PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

IceJunkie
12-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Not funny, but something I've noticed. I call our sport "skating" or "figure skating." Most non or casual fans seem to call it "ice skating." Whenever someone calls it "ice skating" it sets off an alarm to me that they don't really know very much.

I could be wrong in this assumption. What do most of you call it?
So true! I hadn't realized before, but its actually kind of a pet peeve of mine when people call figure skating "ice skating." It's like calling soccer "running." :P

skateboy
12-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

"Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"

RunnersHigh
12-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lipinski... :lol:

Mafke
12-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Oh great, now I've got some really, really sick mental images. Now I want to pour bleach in my mind's eye.....

professordeb
12-23-2010, 04:50 PM

It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

That made me laugh so hard that I started to cough. :lol:

MikiAndoFan#1
12-23-2010, 05:12 PM

:rofl:

luvsasha2
12-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Today I went to see Tangled. It was really cute, but anyways, I couldn't help but think that Rapunzel totally looked like Kiira Korpi and the prince totally looked like Samuel Contesti. It was really funny, actually.

TANGLED <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Anyway, i feel like i should write something that's actually on topic-

hmmm....my family doesn't particularly say funny things about skating, but they sometimes ask me if Sasha is still skating. They always liked Evan, and Tanith/Ben though, and one time my mom said that Jeremy was cute (or something like that; it was a happy day because I love his skating). Currently, they have no idea who anybody is and sometimes they ask me about Caroline (who I think is 'the little Asian girl'). My dad loved Emily Hughes when she was skating because she really went for everything. One skater that they do NOT like is Johnny and have their own name for him

MorganaLefay
12-23-2010, 06:01 PM
While watching Han/Sui on Universal Sports with my 3.5 y.o. son--they have lots of Children's fund commercials during the broadcast that I tried to explain to him "see these kids have nothing to eat, they are not as fortunate as you are"--my son asks, "Mommy, does this girl also have nothing to eat?"

PS: I think I am raising him to be a FS fan, but it was still too funny!

pinky166
12-23-2010, 07:51 PM
While watching Han/Sui on Universal Sports with my 3.5 y.o. son--they have lots of Children's fund commercials during the broadcast that I tried to explain to him "see these kids have nothing to eat, they are not as fortunate as you are"--my son asks, "Mommy, does this girl also have nothing to eat?"

PS: I think I am raising him to be a FS fan, but it was still too funny!

LOL that's funny, especially considering Sui is TINY. :lol:

pinky166
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lipinski... :lol:

Don't forget Frank Carroll's "Lepinska" :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYv1RVvdc0

He seemed a little ticked off when he realized that Laura LEPISTO (Lepinska according to him) with her 2 triples beat Mirai with :P

withrespect
12-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Rod Black after a skater fell forwards "what a header" BOAL:biggrinbo

Dragonlady
12-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I was watching the OD from the 2009 Canadian Championships with a friend. Virtue & Moir skated last. My friend said "So am I right in thinking that this team is competing in a higher division than the other teams we watched?". I had to explain that she was partially correct. None of the other teams would make top 10 at Worlds but V&M would likely win a medal.

I worked with a woman who patiently explained to me that costumes are very important in figure skating and account for a big percentage of a skater's marks. Why else would they hire Vera Wang to make their dresses if not to get more points from the judges? And there was no convincing her that this wasn't true.

nyrak
12-24-2010, 07:36 AM

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks :D

Domshabfan
12-24-2010, 08:05 AM

That was worth repeating and it made me laugh so much that i have a migraine.

snoopysnake
12-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Leading up to the 94 Olympics I was talking to my 80-something aunts and remarking how much I wanted Nancy Kerrigan to win and my oldest aunt said, "Well, I like Sonya better." Another of them swore up and down that Paul Wylie was Jewish and I could not convince her otherwise, even when I told her he was a born-again Christian. My father, who was born in 1919, insisted that he used to see Jojo Starbuck in the Ice Follies back in the 1940's and that she was about his age.