin splat was the best competition ever IMO

The ladies with the Harding/Kerrigan/Baiul/ Szwechenko collision/ Dead Parents/ Witt Return...EPIC!

The men's was easily the best FP ever...Petrenko, Boitano, Browning...and they didn;t even medal.

And don't get me going on Dance...T&D beaten into bronze with people like Krylova down in 6th and Diva Navka out of the top 10. EPIC

1994 all the freaking way

Even the freaking Gala was amazing - remember The Baiul/Petrenko performance?
Brasseur and Isler's Bryan Adams routine and.....Grinkov's last major performance :(

Twilight1
12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
poths- didn't G&G compete in the World Pro's in 1994 and he passed before World Pro's in 1995?

Good points on everything that happened in 1994 Oly's. I taped it all. Including a bunch of clips from the news about Harding and Kerrigan. Plus the pre-Canadian National's bit of upped security on CTV

Mafke
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
For me it was Calgary. Partly because it was the first FS competition I recorded (the idea seemed strange at the time...).

Also the coverage was pretty good (decent coverage of figures for instance with the best description of skate blade construction and edges I ever saw on TV).

And the competitions were all interesting

Pairs : weakest section but a young GG outclasses the field

Mens : Brians, what's not to love? Plus young whipper snappers Bowman, Browning and Petrenko put in appearances.

Dance : The eternal weirdness of BB and the Duchesnays make their mark.

Ladies : Carmens, Witt's butt, Thomas's unitard, drama, drama and more dramaa as tears of joy and sadness flow with Manley and Ito putting in class performances (and poor Cadavy sidelined).

judgejudy27
12-22-2010, 12:33 AM
If you put the competitions of 2006 up against 2010 this is how everyone would have placed skating as they did:

Pairs:

Gold- Totmianina & Marinin 2006 (sorry S&Z fans, if they even lost the LP to P&T they would have had no chance against T&M of 2006)
Silver- Shen & Zhou 2010
Bronze- Zhang & Zhang 2006
4th- Pang & Tong 2010
5th- Shen & Zhou 2006
6th- Pang & Tong 2006
7th- Savchenko & Szolkowy 2010
8th- Petrova & Tikhonov 2006

Men:

Gold- Plushenko 2006 (by a landslide, over 20 points probably)

----huge gap----

Silver- Lysacek 2010
Bronze- Lambiel 2006
4th- Plushenko 2010
5th- Takahashi 2010
6th- Buttle 2006
7th- Lysacek 2006
8th- Lambiel 2010

Dance:

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2010
Silver- Navka & Kostomarov 2006
Bronze- Belbin & Agosto 2006
4th- Davis & White 2010
5th- Grushina & Goncharov 2006
6th- Delobel & Schoenfelder 2006
7th- Denkova & Stayviski 2006
8th- Belbin & Agosto 2010

Ladies:

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010
Silver- Shizuka Arakawa 2006
Bronze- Mao Asada 2010
4th- Sasha Cohen 2006
5th- Joannie Rochette 2010
6th- Mirai Nagasu 2010
7th- Irina Slutskaya 2006
8th- Fumie Suguri 2006

Overall 2006 would do better.

Mafke
12-22-2010, 12:47 AM
If you put the competitions of 2006 up against 2010 ....

But T&M were about as exciting as watching paint dry. They had the technical skill but they were boooooring (and the less said about ZZ 2006 the better)

And Plushenko's program in 2006 might have won but it was also bloody awful - jump, jump, jump ,jump, jump, jump half-assed footwork and non-existent sit-spin blech

One of the jobs of the olympics is to capture the public's imagination and I think overall Vancouver did that better than Turin (I refuse to use the pretentious "Torino" unless parlo italiano, capisci?)

judgejudy27
12-22-2010, 12:59 AM
If capturing publics imagination is the goal then 1988, 1994, and 2002 were far better than 2010.

1988- Battle of the Brians, Battle of the Carmens, an inspired Manley, the timeless Gordeeva & Grinkov.

1994- Just amazingly strong men, pairs, and dance field, even if the mens didnt fully pan out. The story of all the reinstated pros. And Nancy skating what most Americans consider Oly Gold performances so soon after being clubbed.

2002- The Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry at its peak, Kwan vs Slutskaya in the womens with Hughes stealing the show by skating out of her skin that night, and an incredible pairs field the infamous scandal aside.

Even 1984 and 1998 really. 1984 you had the historic performances of Torvill & Dean, a popular U.S dancing duo fighting for a medal, the American ladies sending a super trio with 2 World Champions, the coronation of the beautiful and popular Witt as the new ice queen, Hamilton vs Orser in the mens event, and NA interest in the pairs even with both Underhill & Martini and the Carruthers. 1998 Tara vs Michelle already tops anything from 2010 for NA skating fans, but you also had Stojko, Eldredge, and Kulik in the mens event, and the great Gristchuk & Platov in their Olympic farewell. And if you want me to look at it from European fans perspective instead the difference probably becomes even more.

The TV ratings for both 2006 and 2010 were really low. Nobody was that interested in either. The only reason 2010 has so many votes here is it most recent and people seem to think always think now is best for whatever reason.

