PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Evilynn
07-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Has anyone tried Mac's paint pots? I nabbed painterly as I wanted something I could toss on when I'm in a hurry and want a more polished look than just mascara. Sounds promising.

I use Painterly as a base for my mineral shadows, and it works very well. :) It's almost invisible on me on its own though.

Caved in and bought one of TBS's lip & cheek stains, and I can't see any difference on my cheeks and I'm not sure the shade works on my lips. Oh well. :lol:

Scintillation
07-10-2011, 02:29 AM
So my area of "expertise" is hair care, specifically curly hair care. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried the Deva curly hair line or the Ouidad line and if so what do you think? I've heard good and not so good things about both.

beepbeep
07-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Nail polish for the week http://i53.tinypic.com/fxgmxx.jpg
Please don't mind my bad cuticles and klutzy cleaning job.

IceAlisa
07-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Love this!!!! :) You have pretty hands.

Cyn
07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
So I saw my :sekret: from Lancome last weekend, and in addition to the stuff in the gift-with-purchase stuff, she loaded me up with some "luxury" samples of some of the newer skin care products.

While I still use Génifique (original serum formula, not the cream; and Génifique Repair) religiously along with the Collaser 5X serums, I'm now 6 days into trying the new line of skincare products (instead of the High Resolution 3X moisturizers, which I have used for going on two years, and love the results). New moisturizers and products I'm guinea-pigging right now include:

Rénergie Eye Multiple Action moisturizer, which is a two step product: The first is an eye cream that goes under the eyes, on the lids, and above and around the brow and eye socket (used both AM and PM). The second (used for daytime only) is a specially formulated eye concealer that works in tangent with the actual eye cream. The stuff works on the eye area's skin/tissue (including wrinkle reduction, hydration/plumping of the skin, and providing a noticeable "lift" in the skin which starts to droop and sag as collagen production decreases and elastin starts to break down. The price for the full-size of this bad boy is $75 USD, but having seen the results on someone after using it for three months, the improvement is :eek: :respec: . As for my own face/eyes, I'm already seeing results after just under a week. I cannot wait to see how things have changed after using this for a month.

Rénergie Lift Volumetry Daytime moisturizer (the main differences between AM and PM on this being the addition of sunscreen in the AM and a more concentrated hydration effect in the PM formulas). Again, like the eye cream, it targets hydration, wrinkle reduction, and a more effective "lifting" effect for sagging facial skin. The 1.7 (small size) of this is a paltry :P $88.00, but since Lancome is promoting the hell out of this product, it will likely be available as an option in every GWP for the next year.

Bright Expert (dark spot corrector and radiance activator) - they've had this product for years, which a lot of people absolutely adored, and the new formulation of it does the same thing, only much better. Its primary purpose is to even out skin color (be it from age spots, sun damage, mild scarring, and other causes for uneven-toned or splotchy skin, as well giving the skin a brighter overall look. A 1-oz. tube of this is $65.00, but with the new formulation, a little goes a veeeery long way. It's a :sekret: the counter BAs won't offer up, but the department stores all received .5 oz. luxury samples of it - if you ask for it, they should provide you with one of these samples. Absolutely worth trying out.

Mascara update: According to my :sekret:, DO NOT BUY the Waterproof Hypnôse Drama Mascara as (in her words), "it's the shittiest mascara Lancome's made in years." The non-waterproof formula Hynôse Drama is one that MiniCyn and I both like, but my one complaint about it is that I usually find that I have to apply an additional coat halfway through the day if I want the length/volume to stay consistent. It's not smeary or runny, but my needing to re-apply may be due at least in part to the pollen allergies making my eyes itch, and rather than rubbing them, I'll pull on my lids, which causes the mascara to come off (it seems to come off more easily than most of their other mascaras like Definicils, original Hypnose, Virtuose Black Carat, and L'Extreme (my other favorite besides the HD and VBC).

I asked about the Definicils "Precious Cells" mascara (introduced in the last year or so), and the feedback, she said, has been mixed. It's supposed to help jump-start lash growth and strength (I guess similarly to that Latisse stuff Claire Danes has been hawking for the past few years). I'm too chicken to try it since the Latisse stuff has such calming disclaimers as "may permanently change iris color, especially for those with light-colored eyes :yikes: ). I don't know of the DPC has the same ingredient or if it's a bunch of newly patented stuff, but I'm not taking any chances as of yet.

:sekret: loves the new Oscillation Intensity Mascara (the one with the vibrating wand). I wore the Original Recipe of Oscillation and while it did an awesome job of coating the lashes, it had a bad tendency to flake. The new version has a differently-shaped brush that is supposed to be a vast improvement over the original's barely-there bristles. No idea if the formula is different, but hopefully they addressed the flaking issues and gave it a more flexible texture.

I still use the original version of the Cils Booster (mascara primer), as well as the Oscillating Cils Booster (which is supposed to help hydrate lashes better than the original one), but usually only if I'm going out at night, because the difference in length and volume of my lashes after using this stuff is !!!!!!!!!.

While they are going to be discontinuing their "regular" Virtuose line of mascara, Lancome (very wisely) kept the Virtuose Black Carat Mascara, which has a different formula that actually curls lashes (and if you're a hopeless clod with a lash crimper like I am :o ), this mascara is one of the best to help with that problem. It has never has smeared or run on me, and tends to have good staying power without looking clumpy after several hours.

