PDA

View Full Version : Help re: Facebook friends' gaming activity

Pages : [1] 2

Bonita
12-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I tried using Facebook's help, as well as Googling - I guess I am describing it incorrectly. I'm hoping someone can help....

My aunt and a friend's wife are both FB friends of mine. However, they play those endless games (Farmville, Solitaire, etc.) and 95% of their wall is game-related. How do I shut off the game news and see the actual news? I could care less what is growing on Farmville, but I do care about them and don't want to shut them off entirely!

LordCirque
12-19-2010, 12:26 AM
On your Newsfeed on the right hand side is an invisible X, the next time you see these game posts, place your mouse of the post and an X wil appear, click on it, several options will appear, "Hide Person, Hide Application, etc...'' click Hide Application and that should do the trick.

Bonita
12-19-2010, 12:32 AM
That worked, thanks! I'm pretty good at computers, but sometimes I find FB baffling!

LordCirque
12-19-2010, 12:41 AM
That's because they change how it works every 10 minutes.

algonquin
12-19-2010, 12:53 AM
That's because they change how it works every 10 minutes.:lol:, more like every five minutes.

skatemommy
12-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Yes, and I am "offline" status as people I barely know would chat with me. Ugh and the games...

UMBS Go Blue
12-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Yes, and I am "offline" status as people I barely know would chat with me. Ugh and the games...1) Don't be friends with people you don't know ;)
2) If it's even an option to chat with non-friends, then don't set "chat" to anyone but friends. ;)

Allen
12-19-2010, 02:47 PM
I play Farmville, but I try to do as little as possible that posts to news feeds or on people's walls. You don't actually have to do all of those notifications.

I keep getting notifications that people have accepted my friend request when I didn't request their friendship. Is this happening to anyone else? In both cases, it wasn't someone I wanted to be friends with, but didn't feel like I could just immediately delete them. One of them was a former student and I do not ask to add my former students. If they ask to add me, that's one thing, but now I feel really weird about this student.

Aceon6
12-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Allen... just delete them and don't obsess about it. My work, family and true friend circles have very little overlap, yet someone at work keeps sending friend requests because I'm friends with another co-worker. I have to continually remind him that my Facebook circle is small (true) and is limited to family and very close friends. He still doesn't get it, likely because his definition of a FB friend is quite different than mine.

Allen
12-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Allen... just delete them and don't obsess about it. My work, family and true friend circles have very little overlap, yet someone at work keeps sending friend requests because I'm friends with another co-worker. I have to continually remind him that my Facebook circle is small (true) and is limited to family and very close friends. He still doesn't get it, likely because his definition of a FB friend is quite different than mine.

My circle on facebook is not quite as limited as yours, Aceon, but at the same time, I didn't really want to be friends with these people. So far, they haven't bothered me or posted on my wall much, so I'm just going to see how it goes.

Really
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I have two FB pages; a personal one, and one for school. My students all know they can request friendship on the second, but I will not make requests of them. I've had a few people I barely know request friendship on both pages, and I just ignore them. I maintain as much control as possible over both pages, but it's like I tell my students -- once you put it out there, you can't get it back (check out http://www.archive.org/), and don't ever assume anything you put out there is private. Given some of the things they still put out there, I'm not sure they believe the first, and don't really care about the second -- yet.

nerdycool
12-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm guilty of putting a lot of gaming posts out, sometimes to a point where it annoys me. But the nature of the game I play makes it necessary to do it if I want to advance in the game. But I let all my friends know how to make them disappear, and occasionally remind them just in case they missed the first 4 times.

Allen
12-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I made the mistake of letting some people who play farmville with a friend of mine add me to play farmville. I work with many of them in an organization I volunteer for, so I don't want to delete them, but I've put many of them on hide so I don't have to see their ultra-conservative rants.

Allen
12-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Double Post

Erica Lee
12-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I, too, like playing the games and but don't necessarily like that you have to bug others to do it... and I know not everyone knows how to hide notifications from certain apps... so the more the word about this feature gets out there, the better!

I wish facebook had an option to only post to the feeds of those who also played the game but they don't. There is a way to make your own custom list, and I do that sometimes, but it's a pain to keep updated and every. single. time. I post a notification, I have to change the security settings to post to only that group... and it takes 3 or 4 clicks to get there... it's a big pain.

I do add people just to play games.. but they get added to a special group that can't see anything on my profile and I hide all their updates too.