PDA

View Full Version : Best Olympic Games

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

bardtoob
12-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Calgary.

olympic
12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
There was great moments and blahdom in each olympiad, so very hard for me to rank, but I'll give you my feelings:

Sarajevo '84 - Watchable just because of T/D in Ice Dance and Orser in the Men's LP; everything else was pretty blah. Witt was somewhat interesting, but Sumners underperforming and the rest of the ladies were just not that exciting for me - the top all had issues with either figures or free skating.

Calgary '88 - Better than '84 due to G/G in Pairs. I thought V/V were a little sloppy but were always a great pair; Battle of the Brians in the Men's comp; and Midori Ito in the ladies competition with a 3z and 3t-3t, and happy for Manley winning Silver with a 3z, [but I thought she was overscored in the SP] took it up a level in ladies. I found the Ice Dance unmemorable.

Albertville '92 - Not as great as '88 but better than '84 - mediocre men's competition although happy for Wylie; and Ladies were a huge letdown not because of the medalists, but because so much more was expected technically. Although Ice Dance and M/D saved these games from complete mediocrity.

Lillehamer '94 - OK. Even. The pairs competition due to G/G, M/D, was sterling and even B/E had the skate of their life. The ice dance was good between G/P, U/Z and T/D, too. But I thought Men's and Ladies were subpar once again. Ladies took a step back technically from the ambitions of '92 and none of the men skated their best and impressed me at all

Nagano '98 - Just Better than '94. Kwan vs. Lipinski in the Ladies competition, Lulu's emotional Bronze, and Kulik in the Men's competition resurrected the Singles this olympiad, Ice Dance was decent but for me not as riveting as the two previous olympiads. I found Pairs pretty unexciting, too

SLC '02 - On the whole- meh. Not as good as '94 and '98: I only thought the Men were technically dazzling; the Ladies with Sarah Hughes winning and Kwan, Slutskaya and Butyrskaya all subpar was a letdown. I also wasn't a big fan of Ice Dance this time either - A/P couldn't match '00 Worlds FD to 'Carmina Burana', L/A were not that interesting to me and FP/M, B/K stumbling were also subpar. Pairs was a total distraction with the whole B/S v. S/P scoring fiasco taking away from the competition. S/Z were still not that exciting, and Dullmianina/Dullinin at this time were snoozeworthy

Torino '06 - Even less riveting than '02: Plushenko's jump clinic programs weren't that interesting and I found the Men's comp to be a big step-down from '02 with Buttle stumbling to the podium and Lysacek in '06 form getting close to the podium. I also wasn't on fire for the Ladies with Arakawa skating nicely but conservatively for the Gold and Slutskaya, Cohen both falling. I suppose I should be impressed by T/M winning but I found their skating blah after past winners like G/G, M/D, B/S. Z/Z on the podium was a travesty. I guess the closeness of the competition in Ice Dance was a highlight of this Olympiad.

Vancouver '10 - Good. Close men's competition even if a step down jump-wise from '02 and '06 kept me interested. Also the ladies were finally outstanding for the first time since '98 - Kim's 3z-3t; Mao's 3 3x's; Rochette's overcoming grief to medal for Canada for the first time since Manley. V/M and D/W in Ice Dance [especially D/W's OD] were great to watch. I found pairs to be just OK. Though, I missed being mesmerized by a top Soviet/Russian Pair. The Chinese dominance doesn't impress me as much as Soviet/Russian dominance. I respect S/Z but for some reason, it all seemed so manufactured this year to me

kwanette
12-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I picked Vancouver because my heart wasn't broken...Happy with the outcome of the men's, fine with dance and ladies, and thrilled with prs. If I could have given Tanith and Ben the bronze and Johnny the bronze with Plushenko staying home, then it would have been perfect.

liv
12-20-2010, 10:12 PM
calgary: pairs: young, perfect G/G
men: battle of the brians
women: witt, new midori
dance: kind of meh, but advent of duchesnays

Allen
12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
1992 was the first Olympics where I really watched figure skating and knew what was going on. I was twelve and thought I was the bees knees because I could tell a lutz from a salchow.

Fergus
12-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Calgary '88!!!

The glitz! The glam! The rivalries! :watch: Big poofy 80's skating hair on the gals AND the guys!

Allen
12-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Calgary '88!!!

The glitz! The glam! The rivalries! :watch: Big poofy 80's skating hair on the gals AND the guys!

Plus you had Midori's absolutely fabulous short program.

chmea
12-21-2010, 02:53 AM
LOL at all the votes for Vancouver. Other than the ladies event and Virtue & Moir what was great about that. A splatfest mens event, a splatfest pairs event, and a weak overall dance field with the worst crop of Euro teams in history by a huge margin.

:huh: sorry but 2006 Dance event at torino was weaker than Vancouver

Domshabfan
12-21-2010, 03:18 AM
1994 all the way... best pairs competition

PEKINGMOO
12-21-2010, 04:08 AM
My first Olympics of awareness was 1988...and I loved G&G and the Battle of the Brians, but hands down...1994. I think the over saturation of an alternating Olympic games hadn't quite sunk in...plus you had the "pro's" coming back (many of whom were in good shape barely having retired 1 year). All 4 events were filled with excitement for various reasons already posted here that I wont restate.

briancoogaert
12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
LOL at all the votes for Vancouver. Other than the ladies event and Virtue & Moir what was great about that. A splatfest mens event, a splatfest pairs event, and a weak overall dance field with the worst crop of Euro teams in history by a huge margin.
Well, All the Olympic champions in Vancouver were great and skated perfectly. that was not the case in every Olympics. ;)

allezfred
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Maybe because compared to Torino it actually was a very well skated event? :lol:

I think Torino really suffered in terms of skating performances being the first Olympics held under CoP which everybody was still adjusting to. There were a lot more skaters who had "grown up" with CoP in Vancouver, hence the better performances.

My opinion may also be coloured by the fact that I liked three of the four gold medallists in Torino compared with zero in Vancouver. :shuffle:

Plus Skary Babs deathstare may be my all-time favourite moment! :cheer2:

judgejudy27
12-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, All the Olympic champions in Vancouver were great and skated perfectly. that was not the case in every Olympics. ;)

That is a matter of the opinion. Lysacek is definitely not a great Olympic Champion IMO. One of the least special skaters to ever win such a title. And Shen & Zhou did not skate perfectly at all in the LP, they even lost the LP to Pang & Tong and wouldnt have won the gold with that performance if the Germans or Russians had skated better.

I would say in Turin all the winners were great Olympic Champions who skated perfectly more than Vancouver. All 4 Olympic winners of 2006 are better Olympic Champions than Lysacek, and all 4 skated better than Shen & Zhou (or Lysacek) did in Vancouver to win there.

senorita
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Slc was the best!

judgejudy27
12-21-2010, 01:21 PM
:huh: sorry but 2006 Dance event at torino was weaker than Vancouver

It depends what you define as better or weaker. I prefer the 2010 winner to the 2006 winners. The 2006 and 2010 runner ups are similar. And the rest of the top 8 from 2006 was much better than 2010. After the top 2 in 2010 everyone sucked at the time (other than the wuzrobbed 4th place finishers). It is great to see the NA teams so strong in dance now but the Russian and overall European teams are the worst ever by far.