For those interested in Génifique but cannot afford it, the L'Oreal version of it is available at drug stores at a much lower price (the trade-off being that the formula of it is not as concentrated as the Génifique). It's called "Youth Code" and goes directly on the skin after cleansing/toning, and underneath any serums and/or moisturizers. The "Skin Genesis" line of L'Oreal is modeled after the Collaser 5X serums and High Resolution moisturizers, with the addition of a cleanser containing an AHA that I personally like a lot more than any department store brand of facial cleanser.

Speaking of, the Collaser 5X serums will be discontinued later this year, but they are being replaced by a newer and (of course) improved version of same. Not sure what the name of it will be as of yet, but will keep you posted.

beepbeep
07-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Love this!!!! :) You have pretty hands.

Thanks! :)

This is Colorama's Absinto, the Brazilian shameless rip off version of Chanel's Jade. It's a perfect dupe, down to the blueish small glitter/shimmer, at the US equivalent of $1.60 for 8ml.

I've decided a couple of months ago to take pictures of my hans when I use polishes from my stash, because swatching(and keeping) them on some cheap fake nails around my drawer just wouldn't be practical. It would get even worse if I try combining the polishes. So, I'm taking pictures now.

My nail polish stash is currently at 115. :slinkaway

Cyn, lurved your post :D

I'm so envious of you all having Sephora, Ulta, etc. at your disposal :drama: at fair prices.
We'll have it on 2012, but it will most definetively be our ridiculously tax inflated prices (make up tends to be 3x the price for the same product outside Brazil).

Lanie
07-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Cyn, thanks so much for all your info! I'm tempted by the Eye Multiple Action though I'm only 25 I have lovely undereye wrinkles (yay genes). I keep searching for something that might help the appearance of them.

I've been freaking addicted to nail polish lately. I need to go buy some new ones. Well, I don't need to, but I want to!

beepbeep, I LOVE that nail polish!

I'll tell my stepmom about the Precious Cells mascara. She has really short eyelashes and hates 'em.

Scintillation
07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
I don't know if anyone has used the vegan Sparitual line, but I did buy a nice bright magenta color called Drop dead gorgeous. I like the color but it takes two coats before you really see that deep magenta color, plus it doesn't stay on very well. In short: Stick with OPI.
Also I am super excited to be going to NYC this week, so I can finally use my discount at the only freestanding Bumble and Bumble location. WOOT!

Cyn
07-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Lanie, before resorting to the Renergie EMA, try their Collaser 5X eye serum first. It does a fab job at re-plumping skin and diminishing fine lines/wrinkles (no joke, you will see some kickass results within 48 hours).

The difference between it (along with the High Resolution moisturizer line) and the Renergie products is the amount of moisturizing/hydration and anti-aging components. They are much higher in the Renergie products, which are designed for skin that is older and drier -- the target demographic for Renergie is generally peri-menopausal/menopausal women, whose skin is usually a lot drier and starting to thin around the eye area.

Using a product that is too strong at too young of an age can have a backlash effect of causing your body to decrease its natural production of these things if its being supplied externally.

The Collaser 5X Eye serum is $65 USD, but it will last for several months (longer than the REMA will last), even with morning and nighttime use. The desired results are even more probable if used along with Génifique or L'Oreal's Youth Code (the proof for me, so to speak, is that I use these products, and at 44, my eye area is in better shape and looks younger than those of my sister (who is 36). Not being able to see/examine your skin in person makes it more difficult to make an accurate recommendation, but given your age, and if the condition of the skin on your forehead, cheeks, and mouth area is good, there's no real need to go all-out with the REMA unless your eye area is waaayyyyy different than the rest of your face.

My best advice would be to ask a Lancome consultant - and don't be afraid to grill her or be intimidated into "buying up." With each advancing stage of their products, the prices go up, and a consultant who cares only about her numbers will often try to convince you to go for the more $$$ product, regardless of whether or not it's what you really need.

If you're not sure, demand samples, of which they will usually be quite happy to provide. A good consultant will 1) understand your wanting to try an expensive product before buying it, and 2) have enough foresight to realize that it's better to recommend/sell a product that might not be as expensive but will do what the customer wants which, in the cosmetics field, is important as that kind of sales technique and honesty is what generates trust, creates repeat customers and builds a devoted client base.

Lanie
07-11-2011, 05:48 AM
I'll go to the Lancome counter tomorrow and check out some samples! :D Thanks so much Cyn!

IceAlisa
07-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Lolita Lempicka has a new flanker to its LL, the original: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P290900&categoryId=B70

It sounds right up my alley but speaking of alleys, the MUA have these jumbled reviews of this, dating back to 2009 and this was just unveiled. :confused: Need to stop by Sephora to sniff.

kimkom
07-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Lolita Lempicka has a new flanker to its LL, the original: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P290900&categoryId=B70

This might just be the strangest sentence I've ever read. :rofl:

IceAlisa
07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
:P

skategal
07-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Hey all,

I just scored the Benefit Primer "That Gal" for $15 originally priced at $34. Wheeee!!

I love how the pink lotion brightens my skin and makes me look less ghastly white. Sometimes I can even wear the primer alone without foundation over it.

My local Shoppers Drug Mart must be discontinuing their (small) supply of Benefit. Too bad there was nothing else of Benefit there on sale....but I'll check back again next week.

beepbeep...I love the nail polish. My stash sits at about 57 bottles.

fan
07-14-2011, 06:14 PM
does anyone have the benefit posey tint? I bought it and use it as a cheek stain, but it comes out quite blotchy. any advice? i just put it straight on my skin - no foundation, no primer or anything.