PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

my little pony
07-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Ok kitty kat dolls...who is brave enough to say what they are spending per year on all this glamour? I'd say my budget is between $600-800 per year. I consider myself frugal except for hair/nails/makeup/massage/tanning.

it's my patriotic duty to put money back into the local economy. the exact dollar amount is not important. :slinkaway

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 01:36 AM
it's my patriotic duty to put money back into the local economy. the exact dollar amount is not important. :slinkaway

There you go. That's my excuse too. :P

Scintillation
07-22-2011, 01:41 AM

Damn right. And I got a pink/purple color plus silver and I'm going to try it tonight--of course I'm excited.
Did I mention I went and dropped some $$ at Origins today too? I'm gonna wait til my paycheck drops in my account before I even look at how much I spent. AGH.

myhoneyhoney
07-22-2011, 01:45 AM
love your guys' way of thinking, lol. I remind hubby that I do my own manis and pedis so that is saving him mega $$. That is why he shouldn't complain about me dropping $ for nail polish. It helps that I always buy stuff when it's on sale, except for my MAC foundation of course. Then again, MAC's Face and Body foundation is a HUGE bottle so it should last me a loooooong time.

Veronika
07-22-2011, 02:55 AM
My justification for how much $$$ I spend on makeup is that I wear it every day (which I do.) So it's not like some silly collection that sits on a shelf and collects dust, it's a part of my life and I enjoy it. :)

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 03:17 AM
I wear mine every day unless I stay inside all day which is quite rare. And I do my own nails to (a) save :bribe: and (b) I have better colors than most nail salons. ;)

Lanie
07-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Mr Lanie is puzzled when he sees how much nail polish I have (which isn't much compared to you ladies!). He likes to pick out his favorites he wants me to wear. He also likes it when I wear makeup when we're going out, so hey, he gets some enjoyment out of it too! :rofl:

Scintillation
07-22-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm supposed to be a walking advertisement for products so you know...I wanna make sure I look :smokin:.
Most of the time though, my skin doesn't want to comply. So I try different brands to see what works. I tried Arbonne acne wash and moisturizer and when I put my concealer on my skin, it flaked off. Weird. Now I'm going back to Origins, which gave me good results, plus I love the smell. I also decided to give their mascara a try, so we'll see how that goes.

Anita18
07-22-2011, 03:34 AM
So apparently I have fungus growing on my scalp (seborrheic dermatitis) which is why my hair is gross. It was disappointing to learn that it's a chronic condition - my hair was always awesome and now I won't have glamorous hair anymore. :drama: That'll teach me to be vain about anything, even though my hair vanity was pretty minor since I never did anything with it. :P

I got a prescription medicated shampoo so we'll see how this goes, but also taking a detour at CVS later to get hydrogen peroxide to put in my apple cider vinegar rinse. Anyone have other tips?

kimkom
07-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Anita, do you mean there is nothing they can give you to get rid of the fungus except the medicated shampoo? How frustrating. :(

Anita18
07-22-2011, 03:41 AM
Anita, do you mean there is nothing they can give you to get rid of the fungus except the medicated shampoo? How frustrating. :(
Well that's the default treatment. :P It's relatively minor (or at least Google images made me feel better about my case :rofl: ) so they obviously wouldn't want to go right for the oral antifungals. I mentioned that I tried TSal and that seemed to work. Baking soda and apple cider vinegar stopped working. Coconut oil still working somewhat, but it's still gross underneath. Part of me wants to cut my hair super-short so my hair will dry more readily, since it seems to be worse at the back of my head where my hair dries slowest. No idea if that will help...

beepbeep
07-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I started buying my own polish because, whenever I'd get my nails done, they would chip within 12h. So, I always btought my own polish to the salon, so that when it chipped, I could fix it with the same color.
Then I was short of time (and money...) to go to the salon, and I started to do my own nails, so a whole bunch of more products and polishes followed.

Then I found this thread. It got off the rails pretty quicky after that :P

Anita, I had a fungus on my scalp too, some eyears ago, and doc prescribed those blue shampoos (can't remember the name of it for my life...) and I thought it would wreck my hair, but it didn't (and I didn't use any special conditioner). And the scalp was back to fully normal within the month.
I hope this treatment that you're having takes care of it.

Scintillation
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
I read somewhere that putting milk of magnesia on your scalp and then rinsing off before you get out of the shower helps.
I have people come in sometimes with similar issues wanting a "natural" remedy to their problems and I have to resist yelling "GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!" at them. Then they make stupid purchases despite me warning them that it won't do a damn thing. So, you should definitely pat yourself on the back for being intelligent and consulting a medical professional. I hope the medicated shampoo works.

Sk8Kate
07-22-2011, 06:29 PM
There was a mention of Latisse earlier in the thread, and I just wanted to chime in as a proponent of it. I have light eyes and I've been complimented on the color (they're a sort of unusual golden-green) and I was nervous that Latisse would change my eye color. I've been using it for about 2.5 months now, and NO change in eye color! My lashes are MUCH longer! I naturally have very sparse and light lashes, so I'm thrilled with the results. The difference is especially noticeable with makeup on. My roommate (who didn't know I'd been using Latisse) said out of the blue the other day "Wow, I never noticed how long your lashes are!"

Another useful tip - as the medication IS expensive and I can't dispute that. However, the brushes that come with Latisse are quite big and absorb a lot of the serum so not much makes it on to your lash line. I've been using a Sephora eyeliner brush instead, the smallest I could find, and I'm still on my first tiny bottle of Latisse with plenty of it left.

IceAlisa
07-22-2011, 06:47 PM
WRT to change of eye color with the use of Latisse. The iris color change was noted in hazel eyed people AND it was not observed with Latisse but with the actual glaucoma medication that is administered as eye drops and and is a lot more concentrated. You may remember that the glaucoma medication produced by Allergan was discovered to make the eye lashes longer and darker. From that Allergan formulated Latisse and is making a killing, no doubt.

Latisse, OTOH, is a much lighter concentration and is administered on the eyelid. There was no eye color change observed in the clinical trials of Latisse.

Why do I know this stuff?