PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Norlite
01-28-2011, 12:04 AM
I just bought my 6 year old granddaughter Love's Baby Soft. :shuffle:

SDM had their little Christmas bottles reduced from $6 to $2. :lol:

I can't wear perfume. Or be around anyone wearing it where I can smell it more than the teeniest of tiny whiffs. But I do find myself intrigued by a Michel Germain scent every time I walk through The Bay. Sexual Sugar. I need to sample it every time. Then I go buy pastry. ;)

IceAlisa
01-28-2011, 01:26 AM
That's all well and nice, but what does this book say about Love's Baby Soft? Or the classic Exclamation? ;)

I'm guessing he hates the perfumes I wear, and I might be afraid of what it describes on the chance the author likes them. :P

No mention of Love's Baby Soft but here's Exclamation:

3/5 stars which means good, powdery rose

This particular one is written by his co-author Tania Sanchez

My junior high smelled like this, as junior highs have perhaps ever after, so I was afraid I'd have trouble being objective through a fog of nostalgia.

No trouble: this is a loud, crudely charming, low-budget version of Sophia Grojsman's hallmark, a rose tricked out with the big, sweet woody-fruity smell of violets, which started with Paris YSL.

So no, they don't hate it at all.

Today in honor of this thread and Cyn I am wearing Chanel No. 19 (have a sample--I have millions of samples). The good news I feel rather chic. The bad news is I've got a headache. :shuffle:

skategal
01-28-2011, 01:27 AM
We can barely ever wear perfume where I live in Canada. Most offices, schools, hospitals, churches etc, are all scent-free.

I have tons of perfume and NEVER get to wear it unless I am going out at night (after coming home to change and put it on or dragging it with me to work) or on vacation.

Andora
01-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Just so we're clear, I don't wear Exclamation or Baby Soft anymore. :lol: I failed at being cheeky.

I'm pretty much stuck on Fresh Lychee and Body Shop's Cherry Blossom. Anything else I currently own has strong associations I'd rather forget. Like Stila's Jade Blossom. I bought that in 2006, right before a particularly vodka-filled summer. When I smell it, I smell vodka, which isn't appealing. ;)

Maybe I should return to my Stella McCartney perfume while it's still super cold and wintery.

Stefanie
01-28-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm pretty much stuck on Fresh Lychee and Body Shop's Cherry Blossom. Anything else I currently old has strong associations I'd rather forget. Like Stila's Jade Blossom. I bought that in 2006, right before a particularly vodka-filled summer. When I smell it, I smell vodka, which isn't appealing. ;)

:lol: I'm the same way! Especially when it comes to men's colognes--especially with Cool Water. It takes me back to a major crush I had on a guy during college...so maybe it's not such a bad thing. ;)

IceAlisa
01-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Just so we're clear, I don't wear Exclamation or Baby Soft anymore. :lol: I failed at being cheeky. Well, I am well into my 30s and wear Pink Sugar so why not? :P

I'm pretty much stuck on Fresh Lychee and Body Shop's Cherry Blossom.
They didn't do Fresh or Body Shop. They did some Stella McCartney but not Stila.

vesperholly
01-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Fresh Lychee

Ooh, I love this perfume! It's my go-to summer scent. Lately I've been wearing D+G's No. 3 L'Imperatrice, which I wanted for ages and got a nearly-full bottle for a steal on a blog sale.

My old winter scent is FCUK Her, but I replaced it this year with Kenzo Amour Indian Holi. I hate that Kenzo Flower perfume, but the Amours are so nice. Does the book rate any Kenzo perfumes?

IceAlisa
01-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Ooh, I love this perfume! It's my go-to summer scent. Lately I've been wearing D+G's No. 3 L'Imperatrice, which I wanted for ages and got a nearly-full bottle for a steal on a blog sale. I tried l'Imperatrice and was really intrigued. It smelled boozy to me. :summer:

My old winter scent is FCUK Her, but I replaced it this year with Kenzo Amour Indian Holi. I hate that Kenzo Flower perfume, but the Amours are so nice. Does the book rate any Kenzo perfumes?

