PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

isask8
01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
During anouncement of a gala performance by Lambiel, the anouncer said "... en nu de huidige wereldkampioen", she remarked "ja, ja, ik weet dat hij een huid heeft..." which is difficult to translate and more about a language misunderstanding. (she was about 9 at the time)

Very funny (and cute):lol:

sadya
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks. Pleasant to meet another person from Holland. :)

isask8
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Yes! It's always nice to meet other figure skating fans from this speed-skating country:)

sadya
01-20-2011, 07:31 PM
So true!

crawall
01-20-2011, 08:33 PM

This transplanted Canadian ling in Flanders also found it funny. :lol:

sadya
01-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Figure skating does bring people from all over the world together in peace. :)

misskarne
01-23-2011, 06:55 AM
It's funny to think it's nearly a whole year since I started following figure skating...but here's how it began, and it's related...

Setting: Vancouver, Men's Long Program. Viewed from: my couch, Australia.

(1. You can already tell this won't be good.)

Knowledge of figure skating at the time: There's a Russian guy who thinks this quad thingy is pretty good, an American guy who PETA threatened, and a Russian ice dance pair who decided it was okay to insult our indigenous culture.

Observations during final six skaters:

- They fell! Shouldn't they be coming last now? (Chan and Takahashi)

- Oooooooooh, he's cute! (Lambiel.)

- Those are awesomely fast spins for such a young kid. (Lambiel; my younger sister was mortified when I informed her later that the "young cute Swiss kid" was actually 26 and a double world champion. We thought he was a first-Olympic rookie. Ooops.)

- Hey, it's the fur guy! (Weir.)

- But how come he's behind the people who fell? (Weir's score)

- EWWWWWWWWWWW, he looks like a slimy greasy Disney villian! (Lysacek.)

- Why do his jumps look all funny? (Lysacek)

- EWWWWWWW STOP TOUCHING YOURSELF! (Lysacek.)

- Hey, it's the Russian guy! (Plushenko)

- That was that quad loopy thingy! (Plushenko)

- Shouldn't he get extra points for not falling? (Plushenko's 3Lz, to this day, I still do not know how he landed that jump.)

- He's fun! He's enjoying himself! He's passionate! (Plushenko - I believe this observation particularly pertained to the ass-circle and blown kiss)

- He did that quad loopy thing, he must have won, right? (While waiting for Plushenko's scores)

- Wait. He didn't win, the American guy did, this is in Canada. Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, like that's all fair and cochre.... (An unbelievably astute observation from my younger sister on the politics of fs.)

- But he did hte quad loopy thing! How did he lose to the guy who didn't do the quad loopy thing?

One year on, I now understand a lot more than I did then...and some observations remain the same.

Additional:

Dad's comment when I came home excited from my lesson and told him I'd learned my waltz jump:

"Can you do a double one yet?"

skateboy
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Entire post

Good stuff!

AnnieBgood
01-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I was at my Aunts this past Christmas for a family party. I put it on the Brian Boitano special.
My Uncle & Grandma were trying to pronounce his last name. "Is it Bwa-tanno?" "I think so."

I love my family. lol

PDilemma
01-24-2011, 11:38 PM
In 2005, I was at a speech meet and told my students to go ahead and find a way to steal the enormous Michelle Kwan "Got Milk" banner that was hanging in the cafeteria and we could hang it in my classroom.

This conversation followed:

Student: Why? Who is it?
A Mother who had accompanied us to the meet: It's Michelle Kwan! How do you not know that? She won the Olympic gold medal three times!

MikiAndoFan#1
01-24-2011, 11:41 PM
In 2005, I was at a speech meet and told my students to go ahead and find a way to steal the enormous Michelle Kwan "Got Milk" banner that was hanging in the cafeteria and we could hang it in my classroom.

A Mother who had accompanied us to the meet: It's Michelle Kwan! How do you not know that? She won the Olympic gold medal three times!

:rofl:

Polymer Bob
01-25-2011, 02:48 AM
I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

"Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"

I've told this a few times, and it's NOT worth repeating. :P

March 3rd, 2007, I had to go into work on a Saturday morning. The ladies' freeskate at Junior Worlds in Germany had taken place a few hours earlier. I checked the results at my desk and saw that the U.S. ladies had swept the podium.

One of my coworkers was at his desk. I told him, "Hey Dave, the American girls just swept the podium at the Junior World Figure Skating Championship in Germany.
He replied, "Really? .... Who are they?"
I told him, "Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner."
He then replied, "Well, except for that last one, the first two don't sound very American."

Extranjera
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG!!! That's my favourite thread ever!!! :rofl:

sk8junkie
01-27-2011, 06:01 AM
I told my cousin last week that I have tickets to Nationals in Greensboro, and she told me that she just loves Scott Hamilton and Nancy Kerrigan, and she hopes they win.

I'm going to hate breaking her heart in a couple of days when I have to tell her that Scott and Nancy didn't win.

On a similar note, the local news media has been referring to the novice and junior levels as the "early phases" of the competition, and have been informing their viewing audience that "the professionals" won't be on the ice until later in the competition.

I know that there's no longer any true "professional" and "amateur" designations, but it still rubs me the wrong way. The least that NEWS REPORTERS could do is to correctly refer to them as "eligible" instead of "professional". (Maybe that's why my cousin has her fingers crossed for Scott and Nancy???)

delayedaxel
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
When I skate at my rink, doing a waltz jump or single salchow, little kids either ask: "Are you a REAL figure skater?" (meaning starting at World Championchips), or, this happened once, a boy asks: "Can you do a triple (!) axel?"

When I replied: "Er... no", the reaction was: "Boah, you're sooooo bad!" :lol: