PDA

View Full Version : Abbott: I am the frontrunner

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Sugar
12-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Abbott: I am the frontrunner
http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=505856.html
This year I absolutely want to defend my title and I'm focusing on that a little more than I was last season. That will probably make it different, but I feel confident going into Nationals this year because I really do feel like I am the leading man in the U.S.

Wyliefan
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Very nice comments about Alissa.

overedge
12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Uh oh, I hope the SkateGods don't smack him down for that one...

Frau Muller
12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
If it makes him feel better. Whatever.

Beefcake
12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Uh oh, I hope the SkateGods don't smack him down for that one...
I think it's still okay with the SG's since Sugar didn't declare Jeremy a shoo-in. :P

Whew, close call, though!

nerdycool
12-16-2010, 06:53 PM
It sounds boastful, but he actually sounds really practical about it. Yeah, he will get some competition from Rippon and Mroz, but it won't be at the same level as if Lysacek or Weir were there.

IMHO, the only way he wouldn't be the front-runner as the 2-time defending national champion, is if Lysacek were there.

LuckyCharm
12-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I've actually been wondering all season how he will handle being "The Man" at this year's Nationals. Last season, despite being the defending champ, he was practically an afterthought with Evan and Johnny receiving so much of the spotlight. This year, he's it and if he doesn't win I think most will consider it a pretty significant upset. It's good that he seems to be looking at it as a positive thing, but he's not the greatest under pressure. I hope he can keep it together.

Garden Kitty
12-16-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think it's a braggy statement. Based on the fact he's a two time champion and has the most experience coming in, I think he is the frontrunner. But as he points out, the competition gets better each year and he certainly doesn't act like it's a conclusion that he's going to win. The last few years, Evan and Johnny did get the most attention and neither will be competing this year. That's liikely to mean some extra media attention for Abbott, but I certainly don't think he's overlooking the other contenders.

Willowway
12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Any champion will tell you that confidence is part of what it takes to keep winning. I like that fact that he's evidencing some real confidence and if it sounds, to some, just a little bit cocky well, that's not necessarily a bad thing for him. Yuka is doing her job.

PS Met him at a Disson event in November and what a lovely young man. Very gracious and humorous.

jenny12
12-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, I hope Abbott skates like it. I love his long program this year and would like to see it performed at the highest level.

LilJen
12-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Abbott for Three-Time Tweet of the Week Champion!!!

UMBS Go Blue
12-16-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope Jeremy brings it. More power to him.

Carolla5501
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Only in figure skating do the fans all think "the skaters should say 'I am not worthy' and 'I don't deserve to win'" I am sure that's how Eli and/or Peyton Manning prepare for thier games. I am sure it's how LeBron and his posse prepare....

UH NO! Athletes show up to WIN and the good ones know it. Nothing wrong with that!

I think a lot of our skaters believe the "i am not worthy" line that's FSU says they should toe.. and it shows. If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling. (Ms Kwan milked that one for years IMHO. I love her skating, but she tended to 'intimidate' the new kids in her group just by being there resulting in some "sub par" skates. Some skaters were able to rise above it, but those were the same ones that got "trashed" for "confidence.. see Tara)

stjeaskategym
12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Last season I was coming in as the previous champion, but my focus was to make the [Olympic] Team. I didn't care where I came as long as I was on the Olympic Team. Skating the way I did and winning the title was just a huge cherry on top of a whole amazing experience.

This year I absolutely want to defend my title and I'm focusing on that a little more than I was last season.

Maybe he shouldn't focus more on winning this year considering how well he skated at Nationals last year when he wasn't thinking about winning. I just hope he doesn't make himself too nervous as the frontrunner.

DickButtonFan
12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I just hope he changes that sp shirt, if he does he should be good to go :D. That shirt just makes his shoulders look so stiff. He's obviously the front runner since he won last year, so yeah he can say that.