PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

Frau Muller
12-16-2010, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=reese;2989321]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM

...QUOTE]

Whoa! That was, without the shadow of a doubt, Rachael's most beautiful look ever. She MUST go back to that hairdo, hair color and make-up. I had almost forgotten how glamorous Rachael looked back then, when I first saw her. :eek:

IceAlisa
12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM

...QUOTE]

Whoa! That was, without the shadow of a doubt, Rachael's most beautiful look ever. She MUST go back to that hairdo, hair color and make-up. I had almost forgotten how glamorous Rachael looked back then, when I first saw her. :eek:

Wow, that wasn't half bad. I like the hair, the make up and even the skating! No cheesy choreo, pretty good interpretation for her.

geod2
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't feel like her physical maturity really messed with her jumps too much, just her presentation ...

I actually loved watching her spins in the link^

....these days I have to turn my eyes away during Rachael's spins, no matter what the rest of her program is like.

I could be wrong, but it seems like she does virtually no off-ice flexibility training.
To me, her spins are where that is most obvious.

___

Seerek
12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
What about off-ice fitness conditioning? I've always wondered about Rachael's stamina in a long program...her beginning speed is ok (not great though), but it really loses steam in the last half, especially with the later jump elements and footwork.

AxelAnnie
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=reese;2989321]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM

...QUOTE]

She did look beautiful.....she also looks much thinner, with longer lines. The hair looks great.

floskate
12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
She did look beautiful.....she also looks much thinner, with longer lines. The hair looks great.

She was 14 years old making her senior debut. She was a child! Of course she looks thinner.

Beefcake
12-16-2010, 08:10 PM
:blah: But yet you seem able to recall - and recount here at FSU - every negative detail, present "and" past, about the young woman.

Interesting thing, this selective recall.

LilJen
12-16-2010, 08:14 PM

This is what I remember, too. She had more maturity and musicality at that time than she appears to have now. Granted, she has had back problems, so I'll forgive her for that--but somehow what she had at an earlier age seems to have been lost. Even her Jr Worlds winning performances had more joy and apparent musicality than her current skating. And that's a shame. Maybe the expectations and pressure have caught up with her?

And yes, she needs to wear slightly longer skirts and dresses that emphasize the vertical over the horizontal.

Frau Muller
12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
:blah: But yet you seem able to recall - and recount here at FSU - every negative detail, present "and" past, about the young woman.

Interesting thing, this selective recall.

It's not selective. It's a fact - Rachael looked and skated fantastic then. It's a shame that she did not continue with that look and style. I give credit where due and Rachael certainly deserved it in '07.

kia_4EverOnIce
12-16-2010, 09:32 PM
wow! I never saw this program, it's beautiful!!!

pinky166
12-17-2010, 12:14 AM
It's not selective. It's a fact - Rachael looked and skated fantastic then. It's a shame that she did not continue with that look and style. I give credit where due and Rachael certainly deserved it in '07.

You can say that about so many skaters though. Puberty is a hard obstacle to overcome in the sport of figure skating and Rachael hadn't hit puberty in that video. You could say the same thing about Caroline Zhang or Kimmie or even Mao, watch them when they were 14 and they'll seem more impressive than they do now. It happens all the time in this sport. I don't think Rachael's musicality actually got worse either, I think she just started picking the wrong kind of music for her over the past few years.

miki88
12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
You can say that about so many skaters though. Puberty is a hard obstacle to overcome in the sport of figure skating and Rachael hadn't hit puberty in that video. You could say the same thing about Caroline Zhang or Kimmie or even Mao, watch them when they were 14 and they'll seem more impressive than they do now. It happens all the time in this sport. I don't think Rachael's musicality actually got worse either, I think she just started picking the wrong kind of music for her over the past few years.

I don't know. Is there any style that really suits Rachel? I think she shares the same problem with Miki. Every time of music serves merely as background for her technical elements. But in Rachel's case, she doesn't even have the jumps Ando has.
Also, I'm not sure if puberty was a big thing for Mao. She had her big growth spurt under Rafael and was survived pretty well. I think the bigger culprit was her lack of a real coaching situation with TAT.

Doubletoe
12-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Terry Gannon mentioned that the last time Rachael was in China, she didn't skate well, either. Maybe, skating in China is just bad luck for her. However, if Alissa can bounce back, I think Rachael can, also.

They said Rachael suffered from terrible jet lag after flying to Beijing, and that she had a hard time with the jet lag in Beijing last year as well. Since I've never seen her be so affected by it in other locations, I have to wonder if it's the combination of the time difference and something else about Beijing. The air quality, possibly? She just looked like she was sick or suffering from asthma, or something that was just making her body drag when she was trying to get through her program. It did not look like just an injury or "lack of training".

Sasha'sSpins
12-17-2010, 07:52 AM
We hear so much about Rachael making improvements, and not seeing them on the ice. I was starting to think she was plateauing. And then I saw her on Improv Ice and she seemed like a completely different skater, genuine and fun and even kind of sexy.

Also, I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzvEfa_MKc

Twelve year old Rachael had greater speed, flow, and artistry than I'm seeing in her programs now, with the exception of her show program this year and her performance at Improv Ice. So it's in there somewhere. I hope she finds a coach and choreographer who can bring out her sleeping artist!

And look at her layback at twelve, it's beautiful.

Wow-I enjoy THIS "Summertime" performance more than her present day one. I can't help but wonder how she would have developed with a coach other than Tom Z.

IceAlisa
12-17-2010, 08:07 AM
I have to say I am shocked how much I enjoyed her performances at 12 and 14. I have not yet witnessed a devolution of style like this in the sport of figure skating. It has little to do with puberty IMO. I don't think I have an explanation for it but at 12 and 14 Rachael had the grace and fluidity that usually comes to more mature skaters. And now it's completely gone. It's the opposite of what you'd expect.

Take her arm movements for instance, fluid and soft in these older videos and where are they now? Puberty does not take away your ability to move arms gracefully or your musicality--you could she was feeling the music. She also seemed to skate more effortlessly and generate more flow as a tween. Jumps did look lighter and better executed but here's one instance where the puberty monster CAN be blamed.

Still I am puzzled. What happened to her? :confused: