PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

paskatefan
12-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Another of them swore up and down that Paul Wylie was Jewish and I could not convince her otherwise, even when I told her he was a born-again Christian.

Do you think she said that because he skated to music from "Schindler's List," not to mention that his vest had Hebrew words on it (IIRC, saying "Never Again" in translation)?

Your whole post was a hoot! :lol: :) ;)

attyfan
12-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

"Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"

I'm not surprised. Around the '98 Olys, I heard so many people confusing "Lipinski" with "Lewinsky" that, when Michelle was asked to give Clinton the Oly jacket, I assumed that someone the White House had vetoed the idea of Tara as the jacket-giver.

Poggi
12-25-2010, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine realized with genuine surprise, that "they can spin a lot more when they are on the ice, not in the air" :)

mkats
12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
One of my non-skating friends went on and on about "CPU, the new judging system..."

snoopysnake
12-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Do you think she said that because he skated to music from "Schindler's List," not to mention that his vest had Hebrew words on it (IIRC, saying "Never Again" in translation)?

Your whole post was a hoot! :lol: :) ;)

Actually, yes, she did see that on TV and said that was where Paul said he was Jewish. She came up with some real doozies (like the female meteorologist being nervy enough to take credit for inventing Doppler radar, the definition of which she hadn't a clue, simply because the weather was labeled "First Alert Doppler.") God rest her soul. I do miss my wacky, wonderful aunts.

victoriaheidi
12-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Oh, my gosh, I think my favorite was the time I told someone that she was turning into a "regular Dorothy Hamill" on the ice, and her response was, "who?"

arakwafan2006
12-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Hillarious.

arakwafan2006
12-26-2010, 04:20 PM
My brother insists that Michelle Kwan Won gold in 98 because he REMEMBERS talking about it at work the next day...:confused:

victoriaheidi
12-26-2010, 07:59 PM
My brother insists that Michelle Kwan Won gold in 98 because he REMEMBERS talking about it at work the next day...:confused:

I've heard similar, mostly because my generation grew up with Michelle, and Tara was gone from the competitive scene after 1998. So a lot of people my age who aren't particularly knowledgeable remember Michelle Kwan as an OGM (and very few know who Tara is, which I think is kind of sad).

Artifice
12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
I've heard similar, mostly because my generation grew up with Michelle, and Tara was gone from the competitive scene after 1998. So a lot of people my age who aren't particularly knowledgeable remember Michelle Kwan as an OGM (and very few know who Tara is, which I think is kind of sad).

Yeah it's sad because an olympic champion could expect to be remembered. But at the same time Tara retired so early vs Michelle, who remains competitive and who won lots of world titles, managed to stay on top for much longer than Tara did.
Unfair from a certain point of view, not so much from another.

victoriaheidi
12-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah it's sad because an olympic champion could expect to be remembered. But at the same time Tara retired so early vs Michelle, who remains competitive and who won lots of world titles, managed to stay on top for much longer than Tara did.
Unfair from a certain point of view, not so much from another.

Also, Tara did kind of vanish for a while. Michelle has always sort of been there. Not that long ago, Seventeen Magazine did a sports article, and Michelle Kwan was voted one of the readers' favorite athletes. Keep in mind that this was 2008 or 2009, so she's stayed with us.

Skittl1321
12-27-2010, 06:03 PM
So true! I hadn't realized before, but its actually kind of a pet peeve of mine when people call figure skating "ice skating." It's like calling soccer "running." :P

Why? Figures aren't a part of the sport anymore... so "figure" skating doesn't really describe what is happening at all.

I think I actually refer to it as ice skating more than figure skating, and I compete as an adult.

I think a more apt analogy would be calling soccer "ball kicking". It gets the gist of it- running doesn't describe soccer at all.

kia_4EverOnIce
12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I think it's also because in some languages it's also called more often the equivalent of "ice" skating (eiskunstlauf, patinage sur glace,...) or also something like "artistic" than that of "figure" skating.

Funny things: all my friends calling me when there's skating on tv! yesterday I got a call at 3 AM (luckily my mobile was off!) from a friend who wanted to tell me he had seen Alexei Plushenko on TV! Guess I spoke too much in 2002...:D

victoriaheidi
12-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Funny things: all my friends calling me when there's skating on tv! yesterday I got a call at 3 AM (luckily my mobile was off!) from a friend who wanted to tell me he had seen Alexei Plushenko on TV! Guess I spoke too much in 2002...:D

Haha! I get the same thing.

Cherub721
12-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Oh that reminds me of a good embarrassing story... once, my mom forwarded me a video with the subject "You're going to love this!!!!!"

The video was Plushenko's Sex Bomb. :rolleyes: And this was 2005 so it was very old news by then.

And the sad part is, I DO love that program. :o