PDA

View Full Version : Anorexia in figure skating

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

pani
12-17-2010, 06:03 PM
What do you think about anorexia in FS?
Just watche soap-opera "Gymnast". Why this problem is so commomn in USA? And how do you think, why in USA a lot off TV shows, article against anorexia, but role models in USA FS isnt look healthy? (i mean USA ice dancers).

Moka-Ananas
12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I volunteered at 2007 Junior Worlds and when I went to the restroom I often overheard girls throw up. It wasn't a nice experience I can tell you.

Sylvia
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I think we should be careful to distinguish between medically diagnosed eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia) and disordered eating.

There were extensive discussions here on this topic last season after Jennifer Kirk blogged about her own eating disorder experiences -- check the Archives for those who have access.

Extranjera
12-17-2010, 06:58 PM
I was surprised when I got to know Akiko suzuki struggled with anorexia . Most of asian women are slim, so I didn't suspect her to be sick.

Edit: ---

Sylvia
12-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I also don't happen to believe it's productive for fans to speculate publicly about which skaters "seem or look too thin" and assume it may be due to an eating disorder. However, I applaud the skaters who have come forward to share their experiences publicly, such as Kirk and Suzuki.

pani
12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
This really awful , because even junior girls could have anorexia - they are only a children. :( And nobody dont want change this.
Even more - little girls look at this sick womens and want to be such thin. And this is wrst thing, IMHO

hanca
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I volunteered at 2007 Junior Worlds and when I went to the restroom I often overheard girls throw up. It wasn't a nice experience I can tell you.

You are making assumptions! How do you know that they were throwing up from eating disorder and not from the nerves? Junior Worlds may be their first big competition and they are still kids! Anyone would get nervous.

nerdycool
12-17-2010, 07:14 PM
It's also not just a problem in the US. It may seem as if there are more cases here, but that may be just because we're more open about it as a culture.

Extranjera
12-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I also don't happen to believe it's productive for fans to speculate publicly about which skaters "seem or look too thin" and assume it may be due to an eating disorder. However, I applaud the skaters who have come forward to share their experiences publicly, such as Kirk and Suzuki.

I know, I know – I should leave out the last sentence, my bad :( I ‘ve just wanted to say that probably we would be surprise if we got to know how many skaters could struggle with eating problems in the past. Slim body is very important to be in good shape and I suppose there are more skaters than we know who crossed the line.

I thought that’s a problem of individual skaters, not general problem of figure skating world. Skaters have their coaches and teams which care about them, so shouldn't they notice when something is wrong?

overedge
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Skaters have their coaches and teams which care about them, so shouldn't they notice when something is wrong?

Sadly, it is sometimes the coaches and teams who pressure the skater to stay slim, and who choose not to notice when something is wrong, because the skater is continuing to place well despite the problem.

Susie Wynne is another skater who has spoken openly about her eating disorder, and she has alleged that one of her coaches weighed her every week, and yelled at her when she was heavier than what he thought was her ideal weight.

Dragonlady
12-17-2010, 07:45 PM
This really awful , because even junior girls could have anorexia - they are only a children. :( And nobody dont want change this.
Even more - little girls look at this sick womens and want to be such thin. And this is wrst thing, IMHO

The statistics on anorexia tell us that girls are most vulnerable to disorder during puberty since there are rapid weight gains during this time. Skaters have the added concern of losing jumps as they develop hips and boobs.

Young girls go through a phase of "hiding" their bodies as they start to develop. They wear baggy clothes and hide until they get more comfortable with the changes. For some, they try to stop the changes by stopping the weight gain that is part of it, or they may misunderstand why they are gaining weight and think they're getting "fat".

All athletes are at risk for disordered eating, to such an extent that the combined low body fat/loss of bone density/eating disorder is often referred to as the "female athlete triad".

Carolla5501
12-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Isn't this a trash can topic... Since it's just desgined to get people stirred up :)

pinky166
12-17-2010, 07:54 PM

JUNIOR worlds? That's just wrong on so many levels. Most of those girls haven't even hit puberty.

SmallFairy
12-17-2010, 08:25 PM
this is a terrible problem, not only in figure skating, but in many, many sports. in Norway, we have in recent years finally started taking the subject seriously and at least some people in the sports federations are working hard to give young girls a healthy way of looking at their own body, eating correct without dieting in combination with the right training for the sport they are executing.

Of course, the "having a slim body" is maybe even more important in sports like fs and gymnastics, but in Norway we've had several atlethes who came out open with their problems, f.i. in cross country skiing, which isn't the first sport that comes to mind thinking of anorexia. so, it's everywhere in the world of sports.

didn't Yulia Lavrenchuk struggle from some kind of eating disorder? she ended up in hospital, and almost died, because her coach told her constantly to loose weight?

MikiAndoFan#1
12-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Oh my God. This is horrible. :(