PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Meredith
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Look at Takahashi, after he collided with Kozuka, his doctors advised him to not skate. But he continued and wasn't good enough to medal. Did he complain that his injury from the collision was to blame? no.

If you show up to compete, don't use injury as a shield to deflect criticism.

No, Takahashi blamed himself. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9K28P0O0&show_article=1

Polymer Bob
12-13-2010, 12:09 AM
At least Uncle Phil has learned one lesson. He waits until the event is over. Remember he trashed Caroline after her 10th place short at the 2009 Junior Worlds? She won the free and rose 8 places to claim the silver. That was the fastest back-pedal on record. :lol:

Carolla5501
12-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I actually agree with Mr. Hersh. If she wasn't ready she should NOT have gone. The cost may be far higher then she realizes. We have seen it with other stakers. More "review" because of their jumps etc... Repuation is vital and she burned a lot of her's with this skate. :( Alissa on the other hand enhanced hers....

(Maybe the Flatt camp really believes that line of "you know what" Weir was spewing Monday night? LOL!)

bek
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't think Rachael did herself any favors by showing up this unprepared, and If I'm the USFSA I'm more than prepared to send someone other than Rachael to worlds this year, if they skate well. I'd be thinking of Nagasu/Czisny.

BUT.. the fact of the matter is one poor skate coming off an injury, doesn't undue the fact that Rachael HAS on record been the most consistent US lady, and she was pretty consistent this year at the GP. In shape, she's still more reliable than the other US girls, and so if the USFSA is thinking about earning 3 spots for next year, they can't be wanting to hear Phil tell Rachael not to even show up for Nationals.

newbatgirl
12-13-2010, 12:18 AM
I actually agree with Mr. Hersh. If she wasn't ready she should NOT have gone. The cost may be far higher then she realizes. We have seen it with other stakers. More "review" because of their jumps etc... Repuation is vital and she burned a lot of her's with this skate. :( Alissa on the other hand enhanced hers....

(Maybe the Flatt camp really believes that line of "you know what" Weir was spewing Monday night? LOL!)

If she felt ready before, do you really think someone could haven convinced her otherwise? Sometimes you really just don't know until you step out on the ice.

And since it's Rachael and she has more than her share of haters, if she had pulled out, she would have been crucified on this and other boards just as much.

essence_of_soy
12-13-2010, 12:23 AM
My biggest sadness is not that Rachel was injured, turned up and performed poorly. It is that her team should have been aware that she needed to rest, allowed her to compete, instead of healing properly.

reese
12-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I think this is more than just the first meltdown of her career. It would be one thing if she were having a killer season or was showing improvement, but that's not what's going on. She was lucky, let's face it, to qualify for the GPF. She basically did it by default. She's been totally dumped by the judges, who did everything they could to keep her from winning NHK and Skate America. She has two of the worst programs of her career this season. Regression is putting it nicely. I know this question has been asked before, but why defer Stanford for a year (the unimportant post-Olympic year) just to stay in the exact same situation? Still living at home, still working with the same coach and choreographer. It would be different if this were the Olympic year and she deferred, but she clearly does intend to begin at Stanford next fall, so what was the point of this gap year?

When I was watching her bomb this weekend it reminded me a lot of Kimmie Meissner at the GPF in '07, when she finished last with a disaster free skate. That was the beginning of the end for her and I got that exact same feeling watching Rachael. She's not improving. She's not a little jumping bean anymore; her body is failing her.

Hersh is a jerk, yes, and he is always quick to hit skaters (hard) when they are down, but I think the gist of his argument is valid.

stjeaskategym
12-13-2010, 12:43 AM
It's ALWAYS the same nonsense from Hersh. He is overly rude to countless high level skaters who have bad competitions. I wouldn't bother clicking on his articles anymore. He probably wrote an a story about how awful Czisny was when she finished 6th at the GPF in '05. I wish his boss would tell him to retire after he writes a bad article. He doesn't seem to watch skating competitions closely enough to be able to report on the actual skating, so he has to create his own drama instead. Silly.

Nobody except Rachael's camp knows how badly the injury affected her training time or her performance at this competition. It's not up to us to judge whether or not she should have competed. I'm sure she tried her best to fight through the injury problem, and that's really all that matters. Everyone's going to have bad competitions, and as Rachael has said, just getting to the Final is a huge accomplishment. I hope Rachael skates as long as she wants without dramaqueens like this guy getting under her skin.

kwanette
12-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Maybe Rachael listened to Johnny's advice and skated "no matter what"..Maybe Rachael forgot that she had shingles, maybe a huge Ct spider bit her....Maybe she had mono, or had her wisdom teeth out...so many wonderful excuses over the yrs...Or the mobile injury of 2002..

attyfan
12-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Terry Gannon mentioned that the last time Rachael was in China, she didn't skate well, either. Maybe, skating in China is just bad luck for her. However, if Alissa can bounce back, I think Rachael can, also.

pinky166
12-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Should-a, would-a, could-a. You could apply these "what-if" type of situations to almost every event..

IF Mirai hit her layback at TEB, she would've won.

IF Akiko hit her second 3Lz at COR, she would've won.

IF Oda didn't Zayak at SA, he would've won.

The bottom line is, that Miki did bomb her SP, and Akiko and Carolina did pop jumps. It wasn't like these skaters all went out there and bombed. This was, by far, the strongest ladies FS of the season. Alissa took advantage of others' slight errors and was able to win.

And by the way, how is this not a "big deal" for her? Last year she was in tears after finishing 10th at US Nationals. 11 months later, she is on top of the podium at the GPF, her first ISU Championship medal, and a gold at that. This definitely is a BIG deal for her confidence and more importantly, for her career. Let's not undermine her achievements.

It's not like Alissa skated well at nationals and came in 10th though, she bombed both programs and Zayaked in the LP, had she skated up to her potential, she could have won the event.

smarts1
12-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Doesn't he read FSU? Then why the hell does he write crap like this? OMG we should all send letters to the Chicago Tribune and tell them to fire him and hire someone else because obviously he knows zip about figure skating.

BittyBug
12-13-2010, 02:48 AM
I have to laugh at all the indignation at one column. Sports columnists are notoriously brutal when athletes don't perform - it's the nature of the beast. Don't like his style? Put him on "Ignore." ;)

Marco
12-13-2010, 03:33 AM
What an embarrassing outing. How the rock has fallen (and sunken fast!). And without the consistency, she really has nothing left to show for herself.

On one hand, if she was so injured this time that her training, preparation and condition were affected, she really should have stayed home to rest instead, to allow the injury to fully heal and avoid further aggravating it, and let the first alternate compete.

On the other, I understand Tom Z can be quite the harsh coach and proably forced her to compete despite the injury. My heart goes out to her. This outing does her much disservice by destroying her "rock" image, both as a competitor and a world team member.

Phil might have used some harsh words but a lot of what he said isn't necessarily untrue/ illogical.

overedge
12-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Sports columnists are notoriously brutal when athletes don't perform - it's the nature of the beast. Don't like his style? Put him on "Ignore." ;)

It might be the "nature of the beast", but that doesn't mean it's fair, or right, or good reporting or commentary. IMHO just because some sports columnists are brutal doesn't mean that's how all of them have to be.