PDA

View Full Version : Are V&M out for the season????

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Allen
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Unless you think the score was wrong - which I'm not commenting on, as I don't remember the event - how could it not be okay? The score of the CD is part of the total score, just as the SPs are part of the total score, and can determine whether or not a skater/team wins.

I agree. There are a ton of results for singles competitions in which figures factored in that I dislike the result, but the fact of the matter is that is how the events were judged at the time. Compulsories are no longer part of the competition, so perhaps we will see differences in the results that might not have happened before. Would I have liked to have see D&W win Worlds last year, absolutely, but I also know that compulsories held them back big time.

I do wonder if Davis and White will be able to pull off a win against V&M this year. In the past, even with terrific vehicles like their Indian OD and Samson Delilah programs, V&M were able to beat them. This year, I don't think D&W have particularly strong programs. So, even though I would much prefer Meryl and Charlie to win, I'm not sure it is going to happen.

nuge
01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I do wonder if Davis and White will be able to pull off a win against V&M this year. In the past, even with terrific vehicles like their Indian OD and Samson Delilah programs, V&M were able to beat them. This year, I don't think D&W have particularly strong programs. So, even though I would much prefer Meryl and Charlie to win, I'm not sure it is going to happen.

Even though D/W programmes are not as strong this season I think they will pull it off.They will be more trained and polished .This is the time for them to win World Gold .The programmes started off poor but I'm sure have been and will be much improved by March.:P

The Accordion
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I love both teams a whole lot but love V and M just a bit more. To me - seeing the skaters in practice and in their OD and FD at the Olympics last year - these 2 were clearly just that much better than anyone else in those phases of the competition. (I did think Domshabs were the best in the CD)

However, with the 2 teams being so very close last year - I just don't see it as being possible that V and M could win this year if they do end up coming back.

If you are talking about reputation judging - the last time that a less healthy / less trained V and M beat D and W, they didn't seem to be considered as equals. Now I do believe they are- well virtually. If V and M do come back (which I find doubtful) and they aren't well trained, it will be obvious IMO- and I don't see the judges ignoring the discrepancy in teams who - when both healthy - were judged to be so close last season.

karen
01-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Back to the original thread title, any news on how V&M are progressing? Back on the ice? Looking good? In shape? :watch:

To answer your questions...

I don't think anyone knows how they are progressing. They did skate in an exhibition in late December, where they looked a little tentative, but who knows now.

They are back training in Michigan now, I think, and Tessa's recovery is supposedly going better this time.

They are on the starting orders for Canadian championships, but that doesn't mean much. On CBC's Grand Prix Final coverage a week ago, Tracy Wilson seemed to be treating it as a foregone conclusion that they would not be there. She was speculating on whether Crone/Poirier or Weaver/Poje would win. Also, I think there was a mention somewhere that Marina Zoueva was interviewed in Russia and did not expect them to go to Canadians. I could be wrong though...

In any case, we just have to wait and see. :watch:

Allen
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Even though D/W programmes are not as strong this season I think they will pull it off.They will be more trained and polished .This is the time for them to win World Gold .The programmes started off poor but I'm sure have been and will be much improved by March.:P

I'm hoping that when I see the programs live in a couple weeks that my opinion will change. I loved K&O's program to "La Traviata," so I really want to like their SD. In general, I'm really curious to see the SD live and decide what I really think about it.

leafygreens
01-11-2011, 12:36 AM
I agree. No matter what V/M do, they will always be considered the best in the world and it will always be judged, so that they can win. Example? Last year's Worlds, when D/W absolutely deserved to win. Or 2009 Worlds when they riddiculously lost to undertrained V/M only by the CD score! If V/M come back this season (which I still would like to, for the sake of competition or for the simple fact that if D/W win everyone will say it's just because V/M weren't there), they may actually still beat D/W considering their previous reputation, no matter how unprepared they are. I sure do believe this time will be different, though and D/W finally get the gold they deserve.

I'm sincerely sick and tired of everyone worshipping Tessa and Scott and being blind to their mistakes or flaws, or just worse skates when they have any. I do want them to come back and I still hope they impress me one day, but if it means them winning everything for the next 4 years, I'd rather pass, thank you very much.

All of this.

Judy
01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
I hope both teams keep competing because it's been a long time since we've had two teams really pushing each other in any of the disciplines. I would love to see that continue. I'm still going to be shocked though if V&M return this season unless she has recovered 100% and very quickly from her injury.

As for the criticism above about V&M winning the bronze in 2009 I think that it is amazing that they even considered competing that year considering the pain she was suffering. She was not healthy for the Olympic season either although you wouldn't have known this. I would hate to compete against this team when they're 100% healthy personally but I am looking forward to that next season.

The Accordion
01-11-2011, 02:24 AM
I hope both teams keep competing because it's been a long time since we've had two teams really pushing each other in any of the disciplines. I would love to see that continue.

:cheer:

Andora
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I can agree V&M were gifted in 2009, absolutely. That doesn't mean D&W were robbed in 2010.

Bue
01-11-2011, 11:23 PM
You really believe what you're saying? Tessa and Scott were a mess at 2009 Worlds, everybody saw it. They were 6th in the OD. 6th. And their FD also had nothing on D/W's Samson and Dalilah either.
So winning by the score of CD is ok with you? How about when it comes to D/S and F/S from Tallinn, same case? I know CDs are (were) essential, but to win only thanks to a CD score is just plain riddiculous for me.

Yes, V/M's OD was a mess. And they were placed accordingly - 6th! And no one's FD was as good as Samson and Delilah but V/M's PF FD was still really quite strong, in fact I'd say V/M and D/W were both better than D/S and B/A that night. (And I remember the BBC commentators agreeing with me.) So you know, there was some dodgy stuff going on all over that podium and the "fault" for D/W's 4th place does not lie solely at V/M's door.

Anyway, be happy! Your favourites are going to win this year! (Barring disaster.)

alilou
01-11-2011, 11:44 PM
^^^Yes. I think putting D&S first in that competition was a desperate attempt to try to set them up for Oly gold. YMMV

victorskid
01-12-2011, 04:17 AM
According to this Bev Smith article, Virtue & Moir are still not sure about competing at Canadians: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/virtue-and-moir-still-not-sure-if-theyll-compete-at-canadian-figure-skating-championships/article1866417/

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
I tend to agree with those who feel that V&M probably won't compete at Canadians but are holding off on an announcement (or at least Skate Canada is) in order to get more people to attend. I'm hoping they will attend 4CC's and/or Worlds but will understand if they skip the entire season to regroup for next year.

clarie
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
It's so nice to hear Tessa is finally skating without pain. I hope it stays that way. What an unlucky team healthwise and always having to play "catch up". I hope Scott's injury is totally healed as well. They have some terrific loyal thoughtful fans who have been very patient this year, just hoping they regain their health regardless. I think they want to avoid the unpreparedness of 2 seasons ago when they competed and were not prepared and I agree with them and their coaches on that, but I have missed them. I'm sure Davis and White are destined to win this year though as they have put much mileage on their programs and are likely continuing to improve on them as V&M are struggling to just get theirs ready. One thing about Tessa and Scott though is although they suffer major setbacks, their connection to one another never fails and puts them on another level in that regard. I don't know of another team that has it. :)

pani
01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
I tend to agree with those who feel that V&M probably won't compete at Canadians but are holding off on an announcement (or at least Skate Canada is) in order to get more people to attend

Isnt this werid - Skate Canada officials said, V-M will not skate at Nationals during GPF exibitions.