PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

nyrak
12-19-2010, 05:33 AM
I remember being at Canadian nationals in Calgary in 2000....Kurt Browning had been retired for 6 years at the time, but his picture was in the program as he was being inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fameat the event....a lady behind me opened her program, saw his picture and exclaimed so-excitedly (seriously like she was about to burst) "Is Kurt competing?!"

At the same competion there was a lady skating called Annie Bazinet, someone near me wondered if she was any relation to the choreographer, Sandra Bazinet ;)

TwizzlerS
12-19-2010, 05:34 AM
When each of my 2 kids were about 3 yrs old, they wanted to get my attention onto them instead of watching skating on TV. My daughter climbed to the top of the couch and jumped off saying that she could do a double poopy. My son did something similar but said he was going to do a double whip.

RockTheTassel
12-19-2010, 05:56 AM
It took a lot of explaining before my mom understood that the SP and LP were not seperate competitions. After watching the men's short program during the last Olympics, she was all distraught over Plushenko getting gold instead of Evan.

During the 2006 Olympics, my brother was convinced that Shizuka Arakawa was Michelle Kwan and informed me that she finally won the gold medal.

A friend of mine was watching the 2010 US nationals ladies LP with me and kept asking me to let her know when the skater was going to do a triple axel.

Watching and talking about skating with non-fans is fun. :lol:

Polymer Bob
12-19-2010, 06:03 AM
One of my relatives asks, when any Asian female skater is on the ice "Isn't that Nancy Kwan? She still hasn't retired?" :duh:

I was at the Champions on Ice show in Hartford, CT in April of 2006. I had taken pictures, and I sent a picture of Michelle to my mother.
She replied, "That's Nancy Quon."

victoriajh
12-19-2010, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=LongTimeLurker;2992001]Oh, I have some, courtesy of my bf. He used to call Todd Eldridge "No Quad Todd".QUOTE]

well that is better than what I used to call him.....;)

briancoogaert
12-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Long ago while watching Anissina and Peizerat at some competition on TV, my niece wondered why two ladies were skating together. :D
Well, at TEB, few years ago, the old lady sitting next to me told me, during the Men LP : "I didn't know that the competition was opened to men and women at the same time". She was talking about Sergei Dobrin. ;)

Other thing, not funny at all, that my brother told me in 1993.
"You'll see, Lu Chen will be on the podium at the Olympics and Surya Bonaly will be in 4th".
And then again, at 1994 Junior Worlds : "You'll see, Michelle Kwan will be World champion in the next few years".

I wonder what are his thoughts about FS these days ! :lol:

screech
12-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I got my picture taken with Alexei Yagudin when I was 18 (just after he won the O's), and my mom had it up on the fridge for a bit. One of her non-skating fan friends saw it and said 'Oh, he's cute! Is that her boyfriend?' My mom replied with a resounding 'yes'. :D

IceJunkie
12-19-2010, 09:18 AM
At work the other day, my coworker said "Oh! I thought of you - I was watching figure skating!" (the GPF) and we proceeded to talk about it. I actually hadn't gotten a chance to watch the competition at that point yet. :shuffle:

Coworker: "This one Japanese guy fell TWICE. I couldn't believe it. TWICE!"
Me: "Well, believe it or not, that's not actually that uncommon."
Coworker: "But these are suppose to be professionals! The best of the best!"

Libertango
12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
My dad and I were watching the (delayed) broadcast of TEB in 2007 and he really loved K/N better than "the french who won" (Delshoe). He had only one problem: is she really allowed to dress up like that (http://foto.mail.ru/mail/mig2555/37467/37533.html) :P ? Then I told him that they indeed had a costume deduction but it was because he was wearing tights, not because of her.

My 3 year old nephew came to me while I was watching an ice dance FD on youtube and he started watching the end with me. He was quiet and really seemed focused on it so I asked him if he liked it and he answered "yes, because they spin and turn!!!" and I told him "you are so right! This is what ice dance is all about now!" :lol:

paskatefan
12-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh, I have some, courtesy of my bf. He used to call Todd Eldredge "No Quad Todd".

Gee, that's mean spirited. :eek: :( - I just don't care about quads to the exclusion of everything else in skating, but that's JMHO, so I don't want to get into a heated quad/no quad debate here.

I have a friend who's a casual fan at best. She gets confused with men's skaters names in particular - Kurt Eldredge/Todd Hamilton/Browning. I usually end up correcting her gently. :lol: :D

OTOH, I have friends who do ask me whom to watch for in the various competitions.

DickButtonFan
12-19-2010, 01:28 PM
My friend and I were talking about the Vancouver olympics and I asked him who he thought would win the women's competition. He said ohhh I know... Nancy Kerrigan!!!!

Lololol

hanca
12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Mu Aunt claims to be a fan of Igor Evgenevich. (Plushenko) When I came back from TEB last year she asked if Kiki Wada was there- still not sure who that was meant to be!

Kiki Wada? Maybe Kiri Baga?

Cherub721
12-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Coworker: "This one Japanese guy fell TWICE. I couldn't believe it. TWICE!"
Me: "Well, believe it or not, that's not actually that uncommon."
Coworker: "But these are suppose to be professionals! The best of the best!"

Show her Chan's 2010 Skate Canada SP. She'll be traumatized for life. :lol:

let`s talk
12-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Show her Chan's 2010 Skate Canada SP. She'll be traumatized for life. :lol:

:rofl:

senorita
12-19-2010, 03:05 PM
He had only one problem: is she really allowed to dress up like that (http://foto.mail.ru/mail/mig2555/37467/37533.html) :P ? Then I told him that they indeed had a costume deduction but it was because he was wearing tights, not because of her.

men are not allowed to wear tights?