PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

FunnyBut
12-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the character driven programs are what work best for Rachael? I thought last year's SP was the best thing she's ever done. This years programs aren't quite as good, but still I think they'll look fine if she can get back to her old form and get some miles under the programs. She's done some lyrical programs in the past and I thought the were quite ZZzzz. She doesn't have the natural line, fluidity and understated grace of Janet Lynn /Michelle Kwan/ Lu Chen, it's a bad fit. She asked for character drive programs and that's what Lori gave her, so I wouldn't blame Lori, either. I still think she made the right decision and has had a decent season, one really bad competition doesn't change that.

As for Hersch, sportscasters are notoriously fair weathered friends. You'd expect some more gentility sports like figure skating and golf (it's just tradition), but he knows being blunt gets some attention. I think Rachael will be fine. When a person succeeds because of sheer hard work (as opposed to natural talent) as she has, they are truely tough inside. She's weathered so much criticism for not being the skater everyone expects of the US champion, she's a gritty competitor and a hard worker, I don't think anything a mere pundit can say will really faze her. I do think she'll have a tough time making the World team with Czisny's resurgence and Mirai's sheer talent out of her reach...not sure what she can do about that except try her best and see where the cards fall.

reese
12-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the character driven programs are what work best for Rachael? I thought last year's SP was the best thing she's ever done. This years programs aren't quite as good, but still I think they'll look fine if she can get back to her old form and get some miles under the programs. She's done some lyrical programs in the past and I thought the were quite ZZzzz. She doesn't have the natural line, fluidity and understated grace of Janet Lynn /Michelle Kwan/ Lu Chen, it's a bad fit. She asked for character drive programs and that's what Lori gave her, so I wouldn't blame Lori, either. I still think she made the right decision and has had a decent season, one really bad competition doesn't change that.

Wouldn't you consider her programs this year character-driven? I don't know exactly what that character is, but she's attempting a cute, sassy, Betty Boop type thing, and it's just a mess. The choreography, especially in the Slaughter on Tenth Avenue program, is so gesture heavy that it's hard not to laugh, and then she makes it that much worse with her over-the-top facial expressions. I feel like I'm watching the novice ladies event at Nationals. I think her two programs this season are her worst ever, honestly.

Remember 2 years ago when she had her Debussy LP? I know she ultimately ditched it before Worlds, but I still liked that look for her, at least compared to whatever the hell she's trying to do now. I thought the biggest problem with that program was the music editing. It just built to absolutely nothing. In fact, with the exception of her Sing, Sing, Sing SP last year, Rachael has some of the worst music editing in the biz, and that's really saying something! The edit for her LP last year was one of the worst cuts of any piece I've ever heard used by an elite skater.

kwanette
12-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I think Rachael will be fine. When a person succeeds because of sheer hard work (as opposed to natural talent) as she has, they are truely tough inside. She's weathered so much criticism for not being the skater everyone expects of the US champion, she's a gritty competitor and a hard worker, I don't think anything a mere pundit can say will really faze her. I do think she'll have a tough time making the World team with Czisny's resurgence and Mirai's sheer talent out of her reach...not sure what she can do about that except try her best and see where the cards fall.

Reading the first few lines..one would think that you were writing about Evan Lysacek...so I'm not writing Rachael off yet..

geod2
12-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Flatt suffers from several bulging discs in her lower back that occurred back in 2006 according to the interview she did with SKATING magazine . She said in her interview that she has worked to improve the strength in her back to protect the discs, which are still bulging. I suspect surgery will be the only way to correct the injury.

"Beneath the pink designer dress, hidden by the blinding sequins, obscured by the sparkling smile, are two bulging discs in Rachael Flatt’s lower back.
She doesn’t talk about it much, and it doesn’t keep her from a rigorous practice and competition schedule.
back....

....There are four levels of layback spins, and Flatt performs just a level 2 because it puts the least amount of stress on her discs. But its base value is a mere 1.90 points, and she routinely receives one or two points less than her top competitors."

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-national/rachael-flatt-skates-for-gold-with-two-bulging-discs-and-dorothy-hamill-her-corner

No mention of her cracked vertebrae injury in this^ . A strange oversight by the writer considering its relevance to the article.

Having personally been down the bulging disc road, this is typically not something to fool around with or take unnecessary risks...
...at least that's what my doctors (ususally at least 2-3 doctors involved each time) told me.

And yes strengthening can help. But a chronic bulging disc injury, even when "managed", can turn disasterous at a time when you might not expect it,
...like a bad fall or collision with another skater in Rachael's case.

Well, Rachael is an adult who can make her own risk/reward decisions with her family, coach, and doctors.
But, to me this is playing with fire.

_

FunnyBut
12-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Wouldn't you consider her programs this year character-driven? I don't know exactly what that character is, but she's attempting a cute, sassy, Betty Boop type thing, and it's just a mess.
Remember 2 years ago when she had her Debussy LP?
I know she ultimately ditched it before Worlds, but I still liked that look for her, at least compared to whatever the hell she's trying to do now..

:lol:We'll just have to agree to disagree! Yes, this year's programs are character driven, and I rather like them! That Debussy program, on the other hand, was only competition for Ambien as a sleep aid. ZZZzzz

giselle23
12-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Two words for what Rachael needs (to start with): white boots!

kwanette
12-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Two words for what Rachael needs (to start with): white boots!

Burn boot covers!

Show us your laces!!

Yukari Lepisto
01-30-2011, 08:22 AM
So how will Phil Hersh spin the nationals result to fit his agenda? :lol:

Of course what he meant all along was that Rachael should stick around and persevere amidst new short program and nagging injuries to medal and make the worlds team.

Emperor Philpatine has already forseen this....Rachael, it is your destiny. ;)

Squibble
01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
I think Phil should eat some of this (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1752,152180-242206,00.html). ;)

DickButtonFan
01-30-2011, 01:31 PM
He was wrong about Joubert too :lol:

orbitz
01-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Phil wasn't the only person that was "wrong" about Joubert and Rachael.

Yazmeen
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I think Phil should eat some of this (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1752,152180-242206,00.html). ;)

Followed by some humble pie a la mode... :lol:

Seriously, I'm not a big Rachael fan, but I truly enjoy knowing she smacked Phil upside the head with her Nationals performances and assignment to the World's team.

CynicElle
01-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Oooh, I'd forgotten about this. HAHA, Hersh!

giselle23
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Hersh likes to make bold predictions based on nothing more than a guess and then claim credit for being right if things turn out as he predicted. An example is when he predicted that Michelle would not compete in Nationals in 2006. But when things turn out differently, silence...

Jammers
01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes Phil like me will enjoy seeing Rachael skate clean at Worlds and still end up in 10th place.