PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Scintillation
07-26-2011, 02:29 AM
I think I have what is opposite of a foot fetish and it makes me incredibly narrow minded about how others feel about feet, if that makes sense. I hate feet and think they're gross, therefore everyone else must think that way too. I'm prejudiced against feet, especially my own. :lol:
And I have to say the Origins Full story mascara...ok. Lengthens my lashes nicely but it also flakes off pretty easily. I do like their multi-grain face powder though. I want to try the MAC mascara next but there are those damn unspoken retail courtesy rules that I can't just buy one product, lest I want to feel their wrath. Blergh.

Cheylana
07-26-2011, 05:02 AM
And I would definitely NOT recommend a callus shaver (http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Safety-Slide-Callus-Shaver/dp/B000G62I12/ref=pd_sim_dbs_bt_6). That's a job for a podiatrist.
:slinkaway

Southpaw
07-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I lurves me a good callous shaver.

beepbeep
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
It seems like I have brand new feet after I go to the podiatrist, I swear my feet get smaller :lol:
My podiatrist has to shave my calluses with a surgical blade :slinkaway

Veronika
07-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I shave down my callouses, but I use the thing that looks like a grater. :lol: It's sickly satisfying.

skatemommy
07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
My favorite blow dry spray (Kenra) is not available online at Ulta. I didn't have any newspaper coupons and went to their website and you can print the $3.50 off $10 coupon online and bring it to the store. But you glamour :glamor: probably already knew that!

beepbeep
07-31-2011, 03:10 AM
this past week...
I thought this (http://i51.tinypic.com/ofdmp2.jpg) would be non work friendly (champagne chrome) but I actually might take it to work in the future.
But the winner so far is the blue gliiitaah (http://i56.tinypic.com/33lie6r.jpg)

DynamicMutation
07-31-2011, 03:21 AM
Help glamour puss peeps!

I sneak in here once in a while to see what is happening, but since I consider myself to be a severe novice in the make up and beauty department (31 and basically have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this type of beautification!!) I don't comment but lurk and enjoy.

I have a question that I need help with. (Attention: long winded post ahead!!)

I'd like to purchase a sheer foundation that I can use once in a while when I am in a professional setting, have to go to a wedding, etc. My skin is not bad, some freckles but not disasterous EXCEPT that in the last few years I have starting getting cystic acne. Just one or two spots at a time, but painful, long lasting, and of course they leave dark spots behind. I have been on a few rounds of antibiotics and it helps somewhat; I also have an antibiotic/benzoyl peroxide and a weaker Retin-A cream to help out topically. Thus, my reasonable skin now looks a bit messy, has random flaky spots, and of course is randomly oily at the same time (t zone only).

After much building up of courage one day at the mall I went to Murale (for non canadians: a makeup store kind of like sephora) and asked for advice. The lady set me up with the visiting estee lauder rep and she did up my face in a very subtle way, good feature enhancing effects and great concealer. She chose the Nutritious foundation for me because i don't want to look make-upy (this has been my fear of foundations in the past. I always look cakey especially because of the dry areas where spots had been), and it also has a little spf which is important to me.

I used it for a few days but it turns out that the 'dewy' look ends up like the greasy look!!!! So, I returned it today and asked for help from one of the 'beauty masters' and she said that i probably need something more matte and to try Nars sheer matte.

I tried it at the store just along the jawline/part cheek, it looked nice, shuddered at the price tag, and brought it home. Tried it out here on my entire face and it had that whole scary foundation look again. I hardly used any product. It also really enhanced the dry acne spots which I am trying to avoid!

So my question is....what should I be asking for at the make up counter so that they give me what I need. I don't feel like I know the lingo, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but if I spent it on anything it would be on foundation because I want it to be as perfect and appropriate as it can be. Can anyone recommend something I should try? Or ask? Or do? Offers of face transplants welcome ;)

Thank you for reading. I really really appreciate it.
DM
(Makeup and beauty failure of the skating world!)

my little pony
07-31-2011, 03:38 AM
assuming your skin is oily or combination and you want an SPF in there, try 1 of :
1. almay smart shade smart balance skin balancing makeup
2. boots stay perfect foundation
3. clinique even better makeup
4. loreal true match super blendable
5. revlon beyond natural skin matching
5. neutrogena healthy skin glow sheers

i have very oily skin, in my experience there are more and better options for me in the drug store than in the department store. although i am currently using a custom blend foundation from a salon that works better than anything. but if i couldnt get it, i would go back to one of the ones above

beepbeep
07-31-2011, 03:41 AM
I can't say much about brands and stuff since I'm not in North America.
And I don't use much of foundation, but I'm pretty sure the gals here will have suggestions for you :)

Using a face powder should help with oily feel/look. You can also play with primers and different forms of applying the foundation. With applying, it's really try and error until you find something that's better for you. I prefer using a sponge.

I too have some major oliy face with occasional zits issues and the thing that helped me was moisturizing my face properly. My face is oily because it's dry (the oil is supposed to be produced to fight the dryness).
Now most of the times, it's just concealer and face powder to even my skin.

IceAlisa
07-31-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi DM. The way the product is applied can make a huge difference. If you are looking for a sheer look, apply product with a moist (with water) cosmetic wedge or sponge. The water insures light application.

Another option is a tinted moisturizer. It provides light coverage, SPF and some moisturizing action, although I still use my regular moisturizer underneath. I like Korres Watermelon, it comes in 3 shades. Good luck!

DynamicMutation
07-31-2011, 03:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Keep them coming, I truly appreciate!!!!!

I went to the dept store because I wanted advice on colour matching, because really i had no idea. No idea about application methods either. I have found out it can be hand/sponge/brush, and not necessarily sweeping brush or sponge but dabbing as well. Eye opening experience :eek:

I really am trying to do as few steps as possible but it looks like I don't have much choice if I have complicated skin. It is on the oilier side but inconsistently oily. I live in an extremely dry environment so moisturizing has always been a must but I have never gotten as oily as I have this past week when I wore the foundation. :(

I might go and try some cheaper alternatives. Do drugstores accept returns on make up?

my little pony
07-31-2011, 04:35 AM
rite aid has a liberal return policy

myhoneyhoney
07-31-2011, 05:46 AM
Is there a MAC store near you? Most beauty places (other than drugstores) are willing to give you some take home samples if you ask. Good luck!

Lanie
07-31-2011, 06:37 AM
DM, I use Bare Minerals foundation. I have oily skin that gets dry in places. I don't know if it would be good for you, but I love the stuff.

I got a haircut! (http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/216762_10150721820745456_665400455_19952004_276899 6_n.jpg) I'm so excited! I haven't had bangs since I was 12. :rofl: Now if I can only figure out how she blow-dried it so nicely, that would be fabulous.