PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Ballerina has the tiniest hint of sparkle. It's very subtle but mostly the effect is soft pink: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4999631895_f37468ea1a.jpg

Not my hand.

Metro Chic vs. Particuliere: the difference is that Metro Chic has some purple which I consider somewhat more wearable than Particuliere.

zhenya271
01-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Ballerina has the tiniest hint of sparkle. It's very subtle but mostly the effect is soft pink: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4999631895_f37468ea1a.jpg

Not my hand.

Metro Chic vs. Particuliere: the difference is that Metro Chic has some purple which I consider somewhat more wearable than Particuliere.

Ballerina is very nice.:) ( It's already on my list)

Metro Chic sounds nice, too. The purple addition would make it much more wearable in my book as well. There is Chanel Paradoxal which some say is like a combination of popular vampy purple Vendetta and the aforementioned Particuliere. I'm not going to even go there, unless I tried it at a counter, though, I have too many other more traditional, colors on my wish list.:), well except for maybe Black Pearl, I guess that's not so traditional.:shuffle:

vesperholly
01-27-2011, 04:33 AM
There is Chanel Paradoxal which some say is like a combination of popular vampy purple Vendetta and the aforementioned Particuliere. I'm not going to even go there, unless I tried it at a counter

Revlon has a total dupe of Paradoxal, it's called Perplex. It's not been easy to find, though - I snagged it for $4 off a nearly-empty display at Ulta, and I didn't see it at any drugstores (though I barely looked). I'm turning into a complete purple hoor :shuffle:

Anyway, look at the precious:

http://www.thepolishaholic.com/2010/11/revlon-perplex-vs-chanel-paradoxal.html

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 05:19 AM
^^^Wow, identical twins. :eek: Great find!

Check this out, Chanel Khaki Vert: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iJGwjRavBjk/TMgv4jYGX0I/AAAAAAAAA9E/-_mGZNpm3F4/s1600/KhakiVert.JPG

Am I brave enough? I don't think it would suit me and would clash with the olive tones in my skin (the last thing I need is to look greener than the Wicked Witch of the West) but perhaps in the summer with a tan...certainly not at work.

Oh and apparently Essie has a twin of this, called Sew Psyched and seems to have a little more blue in it (which I prefer): http://media.photobucket.com/image/sew+psyched+essie+/shortandsweetnails/NOTD2/EssieSewPsyched.jpg

zhenya271
01-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Revlon has a total dupe of Paradoxal, it's called Perplex. It's not been easy to find, though - I snagged it for $4 off a nearly-empty display at Ulta, and I didn't see it at any drugstores (though I barely looked). I'm turning into a complete purple hoor :shuffle:

Anyway, look at the precious:

http://www.thepolishaholic.com/2010/11/revlon-perplex-vs-chanel-paradoxal.html

Perfect dupe! I love purples too. I just got a pair of black glossy Hunter rainboots and I really love them, but I can't stop wondering if I should have gotten the aubergine ones.:) Yeah, crazy, I love my rainboots!:lol:

IceAlisa, the Khaki Vert is very pretty. Do you have a Chanel counter nearby to test it out? Is this one easy to find? I don't remember seeing it at Chanel.com or some of the online dept. stores online recently.

I can't believe how much some older discontinued NPs go for. I was looking for the Blue from the Moscow Nights collection and it was around $69.:eek: It was sooo beautiful!:(

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 06:05 AM
If you like purples, check out OPI for Sephora Call Your Mother and On Stage. Love them.

I do have a Chanel counter nearby AND I have a friend who works for Barney's and buys me a few shades of Chanel nail polish for my birthday. She is the one who introduced me to Ballerina. Perhaps this year I can make a request, my birthday is coming up, ha ha...

I am afraid you are right though and Khaki Vert does not seem to be available but Allegoria is.

And finally, Sephora has this really cute mini collection called Urban Ballerina (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;$sessionid$N4I3SE54CJB4GCV0KSIBPIQ;j sessionid=N4I3SE54CJB4GCV0KSIBPIQ?id=P281423&categoryId=B70#).

Cyn
01-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I can't believe how much some older discontinued NPs go for. I was looking for the Blue from the Moscow Nights collection and it was around $69.:eek: It was sooo beautiful!:(

:eek: $69 for a nail polish?! I don't know whether to :rofl: or :yikes:

zhenya271
01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
If you like purples, check out OPI for Sephora Call Your Mother and On Stage. Love them.

