PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Frau Muller
01-30-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm still with Phil. Despite a fantasic, passionate new SP, Rachael did not deliver a top-10 Worlds performance last night at Nationals. She won the silver by the grace of PCS and by having luck in that others behind her faltered.

Coco
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Have they announced 4cc and worlds teams yet?

Jammers
01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Announced via twitter:

Worlds:
Ladies: Czisny, Flatt (alt. Nagasu, Zawadzki, Gao)
Pairs: Yankowskas & Coughlin, Evora & Ladwig (alt Denney/Barrett, Marley/Brubaker, Casteli/Shnapir )
Dance: Davis & White, Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein. (alt. Hubbell/Hubell, Lynn/Logan, Cannuscio/Lorello)

4CC:
Ladies: Czisny, Flatt, Nagasu (alt. Wagner, Zawadzki, Gao)
Pairs: Yankowskas & Coughlin, Evora & Ladwig, Denney & Barrett (alt. Vise/Baldwin, Marley/Brubaker, Casteli/Shnapir)
Dance: Davis & White, Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein. (alt. Hubbell/Hubell, Lynn/Logan, Cannuscio/Lorello)

Junior Worlds:
Ladies: Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks (alts. Lam, Gong & Siraj)
Dance: Bonacorsi/Mager, Cannuscio/McManus, Lichtman/Copely (alts Yang/Baker, Olson/Cowan)
Pairs: not announced yetHere you go.

overedge
01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes Phil like me will enjoy seeing Rachael skate clean at Worlds and still end up in 10th place.

Is this kind of nasty comment really necessary?

ks1227
01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Yes Phil like me will enjoy seeing Rachael skate clean at Worlds and still end up in 10th place.
Maybe. Maybe not. Which 9 women are you confident will place above her?

MrSatterwhite
01-31-2011, 12:45 AM
I'd like Czisny and Flatt declined 4CC so Nagasu, Wagner and Zawadzki could go. Czisny doesn't need another competition before Worlds and Flatt could rework her LP and fine-tune her new SP.

chipso1
01-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Phil H. is spot-on, as usual.

You were saying? :D

pinky166
01-31-2011, 01:15 AM
I'd like Czisny and Flatt declined 4CC so Nagasu, Wagner and Zawadzki could go. Czisny doesn't need another competition before Worlds and Flatt could rework her LP and fine-tune her new SP.

Isn't Wagner the 3rd alternate though? I'm pretty sure if two pulled out, Zawadzki and Gao would be the replacements.

MrSatterwhite
01-31-2011, 01:21 AM
Isn't Wagner the 3rd alternate though? I'm pretty sure if two pulled out, Zawadzki and Gao would be the replacements.

Wagner is the first alternate, Gao the 3th. See here (http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=45605&type=media).

pinky166
01-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Wagner is the first alternate, Gao the 3th. See here (http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=45605&type=media).

Oh ok. I guess they did it that way b/c they want Agnes and Christina at JW. I think the JW team is very strong this year but it will certainly be a deep field.

Yukari Lepisto
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
No mea culpa from Phil

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/01/2014-olympics-czisny-flatt-nagasu-who-makes-it.html

Flatt's career arc has been essentially downward since she won the 2010 U.S. title. Judges hammered her presentation at last year's Olympics and worlds, and her last-place performance at last month's Grand Prix Final was statistically the worst in the seven years that event has been scored with the Code of Points.

She skated respectably here, especially in the short program, but Flatt was smart enough not to get excited over a long program good enough to put her on the world team only because a nervous, uninspired Nagasu botched two easy elements at the end of her program.

The air went out of Flatt's free skate after she got a negative grade on the jump combination that opened the program and doubled the next jump, a planned triple lutz.

geod2
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM

ITA.
4CC is a case of "everything to lose and nothing to gain"....what a risky and meaningless adventure for both of them.
Just a chance to lose momentum, interupt training time, and possibly raise doubts.
I wish Worlds was 2 weeks from now....

-

leafygreens
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM

ITA and this time Alissa can't be blamed for the lack of 3 spots.

Marco
01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't think Hersh under-estimated Flatt. I think he under-estimated Flatt's political power in Tom Z and he over-estimated Nagasu, Zawadzki and Gao.

query5
01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
i agree with HErsh,
the "older ladies", mirai,rachel, alissa, has to fight .-so far hasn't stood out at least all 4 years on senior circuit on a continous basis. Each hasn't done what they was supposed to do with the exception of Czisny since most people wrote her off after 2006.
she believed in herself, and she was kept up there by SC in the gp assignments.
if fact this year out the 3 medalist she was the one that wasn't supposed to make it into the final let alone win. it was supposed to be mirai (winning gp china, winning TEB)
rachel got into final 3 years after she jumped senior circuit . she got in received lowest score out of all in deference to her injury(however i can point out one other skaters injury and wasn't held up). So will they make it. they might.
Courtney impressed me in the short with her quick turns and fully rotated jumps in the short, Agnes and Christina decent skates overall. it just seems to me who will fight for it more in 3 years and can deal with the pressure .
so lets just wait and see what happens. in other worlds i wouldn't be surprised if it totally different 3 skaters, 2 skaters depending on what happens.
keeping 3 skaters with the young russian ladies hotshots will be hard, with japan hot shots also.
if the us ladies wants to make noise. they are just going have to go for it at all times and in every event. (stand upright)