PDA

View Full Version : Jean Senft's Book "Triumph on Ice: The New World of Figure skating"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

caseyedwards
02-11-2011, 05:09 AM
The Canadian cover is V&M but the American cover is Lysacek.

CynicElle
02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
The Canadian cover is V&M but the American cover is Lysacek.

Yep! That was a very nice surprise (for me, anyhow:lol:) when I got my copy from Amazon last night. The photo of the book cover on Amazon had V&M.

Gerard
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Have your pick of old footage from figure skating championships here: http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=figure+skating

I found Dick Button and Barbara-Ann Scott, likely the 1947 Worlds (outdoors) in Switzerland.

Amazing and fascinating - the audience is captivated <<glued>> to the performances. By comparison with today's skating it is so easy to <<see>> the elements, but still this old footage offers unequal appeal. In those days, I do not see judging as particularly difficult, wondering however why it took so long for judging to evolve...

Frau Muller
02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Yep! That was a very nice surprise (for me, anyhow:lol:) when I got my copy from Amazon last night. The photo of the book cover on Amazon had V&M.

That's why I ordered the Canadian edition. :lol:

flowerpower
02-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I know a lot of people hate the new system, but I love where skating has gone technically. I guess my questions is, would we have every known that 6.0 skating was less superior techinically without the new system? I probably would have just kept on enjoying skating as it was.

Good question.

In the old system, I found that 95% of the programs were pretty empty in terms of transitions and choreography-- and that made the few exceptional skaters really stand out.

In this new system, I am enjoying more like 70-80% of the programs.

So while I might not have known any better if the new system hadnt come around, I certainly do enjoy watching skating a lot more now.

I've often imagined what would have happened if Internet boards, live streaming of competitions worldwide, etc. had been present in the heyday of 6.0.

I completely agree that in those days, most programs were choreographically empty. Even the top skaters did mainly crosscuts between their "big jumps", falls and poor/cheated landings were common, music was often pieced together from unrelated selections (including the mandatory "slow part in the middle to get your breath back" ). "Name skaters" were held up routinely despite errors...I could go on and on.

But people globally could not watch those programs and dissect the minute details with other skating fans during and after the events. Today we have the opportunities to scrutunize and be critical, so we do exactly that.

No nostalgia for 6.0 here. I definitely prefer the well-rounded skaters we're seeing now, and higher (overall) quality.

Frau Muller
02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
.....No nostalgia for 6.0 here. I definitely prefer the well-rounded skaters we're seeing now, and higher (overall) quality.

No kidding!

I wish that I could find on YouTube the Nancy Kerrigan 'World of Skating' show in which she was moping about the then-new Code of Points system being inferior to the 6.0 in every respect, including it being the "end of surprise endings"! :rofl:

Mariko88
02-15-2011, 03:22 AM
IMO Daisuke should have won :saint:

YES!

Jaana
02-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tak
IMO Daisuke should have won

YES!

I have no doubts that Takahashi would have won if he had skated a faultless freeskate, but he did not and was 5th. I think he should have been higher and gotten a silver medal though.

giselle23
02-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Why would MK's Nationals performance have anything to do with the Olympics. Why should she have been compared/contrasted with herself?

That "tentative myth" came out of Verne Lundquist's mouth after Tara skated. They were "ah ga googooing" over MK and never mentioned tentative(after MK's performance) until after Tara had skated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Frank make some comment about Michelle being tentative, too? As for the Nationals comparison, I totallly agree.

Gerard
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
It's not about winning, it's about how you win - it's about what you do and how you change things and how you change yourself - perhaps you have won not necessarily when a medal is around your neck but when everybody stands up, gives you a forever ovation and from their heart tells you: <<this was truly great!>>

Dragonlady
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Frank make some comment about Michelle being tentative, too? As for the Nationals comparison, I totallly agree.

The CBC interviewed Michelle Kwan after she skated and before Tara skated. They basically congratulated her on winning the gold medal saying her skate couldn't be beat and Michelle said "I left the door open, just a crack" and showed a small space between her finger and thumb.

Rafter
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Interesting that Senft wrote a book. She hardly needs the money. :lol:

victorskid
02-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Interesting that Senft wrote a book. She hardly needs the money. :lol:

Lots of people write books for reasons other than a financial reward...

Rafter
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Lots of people write books for reasons other than a financial reward...

Duh, really? I was joking. :rolleyes: