PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Stefanie
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I've never tried Vera Wang's Princess, but I am a faithful "regular" Vera Wang perfume consumer. :) I also love Chloe perfume!

Norlite
01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Has anyone ever had their eyelashes tinted? I'm thinking of getting my bottoms done. Age has paled them tremendously, and I thought tinting might be a nicer option than mascara for everyday.

Veronika
01-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I've heard that tinting can be dangerous--is mascara not enough? You could use a thin formula like Great Lash on them. And that is the only time I'll ever recommend that mascara!!! It's more a tint than anything else.

I don't wear any mascara on my lower lashes--they are long and somewhat curly, and the mascara just makes them look spidery. The tips of my lashes are blonde too, which is fun. ;)

Norlite
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I usually use Lash Discovery. The one with the teeny tiny brush.

A women I use to work with use to do hers regularly. I thought it was close to useless on the top, but preferable to mascara on the bottom. No clumping, no spidery look. No flaking, which even WP does on mine sometimes. I completely forgot about it until I say pixiwoo (Nic) do it herself in a video the other day. thought it might be a nice option for my bottoms.

I think I'll try to get an appointment with my esthetician for tomorrow.

Veronika
01-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Okay--good luck!

Andora
01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I was going to suggest Tarte's lash stain, but the reviews on Sephora sound pretty awful. Let us know how it goes!

Lash extentions sound interesting to me. I'm hoping the acquaintance who mentioned it gets it so I can use her as a sorta guinnea pig. :P

Speaking of mascara suggestions, I tracked down Prestige's My Blackest Lashes for a go, and it's pretty fantastic! I think that was a Norlite suggestion, so thanks again!

Cyn
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
I bought Luca Turin's Perfumes, the A to Z guide. I have to say that I am largely in agreement with his reviews of the perfumes I do know (he reviewed a multitude of scents I've never heard of/seen at perfume counters in the US).

If you are at all interested in perfume, snark and a wordly view of things, it's a good reference book to have.

If you get a chance, could you check your book and see what it says about Chanel No.19 ?

ITA with the Veronika in that Chanel No.5 smells like "old lady" parfum :scream: . It's as bad as Youth Dew :yikes: .

zhenya271
01-26-2011, 09:10 PM
All I know is that I can barely stand Chanel No. 5, and I have two bottles of it. :( It smells too old lady for me.

I have some too, it's that powdery smell that gets to me and reminds me of an old lady.

I love Chance and Coco Mademoiselle...maybe one day I will grow into my No 5.:P

I just got Chanel nail polish in Particuliere. I read the reviews at various sites and everyone raved so I couldn't wait until it arrived. It's beautiful in the bottle, a mushroomy,taupe color, but after my first coat, I thought it looked like I had been making pretend pies at the beach.:confused: I'm going to give it another go when my hands aren't so dry and don't have any red tones going on. Also got some Allegoria, it looks pretty much like OPI Bubble Bath.:)

IceAlisa
01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
If you get a chance, could you check your book and see what it says about Chanel No.19 ? I seem to recall that he likes 19, calling it a poisonous green but I will give you a direct quote when I get home. No. 19 is the only vintage Chanel I'd wear, although I am sure Turin prefers the classic formulation while I like the modern one, infinitely more wearable.

ITA with the Veronika in that Chanel No.5 smells like "old lady" parfum :scream: . It's as bad as Youth Dew :yikes: .
No. 5 makes me want to run screaming.

WRT Chanel nail polishes, I have an unusual neutral pink that I like called Ballerina. It looks a little different from most neutral pinks on the market.

IceAlisa
01-26-2011, 11:59 PM
OK, from the book the voidy review of No. 19:

4/5 stars, recommended, green floral

In the history of feminine perfumes, there seem to be two recurring motifs of femininity: let's call them the cloth mother and the wire mother, after Harry Harlow's famous experiment. The cloth mother is the soft, cuddly, big-bosomed, heavy-hipped ideal of the feminine, best represented by the warmly creamy, nutty classic florals like Fleurs de Rocaille, Detchema, and Arpege. Lovely and soothing in a slightly boneless way, these are easy fragrances to like.

