PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

olympic
01-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Another story-

I was back in rural PA for my Grandmother's funeral service and I managed to catch the Ladies SP of the '99 World Championships at my parents house. My BIL, whose only hobbies are the Pittsburgh Steelers and Hunting, was unable to understand how Sarah Hughes was behind Michelle Kwan with a fall in the SP. He kept trying to tell me that the sport wasn't worth watching because the events were pre-decided.

Artifice
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Why do I not choose to ignore people more often?

Because you like to enter into contradiction with people without trying to understand their point. When you start to understand that you don't have any relevant argument, you get angry like you just did and start grumbeling.

Tanja90
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Three years ago I had to do a gymnastics lesson to my class at high school instead of the teacher. Needless to say that I choose as the main argument figure skating! I started showing a video with all the elements made by some skaters such as plushenko, stephane lambiel, sasha cohen and carolina kostner.

My teacher went out with lots of silly things and I was like :wall:
The best was:

"The FLIPPER is a very nice jump!" :dog::duh:

MikiAndoFan#1
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Three years ago I had to do a gymnastics lesson to my class at high school instead of the teacher. Needless to say that I choose as the main argument figure skating! I started showing a video with all the elements made by some skaters such as plushenko, stephane lambiel, sasha cohen and carolina kostner.

My teacher went out with lots of silly things and I was like :wall:
The best was:

"The FLIPPER is a very nice jump!" :dog::duh:

:lol:

Tanja90
01-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I have another story...well it's not about silly commets it was...fun!

I was watching the ladies long at worlds 2008 on tv with my mum (it was the first time she had watched a competition):watch:..carolina was in first and it was mao's turn...Right when she started my mum said:

"If she skate well she'll be first over carolina?"
"Yes, very likely!" I answered
"Ok...maybe she fall!":watch:

Slam on the 3axel
:wideeyes:

My mum frozen and screamed to the tv:
"No no! I'm sorry I didn't want to say that! sorry sorry sorry! Get up! C'mon get up!":drama::scream::scream::dog:

I was like...:confused::watch:

GoldenMichelle
01-18-2011, 12:06 AM
During Timothy Goebel's exhibition to Arms Wide Open My mom insisted that he did not interpret the music well because he did a spread eagle with one arm out and one behind his back. She was insistent that both arms needed to be out to "match the lyrics."

sadya
01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Comments of non-fans can show how just watching skating once or sometimes can result in a certain image of some skaters or figure skating in general.

Eurosport showed Baiul in 2005 Oberstdorf Gala and my daughter said: "I hope she doesn't cry anymore."

(she also enjoys watching me cry during or after certain movies and skating programs, sometimes both my children watch parts of Euros or Worlds with me, simply to watch me become nervous for skaters I like)

During medal ceremonies of Turin 2006 my daughter wondered why winners received cd's on the podium.

When Weir skated to Lady Gaga music last year she said she understood his choice of music, because "they both have something going for strange outfits".

During anouncement of a gala performance by Lambiel, the anouncer said "... en nu de huidige wereldkampioen", she remarked "ja, ja, ik weet dat hij een huid heeft..." which is difficult to translate and more about a language misunderstanding. (she was about 9 at the time)

Not very funny, but shows how figure skating is still viewed by non-skatingfans and which parts of figure skating attract their attention.

sadya
01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
But the best thing I always laugh at, is when I tell someone I'm going to a skating event and they ask me "are you going there to compete?" lol that's just so absurd taken that they never see me going to any practices and there's actually NO real ice rink in my city :P

People always ask me the same when I just reply I like figure skating after they want to know my hobbies. Nowadays I either don't mention it or I make sure to add the word 'watch'.

Asking me that question is very strange since I often wear Pakistani traditional clothing, ever seen someone like that taking part in a figure skating competition? I don't think so. Perhaps after many decades it will happen. We've had our first Indian competitors some time ago at Worlds. Maybe when they will do better, figure skating will become more populair there and in Pakistan.

smurfy
01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
When I tell folks I follow skating, many have asked - did you skate? Just on ponds and never learned to skate backwards.

But are fans of basketball, football, etc asked if they played?
I follow college basketball (yea UConn) but never asked if I played (I did in high school), but I did go to school at UConn.

walei
01-19-2011, 04:43 AM
When I tell folks I follow skating, many have asked - did you skate? Just on ponds and never learned to skate backwards.

But are fans of basketball, football, etc asked if they played?
I follow college basketball (yea UConn) but never asked if I played (I did in high school), but I did go to school at UConn.

I think people ask that because they have no idea what to talk about regarding the subject.

For example, if someone tells me they follow lacrosse I wouldn't ask "who's your favorite player or favorite team" because I have no clue who any of them are. So I would just go "oh cool do you play?" :slinkaway

Nomad
01-19-2011, 05:11 AM
During anouncement of a gala performance by Lambiel, the anouncer said "... en nu de huidige wereldkampioen", she remarked "ja, ja, ik weet dat hij een huid heeft..." which is difficult to translate and more about a language misunderstanding. (she was about 9 at the time)...

I like word-play stories. :)

sadya
01-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Walei, that explanation makes it understandable. Though I don't think there is anything wrong with asking 'what kind of sport is it?'. :)

Nomad, nice to see another person from Holland. :)

Nomad
01-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Nomad, nice to see another person from Holland. :)

I'm not actually from Holland. I did live in Amsterdam for a while when I was young, though. :)

sadya
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
And still remember Dutch language. Not bad.

Jasmar
01-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately I was in hospital when Worlds 2004 started and had to watch the Men's competition along with some fellow-patients who weren't skating followers at all. I remember one of them described Plushenko as a 'cold fish' whereas all of them really fell in love with Stephane Lambiel.

Sounds about right to me!

ETA: I stuck my foot in my mouth one summer in Sun Valley when I was sitting with the other judges waiting for the next round of tests to start, and Nancy Kerrigan walked up to the rink. I remarking how nice it was for her dad to carry her skate bag for her… then there was an amused pause before one of the others said it was her husband.