PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15

Jammers
02-01-2011, 12:58 AM
True but i'm still not sure people saw her as a potential medalist in Nagano or even would make the US team.

Susan M
02-01-2011, 01:45 AM
True but i'm still not sure people saw her as a potential medalist in Nagano or even would make the US team.
People who were paying attention to such things surely did. She had been seen as a great hope since she won the US Olympic Festival in 94 (juniors) and second in jr at nationals the next year. The US media was pretty enamored of her.

Polymer Bob
02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I was talking more about how the media was talking about her. Listening to NBC in 2008 they were acting like she was the favorite at Nationals.

Caroline was the top U.S. lady at the 2007 senior Grand Prix. That made her the favorite in some people's opinion. Of course, Kimmie was national champ and a former world champ. Caroline's short wasn't great, and there was some sketchy judging as well. When she blew the roof off in her long, it just wasn't enough.

Frau Muller
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I was talking more about how the media was talking about her. Listening to NBC in 2008 they were acting like she was the favorite at Nationals.

Spot on, Jammers! That's what so turned me against Caroline...simply listening to the gushing by Scott and Sandra during '08 Natl's, as if others did not exist..."pwetty pwincess" and so on...and the camera constantly on Caroline backstage. I'm one of those persons who hates to see contrivance and manipulation at the expense of others. Hence, I was SO HAPPY when the NBC's "Big Zhang Master Plan" flopped during the '08 Natls. Just as I was thrilled when NBC's equally-contrived "Cohen in 2010 Master Plan" flopped.

Let nature take its course. The best will rise. Save the money spent on producing expensive 'fluff pieces.' No manipulation necessary, thank you.

leafygreens
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Let's not forget that a few years back people thought Kimmie and Caroline were near locks for the 2010 Olympic team....funny how that worked out.

Who thought that? People who don't know about skating and wanted to pull another Kwan out of thin air? Kimmie hadn't even hit puberty for her '06 title. I knew it would be all downhill from there, and it was. As for Caroline, I remember she and Mirai were neck-and-neck for a while, but then Caroline had her growth spurt as well. For all the talk about Mirai knowing and believing she's the best in the world, she doesn't walk the walk.

Iceman
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
What's it like for someone with bulging disks (Rachael) to travel from the United States to China (or some similar distance)? I have an insignificant back problem and I know when I travel for long periods, even in a car, my back begins to hurt to the point I have to take something for the pain.

Frau Muller
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Who thought that? People who don't know about skating and wanted to pull another Kwan out of thin air? .....

Knowledgeable fans of skating, like ourselves, did not. Even the NBC commentators, deep down in their hearts, probably did not. BUT the 'marketing men' from NBC Olympics, USFS, SOI, etc. have certainly tried to MANIPULATE matters, usually ending up with egg on their face, e.g., Pweetty Pwincess, "Sasha for the 2010 Olympics" blitz, etc.

Jammers
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Who thought that? People who don't know about skating and wanted to pull another Kwan out of thin air? Kimmie hadn't even hit puberty for her '06 title. I knew it would be all downhill from there, and it was. As for Caroline, I remember she and Mirai were neck-and-neck for a while, but then Caroline had her growth spurt as well. For all the talk about Mirai knowing and believing she's the best in the world, she doesn't walk the walk.

Yeah i know every so ofter Mirai will say she's the best skater the US has but other times she'll act like she doesn't think she's any good. I don't think she believes it when she says how good she is. She's very complicated.

Kasey
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
She's very complicated.

Or, geeze, maybe a teenage girl. :rolleyes:

Cheylana
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah i know every so ofter Mirai will say she's the best skater the US has
When did she say this?

Skittl1321
02-01-2011, 06:53 PM
When did she say this?

Her fluff for NBC she said she was the best skater the US has, and that's why we should support her...

It was very clearly a "I'm supposed to say something of this nature", not necessarily that she thinks she's the second coming of Yuna Kim.

Cheylana
02-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Her fluff for NBC she said she was the best skater the US has, and that's why we should support her...

It was very clearly a "I'm supposed to say something of this nature", not necessarily that she thinks she's the second coming of Yuna Kim.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I haven't looked at the broadcast yet, since I wound up seeing it live.

Civic
02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
...She is capable of stretching, of looking elegant, of interpreting the music naturally and of flowing over the ice, it turns out. She needs to fire everyone around her, start new and healthy off ice conditioning and eating habits that would allow her to partially recover the long look she had (this doesn't mean starving or losing curves, just leaner and meaner look), hire someone who can coach her back to the Rachael she was just a few years ago in terms of interpretation and style. And hire a ballet teacher for goodness sake! Lose Lori Nichol too.

Correction: She WAS capable of stretching and flowing over the ice. Her back injuries may make it impossible for her to regain the extension and flow she had as a 14 year old. As for her achieving a leaner look...that also may be impossible for her to do while maintaining a healthy body weight. Some adult women just aren't meant to have slender thighs no matter how much they diet and exercise. It's just not in the cards for them genetically speaking.

skatingfan5
02-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Who thought that? People who don't know about skating and wanted to pull another Kwan out of thin air? Kimmie hadn't even hit puberty for her '06 title. I knew it would be all downhill from there, and it was. Well, she did manage to win Nationals the following year -- so I suppose you might consider that a brief pause in her downhill slide. :shuffle:

Cheylana
02-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Who thought that? People who don't know about skating and wanted to pull another Kwan out of thin air? Kimmie hadn't even hit puberty for her '06 title. I knew it would be all downhill from there, and it was.

Well, she did manage to win Nationals the following year -- so I suppose you might consider that a brief pause in her downhill slide. :shuffle:

Plus 2007 4CCs and 2007 Skate America.