PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Libertango
12-28-2010, 09:02 AM
I think it's also because in some languages it's also called more often the equivalent of "ice" skating (eiskunstlauf, patinage sur glace,...) or also something like "artistic" than that of "figure" skating

"Patinage artistique" is used more.

reut
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I really loved this thread, so I will add here some of my family stories hoping that people will notice it again and add more of their stories too. :)

All my family of course knows about my passion. And they try to follow as much as they can. I got a phone call today from my aunt who watched "Kings on Ice" show yesterday on Russian TV. Of course she liked Lambiel (at least she knew she had to say that :D) and also she really loved "that pair... Mu... Muh... Muhr?" (Mukhortova/Trankov). It was their last performance together and the host announced it, my aunt was really upset to know that they split. "Because they are so beautiful together and they are much better than that Japanese or Chinese girl" (Kavaguti). She asked me why they split, I answered that it's a looooong story and I will tell her when I see her. :)

My parents are involved too. This is sweet how they mostly cheer for me cheering for someone. After Lambiel's disastrous short in Tallinn at last Euros I got from them a call, they really worried about me. "And I still loved him more [than Plushenko]", added my Dad. Day after that my Mom even missed her favourite TV-series to watch men's long, my Dad wrote me later that day that he didn't watch FS for maybe 25 years and he didn't remember himself cheering for someone so seriously. :) "The music suits him so well. He just needs to fix his jumps and he'll be a real champion".

zilam98
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Not funny, but something I've noticed. I call our sport "skating" or "figure skating." Most non or casual fans seem to call it "ice skating." Whenever someone calls it "ice skating" it sets off an alarm to me that they don't really know very much.

I could be wrong in this assumption. What do most of you call it?

my boyfriend and his wards call it finger painting :lol:

zilam98
01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
my mom and another friend of mine would watch figureskating when men are involved (singles, pairs, dance) just to see their "butts of steel"

leafygreens
01-04-2011, 03:29 PM
my boyfriend and his wards call it finger painting :lol:

A thinly-veiled reference to The Cutting Edge?

JerseySlore
01-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Mom remembers only four skaters from Vancouver. Kim, Asada, "the adorable Rachael kid" and "Japanese Anaksunamun" :rofl:
She apparently had a huge argument with dad because he kept insisting Kim looked catty and bitchy unlike the sweet-looking Japanese girl.:duh: I'm guessing he meant Asada.

Nomad
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I was at my parents' house for 2009 US Nat's. My mother came into the room just as Johnny Weir was taking the ice. Her comment was something like "That girl would look much better in a dress."

MikiAndoFan#1
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I was at my parents' house for 2009 US Nat's. My mother came into the room just as Johnny Weir was taking the ice. Her comment was something like "That girl would look much better in a dress."

:lol:

olympic
01-04-2011, 05:26 PM
my mom and another friend of mine would watch figureskating when men are involved (singles, pairs, dance) just to see their "butts of steel"

There are probably a lot of avid fans and FSUers that do the same :o

Nomad
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
^ My FS buddy and I always add SB (shapely buttocks) points to the men's final scores. :shuffle:

olympic
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
^ My FS buddy and I always add SB (shapely buttocks) points to the men's final scores. :shuffle:

You ought to do a list with highest total score and all that. It'd be an interesting read ;)

Nomad
01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
You ought to do a list with highest total score and all that. It'd be an interesting read ;)

Hmmm. That would take time. We've been been awarding SB points since Lillehamar.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 03:54 AM
My partner has turned into a casual fan because of me but little else. He has a big mouth so his comments are :lol: and :eek: He tends to describe the skaters because most of the time he can't remember their names -

Rachael Flatt is the 'chubby girl'
Mirai Nagasu is the 'girl whose parents own the Sushi Restaurant'
Joubert is considered hot, cuz he'll stop what he's doing to watch Joubert skate.

He also has a view on who is interesting to watch and who isn't -

Lysacek and Lambiel skate with passion, but Chan doesn't. Alissa Czisny and Sasha Cohen are the only interesting US ladies, even excludes Kwan. Butyrskaya was gorgeous and graceful while Slutskaya 'skates like a truck driver'

I also wonder how many other casual fans are turned off by his opinion - how can someone fall so often and still win??

Love it!

I would get on so well with him! :D

I was watching the OD from the 2009 Canadian Championships with a friend. Virtue & Moir skated last. My friend said "So am I right in thinking that this team is competing in a higher division than the other teams we watched?". I had to explain that she was partially correct. None of the other teams would make top 10 at Worlds but V&M would likely win a medal.

Ah, I love the (not at all) subtle "Virtue/Moir are the best (I love them since I watched them in Pre-Toddler Ice Dance at Frog Pond Summer Skate)!" dig here. :D

Artifice
01-05-2011, 10:33 AM

lol

I do understand that a good looking butt is something that enhances a male body and I know that some women look at that. If I myself also look at males butts, I must say that although it's good looking, it actually does no more than that to me. It's just a good looking butt, and I'd rather look at other features on a male body than the butt.

And now starts my "scientific" analysis that-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-topic-but-that-I-have-been-questionning-for-ages ;) (it's a real serious analysis made by actual scientits) : Sorry for the serious tonality of the following explanation, I actually quite liked that when I learned it !

In the prehistoric times, when we were monkeys walking on 4 feet (yes yes, the good old times !), males used to look at females back because the vision of the genital parts was sexually exciting for them. These parts were highly visible because they were prominent and the position of being on 4 feet helped a lot to see them. But with the time beeing, as you know, we, monkeys, started to stand on 2 feet. As a consequence genital parts became less visible because not as exposed to the view as it used to be when we were on 4 feet. From that time the parts were hidden by the butt and the only thing kept visible for males eyes was actually the butt. And it therefore "replaced" genital parts as the exciting body feature of female body. That's why men like to watch women's butt a lot !
But(t) lol, and that's my point, from a woman's point of view, there is no historical reason to watch this part of the male's body. Historically females were not excited by males genital parts (that by the way became more visible on 2 feet than on 4 feet :lol:), and by extension the males butts.

So, I don't really get all the excitement around men's butt. I aknowledge that a butt of steal is good looking but to me it's not exciting, and it's not supposed to be exciting. At least it's not as exciting as it is for a man looking to a woman's butt:shuffle:. Definitely the man gets sexually excited. As a woman I'd rather watch the torso or hands, that to me are more a proof of virility than a butt !
To me the males butts excitement is more the result of a sort of social thing, and the feminist theory "if men like/do this, women can as well". And years after years it has become like a norm to like men's butts and get excited about that. But it's pretty much something new and artificial.

Well, that's just my off-topic crisis lol, but I grabed the occasion since I often hear of women getting crazy about males butts whithout really understanding the real attractivity of it.:P

Anyway keep looking at male skaters butts of steal if it pleases your eyes, I myself look at them, more as a part of a whole than for the specific butt hype though.:cool:

Ozzisk8tr
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM

So obviously Ponsero won by a landslide right?