PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

giselle23
12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I think Phil is off-base in his comments about Rachael. Rachael may not have the artistry of an Alissa or a Yu Na, but she is a consistent jumper, one of the few aside from Yu Na who has been able to do one of the more difficult triple-triples. She won two silver medals in the Grand Prix this year and was one of only six ladies to qualify for the finals. To compare her to Emily Hughes, who never did a triple-triple and rarely did a long program without a major splat and, to my recollection, never even medaled at an international event, is just insulting. I give Rachael a lot of credit for not withdrawing after her disastrous short program. And if she had, I have no doubt that Phil would have called her a quitter.

kwanette
12-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I think Phil is off-base in his comments about Rachael. Rachael may not have the artistry of an Alissa or a Yu Na, but she is a consistent jumper, one of the few aside from Yu Na who has been able to do one of the more difficult triple-triples. She won two silver medals in the Grand Prix this year and was one of only six ladies to qualify for the finals. To compare her to Emily Hughes, who never did a triple-triple and rarely did a long program without a major splat and, to my recollection, never even medaled at an international event, is just insulting. I give Rachael a lot of credit for not withdrawing after her disastrous short program. And if she had, I have no doubt that Phil would have called her a quitter.

Well said.

Nomad
12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
... To compare her to Emily Hughes, who never did a triple-triple and rarely did a long program without a major splat and, to my recollection, never even medaled at an international event....

Hughes won a bronze at 2005 JW as well as bronze at CoC and silver at 4CC in the 2006-07 season.

essence_of_soy
12-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Funny, when I saw the thread title I thought people were suggestion Mr Harsh make up some credits in remedial writing 101.

stjeaskategym
12-13-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I find it :rofl: when posters trash Phil Hersh when he says almost exactly what was said in the PBP threads. He reads FSU, gets the pulse of the event, and then adds his own twist. He does it all the time and yet people continue to be outraged. I guess he's just an easy target. I will say, if he snarks on a skater, it causes some who also snark on said skater to rush to their defense. Lord knows there's been enough snarks made about Rachael even when she skates her normally consistent programs.

Some of what is said on this board is just for comedic purposes. It doesn't mean Hersh should base serious articles off of that. There is a huge difference between making fun of Rachael on this board and writing a serious article about how she should retire right away because her skating is that bad.

Coco
12-13-2010, 11:21 PM
The thing that troubles me about Flatt's performance at the GPF is that it seems that her season, which wasn't a strong one compared to the last two, has started to snowball in the wrong direction.

I don't doubt that she or Kostner are hurting, but I'm dubious about their injury disclosures. It seems like both are using them as an explanation for lower marks and weaker content, respectively. Rachael's marks have been falling since this summer :(

This year is probably a huge change for her, without having school to take her mind of skating. I feel for her, and I hope that she emerges from this slump with some confidence intact. I really wish she'd be able to enjoy a freshman year in the dorms while she was freshman aged :( At no time this season has she appeared to me to be "on fire" and I wonder if maybe if her first inclination was to go to college, but others persuaded her to stay at home.

RobinA
12-14-2010, 02:44 AM
I've never been the most ardent supporter of Ms Flatt, to put it very very mildly. But this piece is downright ridiculous. It's Phil Hersh that "went past rock bottom and could have buried himself for good".

Ya got that right. Is there any figure skating star throughout history, no matter how great, who hasn't stunk up the place at least once. I remember a certain lady in Nashville...

Marco
12-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Is there any figure skating star throughout history, no matter how great, who hasn't stunk up the place at least once. I remember a certain lady in Nashville...

What kind of twisted logic is required to compare Flatt to that lady? :wall:

That lady had so much more to offer besides her jumps. What else does Flatt have? Her landed jumps aren't even good.

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 03:44 AM
I've never been a Kwaniac but I've said it before that I'd rather watch Kwan stroke around the rink than a full program by Flatt.

Frau Muller
12-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I think Phil is off-base in his comments about Rachael. .... To compare her to Emily Hughes, ... is just insulting. .....

Phil Hersh was most likely comparing the skating-vs-college choices of both skaters. However, he probably was also thinking about their aesthetics and body types (and how the roundness affects the skating).

Allen
12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
The thing that made me think Rachael was getting dumped was the PCS scores down in the 5s. I'm sure she'll come back and skate better, but those PCS scores make me think that the international judges really prefer Alissa, Mirai, and Ashley.

Nomad
12-14-2010, 04:53 PM
^ The judges at CoR certainly liked Ashley. Had she skated clean, her score would have been over 170.

Dragonlady
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Jeez, I hope Hersch doesn't hurt himself jumping on and off all these bandwagons. Over the years he's dumped Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Evan Lysachek, and now Rachael Flatt, so Rachael's in good company.

Given the pap he's been spewing for a while now, does anyone still take anything the guy says seriously?

Nomad
12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't. And I'm sure if Flatt does well at Nats he'll be praising her consistency and writing off her GPF meltdown as a fluke.

AxelAnnie
12-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I've never been a Kwaniac but I've said it before that I'd rather watch Kwan stroke around the rink than a full program by Flatt.

Ditto!