Not a big fan of Flower but Amour, the original is great. The bottle is stunning. I love that scent but it doesn't really work for me. :drama:
And yes, Da Book likes Amour, 4/5 stars, inedible vanilla. Goes on and on about how gorgeous the bottle is and in the end says:

KA has the plushness of a vanillic amber without the flat creme-brulee angle and the contemplative, muted floral coolness of Je Reviens without the bitter, poisonous character of salicylates. (:huh: When I hear the word salicylate, I think aspirin) In fact, the irresolution between "Eat me" and "Don't eat me" is what makes this fragrance great.
Loves Flower too, 4/5 melon woody. Perfume equivalent of a Gershwin tune. :inavoid:

zhenya271
01-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Pure Poison review:

4/5 stars, woody jasmine:

Can you tell I luuuurve this book? :P

Holy Smokes, three whole blocks!!! Good thing I didn't have anywhere to go but to pick my son up from school, never having to leave the car. I seriously thought that scent could be migraine inducing.

Does the book give a history of the designer houses? Very interesting, handy book, but I imagine it could be a very dangerous enabler.:P

We can barely ever wear perfume where I live in Canada. Most offices, schools, hospitals, churches etc, are all scent-free.

I have tons of perfume and NEVER get to wear it unless I am going out at night (after coming home to change and put it on or dragging it with me to work) or on vacation.

I'm not Canadian and I can't remember where we were living at the time, may have been overseas but one of my daughter's teachers sent out a note at the beginning of the year asking students/parents to please refrain from wearing strong scents around her as she reacts poorly to them. I could kind of understand her pain, I have a sensitive nose myself and get headaches too.

That's all well and nice, but what does this book say about Love's Baby Soft? Or the classic Exclamation? ;)

I'm guessing he hates the perfumes I wear, and I might be afraid of what it describes on the chance the author likes them. :P

I can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on NP, but then my nail polish tastes tend to change every year. Last year I couldn't get enough of matte finishes. This year I looooove a shiny-- but NOT shimmery-- jewel tone, and some really clean nudes. I'd never make a $69 bottle worth it.

I did just spend $5 on a hideous nude shade. I thought it was a pinky-beige, but it's more orange and NOT ME. Pissed me off until I realized my mom would love it, and I could leverage it to stop a future guilt trip, maybe.

Ugh, I hate when nude/neutrals are too orange. I have lots of OPI Bubble Bath floating around, but once I bought some Malaysian Mist, I think it was called for something different. Yuck, it was like Fake Tan meets Bubble Bath or something, just gross! :lol::) Well, it's all relative to skin tone, might be perfectly lovely on someone else.:)

Speaking of jewel tones, next on my list...Gondola (http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2009/07/chanel-intermezzo-and-gondola-le-vernis.html).
I don't care if it's more suited for Fall, I just need to have it before it's gone.:lol:

vesperholly
01-28-2011, 05:59 AM
I tried l'Imperatrice and was really intrigued. It smelled boozy to me. :summer:

It smells like grapefruits to me. :rollin: I like that it's light and sweet, but not too cloying. It's an eau de toilette, though, so it disappears in like 2 hours.

Amazon has this to say about its ingredients:

L'Imperatrice is a confident, charismatic, boundary-shattering blend with a top of rhubarb, kiwi accord, and red currant; a heart of pink cyclamen, watermelon, and jasmine; and a base of musk, sandalwood, and grapefruit wood.

If anyone here likes Tommy Girl, the newest Bath & Body Works scent, Secret Wonderland, smells exactly like it.

IceAlisa
01-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Does the book give a history of the designer houses? Very interesting, handy book, but I imagine it could be a very dangerous enabler.:P
As a matter of fact, it does give lots of background and even gossip which I find fascinating. As to enabling, so far I haven't bought anything new (yet) and I've read through a good chunk of the book by myself and what with you guys requesting quotes. I luuurves it. :)

Speaking of jewel tones, next on my list...Gondola (http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2009/07/chanel-intermezzo-and-gondola-le-vernis.html).
I don't care if it's more suited for Fall, I just need to have it before it's gone.:lol:
Gondola is very pretty and reminded me of the other Chanel polish I have from last year, Fantastic: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xa0_qCSmSyM/TMlDJJB7u8I/AAAAAAAAA2o/f3wZUp4DJmM/s1600/Chanel+481+Fantastic+zoom+flash.jpg

I think that's what's going on my currently bare nails next. In other nail polish news, I donated all my glittery ones to my 12 year old niece today. I feel I am too old for glitter. :drama:

beepbeep
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I think that's what's going on my currently bare nails next. In other nail polish news, I donated all my glittery ones to my 12 year old niece today. I feel I am too old for glitter. :drama:

No such thing as too old for glitaah!! :soapbox:
(I got some 3D glitter on myself...)

