PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Skaters who have also done Pairs Skating.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

ssmith17
12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
John Kerr has competed in singles, pairs, and ice dance!

Kati
12-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Did someone mention Jessica Dube (Dube/Davison) already?

Mikkeline Kierkegaard who was a singles skater from Denmark tried pairs in Germany with Norman Jeschke.

Eva-Maria Fitze from Germany tried both singles and pairs, so did Katerina Berankova from Czech Republik. And Marie-Pierre Leray from France?

And Fedor Andreev, but he maybe was mentioned already?

aliceanne
12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Amanda Dobbs competed in senior pairs and singles at Nationals in 2008 or 2009.

In 1997 a 15 year-old Shelby Lyons competed in both pairs and ladies' singles at senior nationals. She and her partner made the World team.

Naomi Nari Nam

Katia Gordeeva

julieann
12-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I think many skaters have done both (or tried) but not to great success. Rudy Galindo and Kristi Yamaguchi would be the best exception. They won the national title twice as a pair and Rudy won nationals as a single and 3rd at worlds. Kristi also won nationals, worlds and Olympics. I don't think anyone has even come close to that success in both.

Unless by some miracle Jessica Dube wins Canadian Nationals this year.

I wish Ken and JoJo would have competed more, they were really good.

MikiAndoFan#1
12-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Wasn't Tanja Szewczenko going to do pairs last year?

RubyTuesday
12-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Todd Sand competed in singles for Denmark.

DORISPULASKI
12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Since someone brought in dance, and Fedor Andreev has already been mentioned, perhaps we should mention Charlie White, who won the US bronze medal in Novice men's in 2004 and made it to Nationals in Juniors in 2006, where he finished 9th. That was the same year that Davis and White finished won US Nationals in Juniors and finished third at Jr. Worlds in dance, and Charlie gave up skating singles.

Although probably no one but me remembers them Troy & Dawn Goldstein. Troy competed in both pairs and singles.-and dance- and figures.

Here's a site that has what happened to a lot of skaters-and their recipes.

http://skaterscookbook.com/Bio2.htm

Troy Goldstein – competed in singles, as well as pair skating with his sister, Dawn. He is the only skater to date to have qualified for the U.S. Championships in four events – freestyle, dance, pairs and figures. Troy was a member of the U.S. Team from 1987 – 1994. He skated professionally and skated the lead role for the Disney on Ice production of Hercules. Troy has a law degree from California State University at Long Beach.

Also John Baldwin's brother Don is now competing in pairs and used to compete in singles.

DORISPULASKI
12-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Todd Sand competed in singles for Denmark.

And he was unbelievably dreadful :eek: I was so surprised at his success in pairs.

gkelly
12-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I think many skaters have done both (or tried) but not to great success. Rudy Galindo and Kristi Yamaguchi would be the best exception. They won the national title twice as a pair and Rudy won nationals as a single and 3rd at worlds. Kristi also won nationals, worlds and Olympics. I don't think anyone has even come close to that success in both.

Not in the modern era, but if you go back to before WWII, when the field was much smaller and the demands of the sport less athletic, you'll find a few.

E.g., Sonja Henie once competed in pairs at Worlds and finished 5th, equal to Yamaguchi/Galindo's best finish; she won a lot more Worlds and Olympics than Yamaguchi did.

Herma Szabo, Henie's predecessor as world champion, won five world golds and one silver in singles and two golds and one bronze in pairs. In 1925 she won both titles.

DORISPULASKI
12-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I forgot the ever fabulous Robert Wagenhoffer (who as a singles skater qualified for Worlds, and was World Professional champion at least once.) He won the US bronze in 1981, and the silver in 1982. He then retired.

He had previously skated pairs with Vicki Heasly and won the silver at US Nationals in 1979, reversing the usual order of things.

Natasha Kuchiki skated pairs with Todd Sand and won a world bronze, AFAIR, and tried to get a singles career going after Sand left her for Meno and her pairing with Rocky Marval didn't work, but the singles career didn't go well.

julieann
12-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Not in the modern era, but if you go back to before WWII, when the field was much smaller and the demands of the sport less athletic, you'll find a few.

E.g., Sonja Henie once competed in pairs at Worlds and finished 5th, equal to Yamaguchi/Galindo's best finish; she won a lot more Worlds and Olympics than Yamaguchi did.

Herma Szabo, Henie's predecessor as world champion, won five world golds and one silver in singles and two golds and one bronze in pairs. In 1925 she won both titles.

Yikes, I wasn't quite going back that far probably because the demands were less and it was easier to skate both back then.

I wonder what some skaters from the 40s and 50s think about the sport today?

gkelly
12-14-2010, 11:22 PM

Dick Button has had a lot to say on the subject.

Does Barbara Ann Scott?

Guess you'd have to ask the others who are still around.

julieann
12-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Dick Button has had a lot to say on the subject.

:D I meant someone lucid :lol:

aliceanne
12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Yikes, I wasn't quite going back that far probably because the demands were less and it was easier to skate both back then.

But don't forget in the 40's and 50's most skating was outdoors and olympic eligible skaters could not accept money for coaching or doing any sport - not just skating. Most of them had to train around school and work, and weather.

Plus singles skaters had 80 figures to learn.

bardtoob
12-16-2010, 06:28 AM

John Nicks was a World Champion in pairs with his sister in the 50s. However, his first pair, Starbuck and Shelley, stated that all three of them learned how to do lifts together (on top of Mr. Nicks grand piano) because they did not exist in the 50s.