But the wire mother is angular, unkind, tough and cold--scary and handsomely hollow-cheeked. Of the wire mothers of perfume (see Miss Dior, Ma Griffe, and Envy for examples), No. 19, first released in 1971, may be the cruelest. *snippage*

For a fragrance with so many springtime references, all white blossoms and leafy greenery, No. 19 never lands you in any Sound of Music meadows. It keeps you in the boardroom, in three-inch stilettos and a pencil-skirt suit. Haughty and immune to sweetness, with a somewhat antiseptic air, this extraordinary perfume appeals to any woman who has ever wished to know what it is to be heartless.

Sounds like the scent for Amy Chua. ;) My favorite Chanel.

Cyn
01-27-2011, 12:31 AM
PPPPPMMMMLLLLL :rofl:

……and here I was, thinking that it was a clean botanical scent (best I remember that is, it's been years since I smelled it :wall: )

When I think of a boardroom-haunting, stiletto-wearing, ball-busting she-suit, the fragrance that comes to mind is something like Dior's Poison (a truly :yikes: parfum) or Hubert D'Ornato's Eau de Soir (if "bitch" had a distinctive smell, this would be it :scream: ) :rofl: .

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 12:37 AM
On Poison:

5/5 masterpiece, huge tuberose

Reviewing Poison is a bit like road-testing an Abrams M1 tank in the evening rush hour. People just seem to get out of your way, and if they don't, you just swivel that turret to remind them you're not kidding.

This is the fragrance everybody loves to hate, the beast that defined the 80s, the perfume that cost me a couple of friendships and one good working relationship. It is also unquestionably the best dressed-up, syrupy tuberose in history, and in my opinion it buries Amarige and the first Oscar de la Renta in the "make it a night he'll never forget" category. Every perfume collector has to have this, but please never, ever wear it to dinner.

And there you have it. I admit I rather liked Poison as a tween in the 80s. :shuffle:

Cyn
01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
:lol: I wasn't too far off in my assessment. I can't smell that stuff without thinking of oversized shoulder pads.

Back in the late '80s I wore Paloma Picasso. To call it a heavy scent is like saying Patrick Chan skated well at Canadians -- a understatement of elephantine proportion. Looking back, I can't believe I wore something that strong and spicy - it's far, far removed from the types of scents I wear now.

As a teen, my sister used to wear marinate in Amarige de Givenchy. You could smell her coming from several yards away - and that is not an exaggeration (I wish it was). Later on, she came to her senses, toned down the amount, and switched to a then-new fragrance that I'd never smelled. When I asked her what she was wearing, she said, "Issay Miyake." I had no idea what she said and tried to repeat it, but what I came up with was "You see me yacking?" My sister about peed herself at that :rofl: .

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
I just got Chanel nail polish in Particuliere. I read the reviews at various sites and everyone raved so I couldn't wait until it arrived. It's beautiful in the bottle, a mushroomy,taupe color, but after my first coat, I thought it looked like I had been making pretend pies at the beach.:confused: I'm going to give it another go when my hands aren't so dry and don't have any red tones going on. Also got some Allegoria, it looks pretty much like OPI Bubble Bath.:)

OMG, Particuliere looks totally like OPI for Sephora Metro Chic which I own. Save yourself the trouble.

Allegoria, OTOH looks exactly like the transparent beige I've been wanting, so I may have to get it. It seems to me that the OPI Bubble Bath is pinker and I have plenty of transparent pinks.

Cyn, he likes Paloma Picasso, 4/5 "an overall impression of one smart gal--comfortable, breezy, sharp and fizzy in the jasmine section, and terrifically mossy-patchouli in the drydown, put together perfectly without making much fuss".

zhenya271
01-27-2011, 01:35 AM
OMG, Particuliere looks totally like OPI for Sephora Metro Chic which I own. Save yourself the trouble.

Allegoria, OTOH looks exactly like the transparent beige I've been wanting, so I may have to get it. It seems to me that the OPI Bubble Bath is pinker and I have plenty of transparent pinks.

Cyn, he likes Paloma Picasso, 4/5 "an overall impression of one smart gal--comfortable, breezy, sharp and fizzy in the jasmine section, and terrifically mossy-patchouli in the drydown, put together perfectly without making much fuss".

Ugh, too bad about Particuliere! One thing I did like was how nice the coverage was, the formula was just right.

Allegoria is a nice beige. Seems to hold up a little better than Bubble Bath but then I changed my topcoat from Seche Vite to Poshe so that may be a factor too.

Does Ballerina have a little bit of sparkle?