PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

victoriaheidi
12-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Not to mention... nothing that happens in the Fall matters when it comes to Nationals and Worlds. People bomb in the GP and do great at Nationals / Worlds and vice versa all the time.

No kidding! Mirai and Rachael didn't make the GPF last year, but they were the Olympic/World team. Ashley made the GPF and still stayed home all spring. Alissa had the same placements as Rachael on the 2009-2010 GPF and placed 10th at Nats. Mao Asada didn't even make the final and won the silver at the Olympics and the gold at Worlds. You guys know these facts, so I can quit reciting them, but you get the point...one competition does not change her otherwise beautifully consistent record.

Squibble
12-15-2010, 06:19 AM
I think Phil should go for it and enroll at Stanford!

The socialization process would do him wonders. And his reasoning and writing might improve too! :)

The Fly On The Wall
12-15-2010, 06:31 AM
I haven't waded through the thread yet, just read the article, but wow, that was cruel. Especially the parting shot. He may or may not be right, but let's kick her when she's down.... :(

neptune
12-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I think Phil should go for it and enroll at Stanford!

Isn't that a bit far-fetched??? I mean, what makes you think they would even accept him? ;)

Rex
12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
This is wrong on so many levels. It's easy to be the opinionated older man on the internet judging girls and telling them what to do with their lives. All of his little complimentary adjectives don't disguise the fact that his words are subordinating and inappropriate.

The same way some other potbellied, chain-smoking, beer-swilling sportswriters who can barely throw a basketball, football or baseball write sometimes snarky comments about athletes in those same sports? Or a film critic who most likely couldn't act their way out of a paper bag, commenting on the performance of an actor or how a director directs a film? Or maybe a restaurant/food critic who'd most likely implode under the pressure-cooker stress of cooking dozens of meals for demanding strangers, finding fault (or waxing poetic) about a broiled sea bass?

In that case, no one should write jackshit about anyone. It's totally fine to disagree with what Hersh is saying, but to say that he doesn't have the right to say it because he doesn't do it, well, I don't think that is rational.

Whether we like a skater or not, it's embarrassing and stupid for armchair fans including so many on this board to suggest what a skater should do with their career choice.

It's their career. It's none of our business. The majorities of 'fans' should just retire from their professional careers if we apply the same standard. Stupid.:lol:
Ok. So from now on, I don't expect to hear you comment on what skaters should be doing based on your opinion....the last word in your statement is TELLING...

Frau Muller
12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
... Mirai and Rachael didn't make the GPF last year, but they were the Olympic/World team. Ashley made the GPF and still stayed home all spring. .....

Just like Mao Asada failed to make the GP Final - not close to it - last year but became the World Champ and the silver medalist at Olympics. I'm not sure why Hersh did not mention Mao...or maybe that's the subject of the next article. [And we all wait to see if Mao can pop back at her Nats, 4Cs and Worlds this season.]

giselle23
12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
I wonder if Phil remembers who came in last in the 2005-06 Grand Prix Final? It was Alissa Czisny. No skater should be written off after one bad outing. And in Alissa's case, there have been multiple bad outings.

Bev Johnston
12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
If it weren't for upcoming Nationals, then I would wish for Rachael to enroll in Stanford for the second semester... it would put distance between her and Tom Z, which would give her an excuse to start working with a new coach, someone who could give her a new look on the ice. I mean, Angela Nikodinov was called a refrigerator break skater, but Elena T changed all of that for her. Not trying to draw a direct comparison between Rachael and Angela, I just mean nothing is impossible if Rachael wants to give herself that opportunity.

Rachael needs to find a coach/choreographer who will help her find her style. My biggest complaint about Rachael's skating is that it seems "disingenuous" to me. It's like she's smiling here and tossing her head there because someone told her to do it, not because it's natural for her. Someone needs to find a way to let the real Rachael express herself on the ice.

Back to the topic, I think she just had a bad skater for whatever reason. It happens. Sometimes skaters have an entire bad season, but are able to bounce back. Good luck to her in figuring it out.

essence_of_soy
12-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Rachael needs to find a coach/choreographer who will help her find her style. My biggest complaint about Rachael's skating is that it seems "disingenuous" to me. It's like she's smiling here and tossing her head there because someone told her to do it, not because it's natural for her. Someone needs to find a way to let the real Rachael express herself on the ice.

I'm recalling Brian Boitano's transforming season in 1988 when he worked with Sandra Bezic. He went from cheese-tastic to an artist in less than 6 months.

Jammers
12-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know why but when Rachael strikes one of her cutesy poses while she skates it just makes me cringe.

PDilemma
12-15-2010, 05:03 PM

^^This.

Nomad
12-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't know why but when Rachael strikes one of her cutesy poses while she skates it just makes me cringe.

I have the same reaction. That kind of choreo just seems all wrong for her.

OliviaPug
12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I think we've already seen Rachael's style. I think what she needs is a departure from her style -- something totally different, dramatic and dark, no cutesy nothing! That, IMHO, would be a huge improvement. (And land the jumps.)

O-

Frau Muller
12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
But hasn't Rachael spent the last year trying to convince all of us that she is "Miss Bubbly"??? [Hasn't she even used those words in backstage interviews: "I'm bubbly!" (giggle-giggle)] It was cute for the SP last year. This year, the fanning and all of the same moves look contrived.

This is the classical gal who skated to Mozart at age 13. Somebody obviously told her that Bubbly Sells.

Yazmeen
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
But hasn't Rachael spent the last year trying to convince all of us that she is "Miss Bubbly"??? [Hasn't she even used those words in backstage interviews: "I'm bubbly!" (giggle-giggle)] It was cute for the SP last year. This year, the fanning and all of the same moves look contrived.

This is the classical gal who skated to Mozart at age 13. Somebody obviously told her that Bubbly Sells.

That's the problem. Rachel is cute, and not pretty, and she is perky, not elegant or glamorous compared to Mirai or Alissa. As a result, she appears to be being told to play up the bubbly, cutesy aspect of her skating, and it frequently comes off looking cartoonish. And if she doesn't hit her jumps ala GPF, the whole program becomes a contrived-looking mess.

Like many here, I would like to see her skate to something more classical. I think she took Dorothy Hamill's advice on how she doesn't look/can't skate like other skaters too much to heart and she is actually turning into a caricature of a li'l Miss Perky blades.