PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Skaters who have also done Pairs Skating.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

ChibiChibi
12-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Kyoko Ina competed in singles - she was the Japanese Junior champion and US Junior champion. She finished fourth in Seniors in 1995.

Didn't Rena Inoue also compete in singles? I thought she even went to the Olympics in singles...no?

Aussie Willy
12-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Steven Carr from Australia competed in both pairs and singles for many years.

blue_idealist
12-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Didn't Rena Inoue also compete in singles? I thought she even went to the Olympics in singles...no?

Yeah I thought she did for Japan

Nomad
12-14-2010, 04:35 AM

Yes, she skated in singles until 1998 or so. She was the Japanese silver medalist in 1994 and bronze medalist in 1998, I think.

ETA: She finished 18th at the 94 Olympics.

ryanbfan
12-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Keegan Messing. Used to skate with Ellie Gottstein.

Becky Bereswill.

screech
12-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Though more known for pairs (obviously), Jamie Sale and David Pelletier both competed in singles and had some success.

David was 4th at the 1995 Canadians (2nd in the SP!!) in senior mens, and Jamie was 5th in senior ladies the same year (3rd in junior the year before) and was 12th at junior worlds that year. She also came 6th in 1998.

IIRC, didn't Kurt Browning dabble in pairs a bit in his free time? Maybe back when he was training alongside Kristi Yamaguchi?

And as I mentioned in the Fedor/Jana thread, Fedor and Jenny Kirk tried pairs for a while, though his back troubles (and, I'm assuming, citizenship issues with the two) caused the end of that.

Sylvia
12-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Keegan Messing. Used to skate with Ellie Gottstein.
I think she was taller than he was when they competed together at Intermediate Nationals several years ago! :lol:

Becky Bereswill will make her pairs debut at 2011 US Nationals (Senior) with Trevor Young. She decided not to try and qualify for Nationals in singles this season.

Felicia Zhang is the only skater who will compete in two Senior events at 2011 US Nationals -- Ladies and Pairs (with Taylor Toth). She's also the only U.S. skater to have competed internationally this fall in two disciplines (JGP singles in Dresden, Germany) and pairs at Nebelhorn, Skate America and TEB.

Rachael Flatt's former partner, Andrew Speroff (with whom she won the 2004 Intermediate Pairs title), will make his Senior Pairs debut at 2011 US Nationals with Gretchen Donlan.

ryanbfan, I'm surprised you didn't mention Ryan Bradley! ;) He and Tiffany Vise competed at 1998 Nationals and placed 6th in Novice Pairs.

bardtoob
12-14-2010, 05:27 AM
edit

jjane45
12-14-2010, 05:29 AM
What about singles, pairs, AND dance? I know Jeremy Abbott competed in all three disciplines, but probably not all at high levels.

ryanbfan
12-14-2010, 07:06 AM
ryanbfan, I'm surprised you didn't mention Ryan Bradley! ;) He and Tiffany Vise competed at 1998 Nationals and placed 6th in Novice Pairs.

Bahaha, that's right! It says on his wiki article and I've read the damn thing so many times I should've known :duh:

Ashley Cain currently competes as a Junior lady and Junior pairs team with Joshua Reagan.

screech
12-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Until 2007 Meagan Duhamel was better known as a singles skater, having won the junior Canadian title in 2003, coming 4th in senior ladies in 2006, and 5th at 4CC that same year. Her first partner, Ryan Arnold competed nationally in singles for a while too (never doing much, but having qualified for the LP on occasion), and her current partner, Eric Radford, competed solely in singles until 2005, and IIRC he was one year the junior national champion in mens.

alij
12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Going back in time Cynthia Coull competed at 85 Worlds in pairs and ladies. At that time, I seem to remember, other canadian skaters also trained/tested all disciplines Lyndon Johnston passed Gold test at Singles, Pairs and Dance.

attyfan
12-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I recall reading somewhere that Maxim Marinnin (sp?) started out as a singles skater, but decided he could never make it (against Plush, Yags, etc.) and switched to pairs.

madm
12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Adding to the list -

Current competitors: Amanda Dobbs, Mary Beth Marley, Lindsay Davis

Past competitors: John Baldwin (OK he might be current but should retire soon!), Nancy Kerrigan, Naomi Nari Nam

Honestly, all pair skaters skated singles before they started doing pairs, it's just a matter of how far they went with their singles skating. Quite a few of the current U.S. senior pair girls were competing in singles just 2 years ago. There seems to be a trend of pair guys looking for strong girl jumpers to convert to pair skaters. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just looks like the singles skaters never quite master the pair elements (e.g. Caydee Denney who has great jumps but horrendous death spirals and lift positions).

skatesindreams
12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
From Wikipedia:

At the same time, Wylie was competing in pair skating with partner Dana Graham. They won the junior pairs title at the 1980 U.S. nationals. They were coached by John Nicks, commuting to work with him in California. They placed eighth in the senior division at the 1981 U.S. nationals, but then dissolved their partnership when they lost financial sponsorship.

Video::

1980 Dana Graham & Paul Wylie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOy8pAR4Dd8

Dick Button singled Paul out for special praise at the Exhibition in Atlanta. (I was there).
He performed magnificently, in both singles and pairs.