PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

kwanette
12-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I've never been a Kwaniac but I've said it before that I'd rather watch Kwan stroke around the rink than a full program by Flatt.

That's a little unfair to Rachael..I'd rather watch Kwan stroke around the rink than a full program by...well...anybody..:slinkaway

Cheylana
12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I find it hard to believe the USFS would have pressured Rachael to skate in the GPF if she was injured. Evan, Johnny and Tanith & Ben have previously withdrawn from GPFs with injuries, so why would USFS come down hard on Rachael, who was even less of a medal contender to begin with?

I think Rachael's "downfall," so to speak, started after the Olympic FS. She seemed to have had the freeskate of her life, she came off the ice so excited, only to discovered she had dropped, not risen in the standings, due in part to two downgraded flips. And ever since then her flips seem to be routinely downgraded. I think that took the wind out of her sails a bit; after all she has sort of lived and died by the jumps.

There seems to be a pattern of the reigning National ladies champion finishing off the podium the following year... Kimmie, Mirai, Alissa... Rachael might follow suit. :(

If it weren't for upcoming Nationals, then I would wish for Rachael to enroll in Stanford for the second semester... it would put distance between her and Tom Z, which would give her an excuse to start working with a new coach, someone who could give her a new look on the ice. I mean, Angela Nikodinov was called a refrigerator break skater, but Elena T changed all of that for her. Not trying to draw a direct comparison between Rachael and Angela, I just mean nothing is impossible if Rachael wants to give herself that opportunity.

Jammers
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Watching Rachael skate is almost like going to the dentist. Painful.

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 08:13 PM
That's a little unfair to Rachael..I'd rather watch Kwan stroke around the rink than a full program by...well...anybody..:slinkaway

Not me. There are plenty of skaters whose work I enjoy.

kwanette
12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Not me. There are plenty of skaters whose work I enjoy.

I didn't say that I didn't enjoy other skaters.

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I didn't say that I didn't enjoy other skaters.

But you'd rather watch Kwan's stroking around then any of their programs. I find that only Flatt and Leonova fit that description for me.

kwanette
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
But you'd rather watch Kwan's stroking around then any of their programs. I find that only Flatt and Leonova fit that description for me.

Yes.

OliviaPug
12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Rachael has made the decision, for the time being, to devote herself to figure skating. As long as she is of that mindset, I think she should continue on and do what she is capable of doing, which, from past history, is actually quite a lot.

None of us can predict the future, including Hersh. Who, for instance, would have guessed that Alissa would win the GPF this year?

While Rachael isn't my favorite skater, she has proven she can rank among the best at times -- and certainly the best in the U.S. I hope she can finish the season on a high note.

O-

kia_4EverOnIce
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
And, who does her choreography? I don't think her programs do her any favors. Carolina (and I am not a fan) is so gorgeous on the ice, and so expert at edging and speed, and has lovely line, musicality and choreography that when she misses a jump....at least there is much beautiful skating to enjoy. When the jumps allude Rachel (and Miki) there is not much left to enjoy.

actually, they have the same choreographer, Lori Nichol.
I think it's just that they have very different styles, but when Rachel is on, like at SA, she's great to watch IMO.

I don't understand why there's all this drama for a single competition, she's proven to be a great skater, only at GPF she had a bad performance (due to injury or whatever it was); just wait to see her next time and she'll be again on!

Frau Muller
12-14-2010, 11:02 PM
....stroking around ...I find that only Flatt and Leonova fit that description for me.

You forgot - Flatt strokes around, then occasionally "fans" herself and strikes cutesy poses. She's gonna need one heckova big fanning motion to make the Worlds team this season, I'm afraid.

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
You forgot - Flatt strokes around, then occasionally "fans" herself and strikes cutesy poses.

:revenge: Lori Nichol.

MacMadame
12-15-2010, 12:53 AM
I don't understand why there's all this drama for a single competition

Me either. You'd think no one had ever shown up to a competition hampered by injury and performed less than their best before Rachael dared to insult the entire skating world by doing so. :lol:

Not to mention... nothing that happens in the Fall matters when it comes to Nationals and Worlds. People bomb in the GP and do great at Nationals / Worlds and vice versa all the time. Like the last time Alyssa did well in the GP and people were predicting she'd win Olympic Gold and then she didn't even make the team.

neptune
12-15-2010, 01:24 AM
I don't understand why there's all this drama for a single competition...

I think I do: Phil's a drama queen. :drama: I'm not sure he believes half the things he says. It appears that, like Tina Turner, he's thinking:

All I want is a little reaction.
Just enough to tip the scales...

:lol:

LilJen
12-15-2010, 01:34 AM
I don't understand why there's all this drama for a single competition, she's proven to be a great skater, only at GPF she had a bad performance (due to injury or whatever it was); just wait to see her next time and she'll be again on!

Hear hear. I think she'll be FINE.

Aussie Willy
12-15-2010, 01:46 AM
A rather nasty and vitriolic attack on Flatt. She doesn't deserve to treated like that.