PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Flu Question

Pages : [1] 2

kylet3
12-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Hello FSUers,

Everyone I know unfortunately seems to have the stomach flu, it's going around really bad right now. I myself was a victim of it on Tuesday and part of Wednesday, with it now being Friday, I still have a splitting headache and a slightly woozy stomach at times. My question is, is this normal? Can it take this long and longer before I am back to 100% That being said I don't have the greatest immune system but its not the worst either. I'm just wondering if this is normal...

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sk8ngCat
12-17-2010, 05:27 PM
It can be quite normal for the woozy stomach to last awhile. I'd be more concerned about the splitting headache. Are you taking acetominophen? If the headache doesn't go away very soon, or you develop a fever as well, time to seek medical advice. Lots of clear fluids - it's more important to rehydrate than to eat at this point. If you are hungry, white rice, white bread, applesauce are good. No dairy. Be careful with carbonated beverages.

Aceon6
12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
We've had what the local health department calls Influenza Like Illness (ILI) spreading like wildfire in Eastern Mass. Most of the folks I work with who had the stomach symptoms started feeling like eating in about 3 days and fully normal in 7 to 10. Unfortunately, I got the one with sinus complications, and I'm still groggy on Day 12.

Ditto on the fluids. Even a low grade fever can dry you out this time of year with the humidity so low. My NP said at least twice what I would normally take in, more if I could tolerate it.

Good luck. Being sick around the holidays sux. We've got a half decorated tree, and extremely messy house, and no presents wrapped yet. I hope I'll have a bit more energy this weekend and at least finish the tree and start the wrapping.

kylet3
12-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Well I can't obviously go back on my normal diet :mad: I ate raisin bran this morning and it is putting my stomach in huge knots right now so I think it will just be sticking with clear liquids and soup, maybe some white toast or something, this bloody sucks, I just want to go home.

skatemommy
12-17-2010, 08:08 PM
See if your doctor will give you a prescription for Tamiflu.

DubbalinGirl
12-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Usually my doc advises the BRAT diet until you actually "feel" like eating again: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. And I agree that the headache is most likely dehydration. I'd get on top of that first if you can. One other thing you might look into in Ensure, which is a nutrition replenishment drink that will replace a lot of nutrients quickly and may have you feeling better sooner once you get renourished. It's not dairy and worked well for me when I was recovering from E. Coli. CVS, Walgreen's and supermarkets carry it.

It's too late for Tamiflu, if the patient is on day 4 or 5, and this doesn't even sound like the flu, more like the ILI that Ace mentions, so it won't do any good.

kylet3
12-17-2010, 08:39 PM
It's not the actual flu its gastroenteritis. The worst of it was Tuesday with the usual very very bad stuff, yesterday and today I've just been feeling really woozy, so I guess I don't want to start eating normally just yet, I've been drinking gatorade like crazy and that seems to help, I just feel generally more lethargic and weaker than normal, I'm supposed to go to a Carrie Underwood concert but I'm thinking I may just go home and sleep over the weekend to try and really feel better.

Holley Calmes
12-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I think everybody is different, but when I get the stomach flu (the absolute worst thing to have, IMO) I invariably get really sick for 12 hours. Then I feel wretched for another day. Then I feel better, and then on the third day-bam! It comes back in a milder form. It's usually a week before I get totally ok. I haven't had this for several years now, but every time I do get it, it's always per the above.

It's also very possible that a severe headache is just a part of whatever virus this is.

I hope you get a LOT better really soon. I can stand anything but nausea, and I hope you're over that! Flat Coca-Cola has always made me much better if I'm nauseated.

numbers123
12-18-2010, 01:45 AM
See if your doctor will give you a prescription for Tamiflu.

I believe Tamiflu is recommended for respiratory influenza. And it should be dispensed and taken within the first 24-48 hours of presentation of symptoms.

Anita18
12-18-2010, 02:52 AM
If I'm anything to go by, yes it can be normal.

I had a relatively minor bout of stomach flu around Thanksgiving last year, and for whatever reason, my stomach wasn't the same for MONTHS. It seemed like 2 steps forward, 1 step back all the time. For a period of several weeks I could not eat anything all day except for an apple. I would get severely nauseous if I had anything more. It's a good way to lose that last 10 lbs if you're looking to do that. I'm already underweight so it was not good. :o For weeks I also couldn't stand up for long because of the nausea. I went through a lot of books in bed, lemme tell you. :lol:

I even had a colonoscopy to check things out 5 months later, because I was still cramping/being nauseous at times and still needed to watch what I ate. Things were relatively normal aside from a little inflammation in my ileum (where the small and large intestine meet) and the treatment was to hang on and let my body figure itself out. :o

I was looking up stuff like post-infection IBS and it seemed to be what I had. There really isn't a treatment for it aside from changing your diet. I got a book called Eating for IBS (http://www.amazon.com/Eating-IBS-Delicious-Nutritious-Low-Residue/dp/1569246009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292640392&sr=8-1) that gave me a lot of cool tips. Turns out that bread is always a good thing to have around the house. Avoid grease and fat, and for me personally, fibrous vegetables like kale were a definite no-go. I also avoided any fast food or any overly processed stuff.

My appetite finally got back to the way it was pre-stomach flu about a month ago. I even sent my family an email when I was able to down a Subway footlong meatball marinara with ease. I was so proud of myself. :lol: So it's been a year-long ordeal for me. :o And just yesterday my system acted up AGAIN due to the sudden temperature drop in the weather.

Just take it easy and don't force your body to do something. If it's just nausea, there's probably nothing the doctors can do for you anyway aside from giving you drugs to treat the symptom.

Bailey_
12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I had the flu a month ago - while on holiday at Disney World. Let's just say, it was not the happiest place on earth for a few days while my family passed the stomach flu around... but it took a good week before my stomach started to feel normal and I wanted to eat again. Hang in there...

canbelto
12-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I had the worst stomach flu two weeks ago. It lasted a week, and it was basically barfing and pooping. One hour I went to the bathroom 20 times!:eek:

It was miserable. I could only handle flat ginger ale and gatorade for a week. Hang in there.

Aceon6
12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Update. Today is Day 14. I slept through the night for the first time last night (got about 9 hours). I'm still hacking up hairballs, but can speak almost normally for the first time in over a week. I no longer feel like I am about to die from lack of oxygen. Life is good!

Now, to finish the shopping (2 presents to go), tree, wrapping, and baking. With any luck, I can do so without a relapse.

kylet3
12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
My stomach is still a bit woozy but the last two days has been a migraine, it's been awful :( I woke up this morning and it seems to have reduced but I'm not 100% it will continue to go down, The timing of it just sucks, I missed Carrie Underwood last night (but I've seen and met her before so its ok) it's just the headache and the stomach, I believe i can eat normally, but I'm just trying to take it easy and not do too much in the hopes I will be ok soon.

Aceon6
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
My stomach is still a bit woozy but the last two days has been a migraine, it's been awful :( I woke up this morning and it seems to have reduced but I'm not 100% it will continue to go down, The timing of it just sucks, I missed Carrie Underwood last night (but I've seen and met her before so its ok) it's just the headache and the stomach, I believe i can eat normally, but I'm just trying to take it easy and not do too much in the hopes I will be ok soon.

Keep taking your temp. The headache could be associated with fever or with a sinus infection. Anything over 100 for more than 48 hours is worth a call to your doctor. Get well soon!