I do have a Chanel counter nearby AND I have a friend who works for Barney's and buys me a few shades of Chanel nail polish for my birthday. She is the one who introduced me to Ballerina. Perhaps this year I can make a request, my birthday is coming up, ha ha...

I am afraid you are right though and Khaki Vert does not seem to be available but Allegoria is.

And finally, Sephora has this really cute mini collection called Urban Ballerina (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;$sessionid$N4I3SE54CJB4GCV0KSIBPIQ;j sessionid=N4I3SE54CJB4GCV0KSIBPIQ?id=P281423&categoryId=B70#).

Oooh, nice friend! I really like the purple and grey! I also like the brushes in the mini sets - so easy to work with, imo.

:eek: $69 for a nail polish?! I don't know whether to :rofl: or :yikes:

I know, suckers everywhere! :lol: I always feel like one shelling out money for NP or lipstick and only using it once because the color just doesn't work out, could you imagine that happening at that price?!:(

On another note...I found out I have a whole set of Poison Pure! Parfum, bodywash, and moisturizer.:lol: I had forgotten I had it and can't recall on which occasion I got it, anyway after I gave myself a spritz I see why I have forgotten it. The scent itself is nice, definitely nicer than the Poison I remember from the 80s, but I could smell it on myself for hours. Maybe I'll try it under layers of clothes.:lol:

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Pure Poison review:

4/5 stars, woody jasmine:

With a radiance covering roughly three city blocks, Pure Poison is a no-holds-barred floral oriental, which feels like a simple tune played on a cathedral organ.

This is a massive, sweet orange-blossom-and-jasmine affair, plus candied orange peel, with a few big woody notes to let people know you mean business. It feels designed for the woman who wears a Wonderbra and no discernible blouse under her suit.

Can you tell I luuuurve this book? :P

Cyn
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
IceAlisa - can you look up a fragrance called "Eau de Soir" by Humberto D'Anorio? I was given this bottle from a friend who didn't want it - the stuff came from Nieman Marcus and supposedly is ridiculously expensive, but IMO it smells like a combination of B.O. and a stale attic trunk :scream: . I'd love to know what the Parfum Guru has to say about it :lol:

IceAlisa
01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
There is no Eau du Soir by Humberto D'Anorio but there is one by Sisley. And that one is no good per Da Book. 1/5 cheap chypre

Unpleasant cheap chypre It is marked as pretty expensive between $101 and $200.

He also doesn't seem to like many if not most of Creed creations and neither do I.

Andora
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Can you tell I luuuurve this book? :P

That's all well and nice, but what does this book say about Love's Baby Soft? Or the classic Exclamation? ;)

I'm guessing he hates the perfumes I wear, and I might be afraid of what it describes on the chance the author likes them. :P

I know, suckers everywhere! :lol: I always feel like one shelling out money for NP or lipstick and only using it once because the color just doesn't work out, could you imagine that happening at that price?!:(

I can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on NP, but then my nail polish tastes tend to change every year. Last year I couldn't get enough of matte finishes. This year I looooove a shiny-- but NOT shimmery-- jewel tone, and some really clean nudes. I'd never make a $69 bottle worth it.

I did just spend $5 on a hideous nude shade. I thought it was a pinky-beige, but it's more orange and NOT ME. Pissed me off until I realized my mom would love it, and I could leverage it to stop a future guilt trip, maybe.

Angela-Fan
01-27-2011, 11:27 PM
:lol: exclamation was the soo cool when I was like 12. I thought I was hot stuff when I wore it. :lol: Ugh I was such a dork

Andora
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
:lol: exclamation was the soo cool when I was like 12. I thought I was hot stuff when I wore it. :lol: Ugh I was such a dork

:rofl: Me, too! But even then, I thought Baby Soft was so gross. :shuffle: Wasn't there a sister fragrance with it, in purple?

My grandmother had just about every perfume you could imagine. I loved visiting her, and seeing all the pretty bottles. Except Chanel No 5. That was boring looking and awful smelling. :lol: Her Salvador Dali set was really neat, though, at least my young teen self thought so. I bought a mini-perfume set a few years ago, thinking it would be so fantastic. Man, those scents are HEAVY.

kimkom
01-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I have the worst time with perfume; everything smells like BO on me. :scream: I've been trying different scents for 20 years and I've only found one that smells "okay" - Versace's Bright Crystal.

I won't even admit to the perfume I wear because it's a cheapie and is as old as the hills. :shuffle: When I smell it right from the bottle, I think it's gross, but I get compliments on it constantly, so it's what I wear. The book probably doesn't even review it. :lol: