PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Mayra
12-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Meh, as rfisher pointed out this article isn't anything we haven't seen posted here throughout the season. While I disagree with the call for retirement, I do have to somewhat agree with this point:

Yes, Flatt's season has been compromised by a leg injury that has cost her training time and made jumping painful.

But if you show up for a competition, you are expected to perform. If the injury remained a significant problem, she should have withdrawn. The Grand Prix Final may be a significant event, and this was the first time Flatt had qualified for it, but it wasn't worth putting the rest of the season at risk to show up at Beijing in such poor form.

I don't think she put the rest of her season at risk, but I do think it was somewhat insulting to show up at one of the biggest competitions of the season as unprepared as she was. Sorry but nobody wants to see a skaters plod their way through their programs like she did. This is a sport and if you show up to a competition and skate like she did, then it isn't surprising when people call you out on it. Hersh is harsh enough without giving him more ammunition.

JMO

Debbie S
12-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Phil, you may not be able to see my middle finger right now, but trust me it is pointed at you.:respec:

I love this:

Yes, Flatt's season has been compromised by a leg injury that has cost her training time and made jumping painful. But if you show up for a competition, you are expected to perform. If the injury remained a significant problem, she should have withdrawn. Phil, I'm sure Rachael is very sorry she ruined your enjoyment of the GPF by not performing to your expectations. :rolleyes:

Obviously Phil never had tendonitis. I have no idea if Rachael was still feeling pain, but it does tend to flare up even after it has supposedly gone away.

Was Mirai the first alternate to the GPF? Hmmm, perhaps she's Phil's new favorite (after he bashed her 2 seasons ago for finishing 5th the year after winning Nats) - he's such a transparent twat.

Mayra
12-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Was Mirai the first alternate to the GPF? Hmmm, perhaps she's Phil's new favorite (after he bashed her 2 seasons ago for finishing 5th the year after winning Nats) - he's such a transparent twat.

No, Kiira Korpi was first alternate.

Debbie S
12-12-2010, 09:56 PM
No, Kiira Korpi was first alternate.Ah, OK, thanks.

leigh466
12-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, well, if the judges read FSU, it is no surprise that Rachel has been dumped due to all the douches on here.

overedge
12-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Hersh is such a hypocrite. How many times has he written Czisny off in the past 6 years?

As recently as this past January:

Czisny's record is so spotty many feel she has to win a second straight national title this week to make her first Olympics, because the selection criteria allow her inconsistent past to be the reason not to pick her. She was an utter flop in both world championships, 15th in 2007 and 11th last year.

Yukari Lepisto
12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Only problem I have with Flatt is that she offered her injury excuse after her dismal performances.
If her injury was so serious and caused lack of preparation, then she did a disservice to herself and to the fans by showing up woefully unprepared and laying a two stink bombs to the figure skating community.

She should have just said I didn't perform well and take responsibility.

dundas
12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't think she put the rest of her season at risk, but I do think it was somewhat insulting to show up at one of the biggest competitions of the season as unprepared as she was.
JMO

It's crazy and stupid to suggest that Rachael performed badly on purpose. As an athlete, you always want to compete even if you don't 'feel' good.

Kostner and ALissan shouldn't have attended any international competition if we applied your standard. How many times we've seen them showing up and 'appearing' actually 'prepared'?

Theatregirl1122
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Only problem I have with Flatt is that she offered her injury excuse after her dismal performances.
If her injury was so serious and caused lack of preparation, then she did a disservice to herself and to the fans by showing up woefully unprepared and laying a two stink bombs to the figure skating community.

She should have just said I didn't perform well and take responsibility.

Her injury was well documented before the poor performance. She was asked about it. She answered. What was she supposed to do, lie?

chipso1
12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
This is Rachael's first meltdown in...ever? I think, considering the extent of her injury and lost training time, we can give her a break. Let's see how she looks at Nationals with much more preparation and time to regroup.

Marlowe
12-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Phil fancies himself to be a high school guidance counselor. Bah!

Yukari Lepisto
12-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Her injury was well documented before the poor performance. She was asked about it. She answered. What was she supposed to do, lie?

She should have said I'm not going to make any excuses. I didn't perform well.

Look at Kostner, she is injured and she had to adjust her program down to compensate.
You don't hear her complain that if it wasn't for her injury, she would have won.

Look at Takahashi, after he collided with Kozuka, his doctors advised him to not skate. But he continued and wasn't good enough to medal. Did he complain that his injury from the collision was to blame? no.

If you show up to compete, don't use injury as a shield to deflect criticism.

newbatgirl
12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
What a douche.

We should just have a permanent thread with this as the title. Think of the time we'd save. No need for additional posts or threads.

Mayra
12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
It's crazy and stupid to suggest that Rachael performed badly on purpose. As an athlete, you always want to compete even if you don't 'feel' good.

Kostner and ALissan shouldn't have attended any international competition if we applied your standard. How many times we've seen them showing up and 'appearing' actually 'prepared'?

I don't know where you got the above, nobody suggested Rachael performed badly on purpose. It was very obvious she was injured and/or recovering from injury.

Sorry but IMO there is a difference between being a headcase and/or an inconsistent skater and looking undertrained/underprepared.

As a skating fan it was hard to watch a usually consistent skater barely able to get a triple around. It really isn't that crazy or stupid to think that she might have been better off staying home, resting and getting ready for Nationals. I would say the same for any other skater not just Flatt, although I do realize this was Rachael's first time qualifying for the GPF and she probably saw this as too good an opportunity to miss.

JMO

mgobluegirl
12-12-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't think Hersh was very tactful (or that he knows how to be), but I agree with this statement:

Stanford is an amazing place (I know that first-hand because my son is a 2010 graduate), and Flatt would do herself a disservice not to enjoy every aspect of her years there rather than chasing around to off-campus rinks for training.

If Rachael chooses to do so, she would have nothing to regret with ending her competitive career after this season and going to school. But, IMO, it has to be HER choice, not Hersh's or anyone else's.