But kudos on the good action! Your niece must have loved it! :cool:

Cyn
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
There is no Eau du Soir by Humberto D'Anorio but there is one by Sisley. And that one is no good per Da Book. 1/5 cheap chypre

It is marked as pretty expensive between $101 and $200.

He also doesn't seem to like many if not most of Creed creations and neither do I.

That's the stuff - there's a Sisley tag on the bottom of the bottle. Given how absolutely disgusting it is, I cannot believe it's $100+ a pop :yikes: .

Today in honor of this thread and Cyn I am wearing Chanel No. 19 (have a sample--I have millions of samples). The good news I feel rather chic. The bad news is I've got a headache. :shuffle:

*insert jealous whining* You have samples of No.19? :drama: I have several of Coco, Chance, and No. 5, and a bunch of Coco Mademoiselle lotion packets. The only store in Atlanta that carries No. 19 is Needless Markup, so no one has the VOC (vial-on-card) samples.

From working retail (and raiding the drawers behind the parfum counter :saint: ), I amassed a bunch of VOCs - all those Chanel ones, True Religion, Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue, Ed Hardy (which I find :scream: but MiniCyn likes), more Lancôme Magnifique, Trésor, and Hypnôse that you could shake a stick at, Usher Raymond (which sounds cheesy but isn't bad - MiniCyn has a small bottle of it after trying it), a couple of Jessica McClintock (for nostalgia's sake), and (after using several of them) only a couple of Estée Lauder's White Linen Light Breeze (which smells nothing like Pure White Linen aka Original Recipe, which I also like).

I could have had way more samples if I'd wanted the ones I didn't like - at the place I worked, they couldn't give away the likes of Jessica Simpson (which smells like cheap cotton candy), any of the Paris Hilton sewer water, D&G's The One (which, just NO :scream: ), Usher original recipe, Mariah Carey's nasty concoctions, and (of course) any of the Britney Spears gas station toilet water "scents."

Just so we're clear, I don't wear Exclamation or Baby Soft anymore. :lol: I failed at being cheeky.

Love's came out with a new fragrance last year called Love's Rain Forest. CVS had a tester of it, and out of curiosity I smelled it, and I bought a bottle :lol: . I don't wear it during the day - while I'll sometime spritz a little bit on before crawling in bed, I use it primarily on my sheets and pillows. It's a very light, clean botanical. In December, I found a gift set, and for the price of a small bottle (11.99), I got in addition to it, there was a bottle of body mist (a little lighter scented) and a thing of body lotion, which I lurves :swoon: . A portion of the price goes to help save the rainforests, so they inadvertently got me to be a tree hugger :lol: .

:lol: I'm the same way! Especially when it comes to men's colognes--especially with Cool Water. It takes me back to a major crush I had on a guy during college...so maybe it's not such a bad thing. ;)

Have you ever tried Cool Water for Women? I have a bottle of that, and it's a good summertime scent as it has that salty, beachy smell to it (why did I hear Kramer when I typed that? :lol: ) that reminds me a bit of the fragrance (dating myself here) Sand & Sable.

My fragrance score of the month: Kroger, believe it or not carries (or rather, carried) several department-store brands of parfum, but they decided to get rid of them and, as a result, they put all of their stock on clearance. I snagged a 1.7 oz. bottle of Estée Lauder's Pleasures for $35 (retail price is $55) :cheer2:.

Stefanie
01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Have you ever tried Cool Water for Women? I have a bottle of that, and it's a good summertime scent as it has that salty, beachy smell to it (why did I hear Kramer when I typed that? :lol: ) that reminds me a bit of the fragrance (dating myself here) Sand & Sable.

:lol: Funny you mentioned Sand & Sable. That was the first "real" perfume I owned when I was 12 years old! I remember my mom buying me that for Christmas...I must have asked for it. Then I graduated on to Elizabeth Arden's "Sunflower" for my 13th birthday.

(I totally got the Kramer reference. "They stole my idea!" "I don't want any trouble, Calvin." :lol:)

Cyn
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I must, I tell you, MUST have this (http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/Fragrance-N°19-N°19-119925) (limited edition).

I will acquire it, by any means, if necessary :sekret: :saint: . That (the bottle design) is just too amazing to let get away. The regular one is a left-over-from-the-'70s fug rectangular spray bottle :scream: .

ETA: For all of you nail polish lovers out there... (http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/Makeup-Nails-89313) :lol: