PDA

View Full Version : Japanese qualification rules for worlds

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

carriecmu0503
12-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I mean, to me, it's obvious: 3 skaters qualify for the final, those three should go to Worlds. But Mao is an Olympic/World medalist, and even though she bombed the GP, she's probably the most famous female skater in Japan atm, so that could help her chances.

By this logic, then Rachael and Alissa should be the US ladies sent to Worlds....I think Nationals have to factor in there- the likes of Mirai and Ashley should be given the chance to qualify.

justAfsfan
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I also think Japanese Federation will sent Mao, but look at other way around, if they sent Mao when she is not ready Japan might lose their 3 spots at world. May be they will also think about this factor and decide not to sent Mao is she is not ready.

Rob
12-15-2010, 02:27 PM
If I could change one rule in skating, I'd give an automatic bye to the reigning world champion in each discipline, and then let their country send the number of skaters that they qualify for.

Thus, Mao would get a bye to Worlds (as would Takahashi, etc.), and Japan could send another three women.

This is the kind of rule change that hurts pretty much no one, and rewards countries with strong programs, as well as skaters who were excellent enough to win a world championship.

I have been wishing for a while that they would do this.

NMURA
12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I also think Japanese Federation will sent Mao, but look at other way around, if they sent Mao when she is not ready Japan might lose their 3 spots at world. May be they will also think about this factor and decide not to sent Mao is she is not ready.

Japan won't lose 3 spots for ladies. Ando and Murakami can manage that easily. As always, home skaters (#1 and #2) will be held up more or less. I expect Murakami will have the biggest boost. If GPF was held in Japan, Murakami would've won. Murakami has proved that she has good chances to medal even at worlds with fairly good performances (along with Ando and Asada), but Suzuki has practically no chance for a medal. She can never place within 6th in the SP. Ando and Murakami are already lock.

The remaining question is who gets the third spot - Suzuki or Asada. If Asada can reduce two errors from TEB level performances, Suzuki can not make any errors. Asada's main problem is the lack of competitive motivations. I understand her jumping slump is its result, not the cause. In short, what Asada needs now is the will to win. As long as she cares about winning, she will win at Japanese nationals.

Sylvia
12-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Can someone please translate/summarize the JSF's published selection criteria for Four Continents? Link (in Japanese) is:
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2010_Figure/2010-11%20selection%20procedure.pdf

Extranjera
12-15-2010, 05:34 PM
If Mao skates badly at nationals, Japanese federation will have a big problem. I know there are other skaters who deserve spots at worlds more than her, but I'm affraid of this scenario:

Mao fails at nationals and she doesn't go for worlds. She goes for 4CC and she shows that she can skate her programs clean or nearly clear. What's then? Of course if Yuna skates clean programs at worlds no one will doubt she deserve world title, but if she doesn't, then there will be speculations whether she (not necessarily Yuna, we're not sure who will win the world title) deserve it or not, because we would never get to know how Mao would skate at worlds.

On the other hand Mao can be out of shape for whole season. That's not easy decision at all.

miki88
12-15-2010, 05:45 PM
In a recent article, (http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/other/101207/oth1012071945011-n1.htm) JSF president has clearly stated that Mao needs to make the podium in order to get a ticket to Worlds. JSF was asked if they will consider her past accomplishments but they said that this season's results was most important. Mao has also said Nationals will be her "last chance".

Extranjera
12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I know, but there is possibility that judges give her "extra" points for components or GOE to make sure that she will be sent. I won't be surprise if she gets medal with programs a'la Lepisto or Kostner.

miki88
12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
I know, but there is possibility that judges give her "extra" points for components or GOE to make sure that she will be sent. I won't be surprise if she gets medal with programs a'la Lepisto or Kostner.

If Mao actually used Kostner's styled layouts, she'll easily make the team. But knowing Mao, she won't change her layouts so it's really hard to know since the jumps that make up most of her programs are unstable now. Lepisto benefitted from a poorly skated event but Jap nationals tend to be well-skated. Skaters are fighting for spots, so they usually have a lot of motivation. It's really between Mao and Akiko at this point. If Mao skated half-decently, she'll edge out Akiko. But if she skates like she did at GP series and everyone else skates well, then I don't think so. However, Nationals is usually the time of the season when Mao turns things around, so perhaps she'll do it again and make things easy for everyone. :)

Marroncream
12-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Can someone please translate/summarize the JSF's published selection criteria for Four Continents? Link (in Japanese) is:
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2010_Figure/2010-11%20selection%20procedure.pdf

Here's my translation.

Four Continents Championships

The decision is made when the National Championships ends with comprehensive consideration among skaters who meet one of the following criteria.

1. The best 6 of GPS, including GPF in the ranking
2. 6th or higher place at the National Championships
3. The best 6 in World Standings as of the end of the Nationals

The decision may be made with the consideration for getting points of World standings.

The skaters must compete in the Nationals which is the final qualifying meet.

In the case skaters who were in the 6th place or higher at World Championships in the past cannot be applied to the criteria above due to injury or its equivalents, they may be added to the candidates according to their possible condition at the time of the Four Continents Championships.

Roxanne
12-16-2010, 01:43 AM
I love Mao but I hope they don't hold her up so she makes the team. The other 3 girls deserve to go.

Jenna
12-16-2010, 02:10 AM
I really don't think JSF will do Mao any favors at Nationals. If the 4 ladies skate the same way they did on the GP, she won't be on the team

os168
12-16-2010, 02:28 AM
I would love Akiko making the team.

It is time Japan treat her with bit more respect, you'd never thought she is a top lady (currently ranked no2 in the world) with the way the press treat her.

Ultimately it should be about fairness, whoever can deliver the performance on the day to make the team. I'd hate anyone to get shafted because they don't fit a certain 'profile'.

Extranjera
12-16-2010, 08:34 AM
If Mao actually used Kostner's styled layouts, she'll easily make the team. But knowing Mao, she won't change her layouts so it's really hard to know since the jumps that make up most of her programs are unstable now.

didn't she change her layout one year ago? I think she tried to do only one 3A in FS at nationals, unfortunately I'm not sure because I can't find her program from this competition on youtube

Mafke
12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I would love Akiko making the team.
It is time Japan treat her with bit more respect, you'd never thought she is a top lady ...
Ultimately it should be about fairness...

This is the Japanese federation we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if upstaging a pet of the federation makes them dislike the skater all the more. See the story of Nakano, Yukari. My suspicion is that Akiko has stepped into Nakano's old role as low skater on the totem pole (no matter actual results).