PDA

View Full Version : Are V&M out for the season????

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

alilou
01-12-2011, 06:31 PM
I think V&M really want to compete if they possibly can do so at a decent level. They know they don't have to be at the top of their game to win Nationals, but it's a good chance to get their programs out there. I think they will compete if they feel they can, even if they don't make the final decision about it until a couple of days before. I think they're actually aiming to compete but are leaving lots of room to go with what feels the most appropriate/sensible decision (health wise) at the time. I think they're trying to be ready, and will compete if they are.

The Accordion
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I think V&M really want to compete if they possibly can do so at a decent level. They know they don't have to be at the top of their game to win Nationals, but it's a good chance to get their programs out there. I think they will compete if they feel they can, even if they don't make the final decision about it until a couple of days before. I think they're actually aiming to compete but are leaving lots of room to go with what feels the most appropriate/sensible decision (health wise) at the time. I think they're trying to be ready, and will compete if they are.

Oh I hope so!!!!

nicecardshark
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I tend to agree with those who feel that V&M probably won't compete at Canadians but are holding off on an announcement (or at least Skate Canada is) in order to get more people to attend. I'm hoping they will attend 4CC's and/or Worlds but will understand if they skip the entire season to regroup for next year.

The notion that V/M and/or Skate Canada might be deliberately withholding the fact that V/M have no intention of competing next week just to sell more arena tickets I find reprehensible.

One would think that one week before Nationals V/M know whether or not they are going to compete. But that may not be the case.

We went through this with Sasha and the fall 2009 competitions. Would she compete? Wouldn't she? IIRC she pulled out of two assignments within about a week's time of competition. Not very respectful of her adoring public, IMO.

bbkenn
01-14-2011, 02:22 AM
I tend to agree with those who feel that V&M probably won't compete at Canadians but are holding off on an announcement (or at least Skate Canada is) in order to get more people to attend. I'm hoping they will attend 4CC's and/or Worlds but will understand if they skip the entire season to regroup for next year.

I don't agree with this. I think they are waiting to see if they feel comfortable to compete; if they do, they will. This has little to do with tickets, and everything to do with Skate Canada's willingness to let them make the decision when they know how they feel, a respect given them due to their Gold medal Olympic and World performances in 2010.

alilou
01-14-2011, 02:53 AM
^^^^ ITA

Pratfall
01-14-2011, 05:59 AM
:) I think our National championships are usually pretty well attended , so I believe if they're saying it's undecided , it's undecided.

clarie
01-14-2011, 11:31 AM
:) I think our National championships are usually pretty well attended , so I believe if they're saying it's undecided , it's undecided.

ITA..........it's unfair for people to put them in a negative light by assuming a negative action.

Judy
01-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I honestly don't understand why they're coming at all this season .. why not wait until next season when they are fully trained.

peibeck
01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
The only reason I can see them wanting to do Canadian nationals is just to get more feedback on the programs before 4CC and Worlds.

The best news is that Tessa seems to be skating without pain.

kalamalka
01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Mike Slipchuk is just being interviewed on Victoria CBC radio. He says they will know in a day or 2 if Tessa or Scott are coming - that they are leaving the decision until the last possible minute and that it will be based on whether they think they are ready, and that SC is fine with that.

arakwafan2006
01-15-2011, 12:27 AM
In this article, Igor stated that Tessa and Scott are STILL the best in the world. Maybe people want to play semantics and point out that he COULD have meant SHOW that they are the best as in fine go and prove it but if my name was Meryl Davis or Charlie White, i would not be proud to know that my coach counted my rivals as being better than me. I just think that igor might even train them like he already thinks that they are better than Meryl and Charlie... thoughts? Maybe i am reading too much into one sentence.

alilou
01-15-2011, 03:29 AM
In this article, Igor stated that Tessa and Scott are STILL the best in the world. Maybe people want to play semantics and point out that he COULD have meant SHOW that they are the best as in fine go and prove it but if my name was Meryl Davis or Charlie White, i would not be proud to know that my coach counted my rivals as being better than me. I just think that igor might even train them like he already thinks that they are better than Meryl and Charlie... thoughts? Maybe i am reading too much into one sentence.
yeah, I think you're reading way too much into one sentence. They're reining Oly and World champions, hence the best in the world. And he's giving an interview to a Canadian journalist for a Canadian newspaper, and V&M set really high standards for themselves - ie they don't want to compete not at their best. And when he's training I bet he doesn't even think about whose best in the world - hopefully he's focused on the job at hand.

BTW this is the sentence

“If they are ready to do it, they will go,” he said. “At the same time we want to make sure they can show a good performance, that they’re still the best in the world.”

I don't think it means anything other than what it is - what their standards are. And a sound bite for a Canadian newspaper.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-15-2011, 05:25 AM
ITA..........it's unfair for people to put them in a negative light by assuming a negative action.

I can kind of understand how non V&M fans feel about having to tip toe around anything that's said about them. I love Scott and Tessa but I don't see how guessing as to why they may not have made an announcement is painting them in a negative light.

If Skate Canada is waiting on an announcement (yes it's well known that Canadians are big fans of skating and most would go to Nationals to see more than just V&M) it wouldn't be the first time a Federation has (allegedly) done that. nicecardshark mentioned Sasha last season and USFS at the beginning of the 05/06 GP season had L&T's names on the Skate America roster (although I think there was more going on behind the scenes than we know).

I'm now sorry I voiced my opinion on the matter and if an announcement was being held off for reasons other than V&M being given time to gauge how they feel it wouldn't make me think less of them. It's business.

pani
01-15-2011, 06:37 AM
At first, how could you know what Igor said and how journalist express this?
I heard a lot off time his interwies with journalists at CoR and he alwayse talk about V-C, even if all saked him only about Tessas health.
Then, M-C are on top, they are ready to go for gold, when T-S isnt ready, nobody know, how hard for them is to retun on ice and i think this is greate, when coach supprot his skaters in there preparing for big competitions.
And last. Do you think he must say co canadian press- your best ice dance team ist best at World anymore and they never could gaet gold at WCh over team form USA? :D
Read his interwies for USA press, please. And even for russian press. At GPF he talk, that M-C is the best ice dance couple now ;)