Jenna
12-22-2010, 01:07 AM
No. 2010 has the most votes because of the quality of skating. Please show me another major competition in which the final ladies flight has zero falls. That's one point for starters.

chmea
12-22-2010, 01:43 AM
If you put the competitions of 2006 up against 2010 this is how everyone would have placed skating as they did:

Pairs:

Gold- Totmianina & Marinin 2006 (sorry S&Z fans, if they even lost the LP to P&T they would have had no chance against T&M of 2006)
Silver- Shen & Zhou 2010
Bronze- Zhang & Zhang 2006
4th- Pang & Tong 2010
5th- Shen & Zhou 2006
6th- Pang & Tong 2006
7th- Savchenko & Szolkowy 2010
8th- Petrova & Tikhonov 2006

Men:

Gold- Plushenko 2006 (by a landslide, over 20 points probably)

----huge gap----

Silver- Lysacek 2010
Bronze- Lambiel 2006
4th- Plushenko 2010
5th- Takahashi 2010
6th- Buttle 2006
7th- Lysacek 2006
8th- Lambiel 2010

Dance:

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2010
Silver- Navka & Kostomarov 2006
Bronze- Belbin & Agosto 2006
4th- Davis & White 2010
5th- Grushina & Goncharov 2006
6th- Delobel & Schoenfelder 2006
7th- Denkova & Stayviski 2006
8th- Belbin & Agosto 2010

Ladies:

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010
Silver- Shizuka Arakawa 2006
Bronze- Mao Asada 2010
4th- Sasha Cohen 2006
5th- Joannie Rochette 2010
6th- Mirai Nagasu 2010
7th- Irina Slutskaya 2006
8th- Fumie Suguri 2006

Pairs:T/M maybe technically, but artistically BORING! so BORING it deserved to be mentionned at least twice! and Z/Z third! :lol: no comment!

Dance: D/W clearly 2nd in my opinion, and definitely not behind B/A 2006

Ladies: cohen 4th, certainly not based on the FS please ! And the SP wasn't that great, so definitely not in front of Rochette overall for me.

Men: just like pairs, you seems to be captivated by the most boring program. :rofl: Figures skating is not just about Jump you know. But that's your choice and I respect that! :lol:

judgejudy27
12-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Pairs:T/M maybe technically, but artistically BORING! so BORING it deserved to be mentionned at least twice! and Z/Z third! :lol: no comment!

Pang & Tong skated just as well in 2006 as 2010 and still couldnt beat Z/Z in 2006 so why would it be any different.

And the fact S&Z lost the LP and nearly the gold to P&T in 2010 makes it 100% certain they were losing to the 2006 T&M with their 2010 performances no matter how boring you think they were.

Dance: D/W clearly 2nd in my opinion, and definitely not behind B/A 2006

Who knows, I find D/W overrated anyway. I dont even neccessarily think they were better than B/A in 2010, the USFSA just decided to start backing the future. I think B/A with the backing as U.S #1 like they had in 06 would be able to beat D/W of 2010. And a team who had never even won a World medal going into the Games like D&W in 2010 would never beat a dominant team at their best like N&K in 2006. Not a chance. And since D&W were so artistically generic and so lacking in lines and polish compared to N&K I wouldnt say they deserved to either, even if technically they are arguably as good or better a the 2006 N&K.

Ladies: cohen 4th, certainly not based on the FS please ! And the SP wasn't that great, so definitely not in front of Rochette overall for me.

Rochette's 2010 bronze medal performances were not so great. Why do you think so many even complain about her beating Nagasu all this time after the Games. 2006 Cohen's spins, spirals, footwork, and PCS would all easily beat Rochette. Rochette would have to outscore her on jumps by a huge amount to beat her.

Men: just like pairs, you seems to be captivated by the most boring program. :rofl: Figures skating is not just about Jump you know. But that's your choice and I respect that! :lol:

I like most was not captivated by anything the top men of either 2006 or 2010 men did so what difference does it make. If you want captivating then we would be talking about Yagudin's 2002 performance, Boitano's 1988 performances, Kulik's 1998 performances, but we are only talking about 2006 and 2010 so those dont matter here. Fact is Plushenko of 2006 was 3 times better than 2010 no matter how boring he was to you, and he so nearly won in 2010. Plushenko of 2006 would have destroyed the 2010 field whether he was that enjoyable or not. Could you seriously imagine a skater like Lysacek, especialy without a quad, even coming close to a prime Plushenko ever, ROTFL!! It is too bad the truly captivating skaters (certainly not Lysacek) like Takahashi, Lambiel, or Buttle could never skate clean programs with all the jumps. If I were a judge I would have given Takahashi the gold in 2010 anyway since after he splatted on his quad the rest of his skating was far beyond anything Plushenko or Lysacek did.

My results btw are how the judges would have had the two competitions together. If I went with my own personal opinions alot would change but probably overall be even more heavily in favor of 2010 vs 2006. Anyway neither were even close to the best Olympics ever so it is moot. 2010 leading the poll makes me laugh however.

pumba
12-22-2010, 07:58 AM
I'd say Torino and Vancouver were pretty close.
The 1-2 Vancouver ice dance couples were surely technically superior to 2006 ones. But places 3-----> are pretty comparable.
In ladies skating Yuna and Mao set the highest level of technical difficulty, but 3---> placements were no better than Torino 2--->. Saying that, I would choose Shizuka's skating over Yuna's at any day, even though the latter has an outstanding jumping content.
In pairs - TT/MM would have easily won Vancouver with the same programs and skates as they showed in Torino. If exciting means O faces to never ending bombastic music that is aimed to hide lack of lines - well, its okay :). S/S could have been a breakthrough couple in Vancouver, had they skated their innovative and unhacked programs clean, but unfortunately they lost due to the pressure.
And finally the 2010 men's competition was no better than 2006.

And I'd say - they best games were either 1992 or 1994 :)
The number of names, signature programs and drama exceeds even what there was in 2002.

poths
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
No. 2010 has the most votes because of the quality of skating. Please show me another major competition in which the final ladies flight has zero falls. That's one point for starters.

2010 has the most votes because the majority of people voting have never seen a pre 21st century Olympics!

judgejudy27
12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
The ladies event in 2010 was the greatest ever but that is only 1 of the 4 disciplines of skating.