PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
There is a misconception that hiring a pro make-up artist means a heavily made up look. Why is that? :confused: It's really quite the opposite if you get someone good.

Veronika
02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
I think it's all of those people who get makeovers at department stores? I don't know.

For me, I'm mostly just cheap. ;)

Andora
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
There is a misconception that hiring a pro make-up artist means a heavily made up look. Why is that? :confused: It's really quite the opposite if you get someone good.

Well... sometimes you can't afford someone really good. :shuffle:

It's also what's available in the area. Last time I was a bridesmaid, the wedding was in a small town. I'd already shelled out a lot, and so a friend and I decided to do our own makeup, while the other girls went to the local pro who used Mary Kay. There is NOTHING wrong with Mary Kay make up-- some of it is really nice stuff. But the women who sell it are given basic cards for certain looks, and often they don't go any further than that. Everyone looked alright, but no better than my friend and I who did our own makeup. And other weddings I've been to, the bride looks HEAVILY made up. Maybe that's best for pictures? But they weren't comfortable that day, and one didn't look like herself at all. That bride was also the one who got married in the same area my wedding is going to be in. :lol:

If I can find someone at a decent price who does good work, that's one thing. If not, it's a good excuse to really dive in to research and practice and purchasing some fantastic products. :)

Habs
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
If I can find someone at a decent price who does good work, that's one thing. If not, it's a good excuse to really dive in to research and practice and purchasing some fantastic products. :)

That's what I did before my wedding. I probably spent more money trying out products than I would have on a makeup artist, but I bought some great things and did my own makeup. Oh, and.... I looked great! :P

IceAlisa
02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Well... sometimes you can't afford someone really good. :shuffle: I don't remember how much I paid but it wasn't more than a few hundred USD. Of course that was almost 10 years ago. :shuffle: I made sure she was local and close to the wedding location so that she wouldn't have to charge extra for travel and time.

If I can find someone at a decent price who does good work, that's one thing. I think it's possible but will likely require some time.

If not, it's a good excuse to really dive in to research and practice and purchasing some fantastic products. :)

Make sure the math checks out and buying a whole bunch of new products doesn't exceed or equal hiring a professional. If you do end up doing it yourself, the advice from my make up artist was to avoid anything frosted/shiny as it would reflect in pics. Also, she said to take into consideration whether it's an outdoor or indoor wedding, daylight or night. She used a brand of non smear lipgloss so that my husband didn't end up with it during the kiss. :P

PDilemma
02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Cyn, you'd be fab-- you're already a make up and skin care rockstar from afar for some of us here. :cheer:

So, I'm thinking of doing my own makeup for my wedding in the fall. If I can nail a great foundation, I'm not seeing any reason why I shouldn't. My face can't hold a lot of makeup and look good unless I'm going for a painted look. :P Final decision will come at my brother's wedding, as I'm taking part in the professional makeup artist for the day. If it looks amazing, I'll consider outside sources. If not, I'll save my money. To spend on more make up. ;)

I did my own. I had a consultation at Sephora. I told the girl doing that that I wanted a natural look enhanced enough to photograph well and stay on all day. We played with stuff there and she was not high pressure about sales. I thought about things, looked at some other places and ended up buying most of it there. But I have used up everything I bought for the wedding since (I've been married 1 yr and nearly 9 mths) except the mascara because I don't wear that often due to eye allergies. I have even bought some of the products again.

skatemommy
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Saw an ad in a magazine today for EverSleek (L'oreal) shampoo and conditioner starring JLo. Has anyone tried it?

skategal
02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I did my own makeup for my wedding too. Although I did go to a consultation with someone I knew and trusted a couple of weeks beforehand and tried out a bridal look with her. The I modified it for the day of the wedding. I think I purchased the eyeshadow, eyebrow pencil and lipstick from her but the rest was my own stuff.

I got lots of compliments on how nice my makeup was on my wedding day and how it wasn't too overdone.

I agree that too much makeup is bad for your wedding day. You want to look like the best version of yourself....not a made-up Barbie doll.

skategal
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I was thinking in the morning I would just splash warm water on my face and use moisturizer with spf. Does that sound ok or :scream:?

This is exactly what I have always done. I just use warm water in the morning and then add moisturizer and makeup. In the evening I use the cleanser.

I do this because I have sensitive skin and using cleanser twice a day aggravates it.

PDilemma
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
My Sephora goodies bought with a Christmas gift card came just now!!!

Yay!!!

Korres Pomegranate Cleansing Mask and a Nars Lip Pencil!

Angela-Fan
02-25-2011, 12:39 AM
In a moment of weakness I bought the bed head moisture maniac shampoo and conditioner.
But I did need new shampoo. No really I did. I have neutrogena soothing scalp shampoo and neutrogena triple moisture conditioner. I use those when my scalp is annoying me. I also have tresemme smoothing shampoo/conditioner. I am almost out of it and I will not be buying them again. The tresemme shampoo seems to irritate my scalp. :rolleyes: Whenever I complain of sore scalp, people just look at me funny.

vesperholly
02-25-2011, 01:43 AM
In a moment of weakness I bought the bed head moisture maniac shampoo and conditioner.
But I did need new shampoo. No really I did. I have neutrogena soothing scalp shampoo and neutrogena triple moisture conditioner. I use those when my scalp is annoying me. I also have tresemme smoothing shampoo/conditioner. I am almost out of it and I will not be buying them again. The tresemme shampoo seems to irritate my scalp. :rolleyes: Whenever I complain of sore scalp, people just look at me funny.

I get a sore scalp too! I just started a different Herbal Essences shampoo (Tousle Me Gently, usually I use Drama Clean) and my scalp was hurty for a few days. It felt like I had my hair up tightly in a ponytail for hours, and then released it. Pulling my hair in different directions actually relieved the pain. I think I got used to it, though, because my scalp is fine today.

IceAlisa
02-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Alright, glamorous ladies. I've got a question for you. My tween niece is turning 12 and is asking for perfume. You know these tweens these days.

So fine, I am going to give her Fresh Strawberry Flowers because it's well, fresh and light. Is this something that tween girls would like?

vesperholly
02-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Alright, glamorous ladies. I've got a question for you. My tween niece is turning 12 and is asking for perfume. You know these tweens these days.

So fine, I am going to give her Fresh Strawberry Flowers because it's well, fresh and light. Is this something that tween girls would like?

That sounds like a nice perfume :) Maybe give her one of those perfume sets that have a bunch of little bottles? I think both Sephora and Ulta have them. That way she has options, and isn't stuck with one if she doesn't like it.

IceAlisa
02-25-2011, 11:57 PM
That's a good idea. Her mom asked me not to give her anything strong as the tween has a very heavy hand with perfume so the set would have to be composed of all light scents. I want to keep peace in the family.

The kid likes fruity florals and this one is a very non-offensive one even if she overdoes it. Which she will.