PDA

View Full Version : Are V&M out for the season????

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Wyliefan
12-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I just tried saying "Voir" out loud and it sounds like "voyeur." :lol: Maybe it had better be "Mirtue" instead!

taf2002
12-17-2010, 06:28 PM
How about saying Virtue & Moir or V/M? I loather these mashups of names.

pani
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
I am not really an uber for either, and I certainly don't want anyone injured. That said, I would like D/W to win worlds whether V/M are there or not but I don't think D/W can be scored fairly if V/M are there. For example, IMO there was no way V/M deserved to win the OD portion at the Olys. V/M have been crowned & it really doesn't matter what they put out there. (I concede what they put out there is superior many times but they have been known to receive chanflation.)

ETA I equally hate "the goose" & D/W's balance lift....IMO that is not either skating or dancing. It's acrobatics.

OK. I dont want to discuss OG results anymore - all agreed this was most fair victory in ice dance at OG since T-D.
I dont undertsand 1 thing. If you are sure D-W are sich better - how Tessa and Scott could prevent to them to get gold at WCh? If they are better - they must show this - thats all.
Hope Tessa-Scott will skate and this 100% made this season not so boring, like it was at GP

Dragonlady
12-17-2010, 07:37 PM
I am not really an uber for either, and I certainly don't want anyone injured. That said, I would like D/W to win worlds whether V/M are there or not but I don't think D/W can be scored fairly if V/M are there. For example, IMO there was no way V/M deserved to win the OD portion at the Olys.

I strongly disagree. As charming as D&W's OD was, Tessa & Scott had more difficulty in their OD which is why it took them so long to get it right, and it was performed to perfection at the Olympics.

That said, I do think that D&W will win this year regardless of whether V&M go to Worlds or not. I can't imagine that if V&M compete this season, their speed, flow, timing and overall performance will be at the same level as D&W who have been practicing, tweaking and improving their dances all season long.

Plus I love this team and I'd like to see them win and I don't see that happening once V&M are back to full strength.

pani
12-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I strongly disagree. As charming as D&W's OD was, Tessa & Scott had more difficulty in their OD which is why it took them so long to get it right, and it was performed to perfection at the Olympics.

YES!
D-W will win this year in anecase- even if V-M will shw super-skating. USA need to have gold in ice dance

maggylyn
12-17-2010, 10:24 PM
YES!
D-W will win this year in anecase- even if V-M will shw super-skating. USA need to have gold in ice dance

D/W will win because they're the top team this season, probably even if V/M were to return.

It has nothing to do with the US needing a gold in ice dance.

:rolleyes:

Pratfall
12-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Considering the problems D/W have had to date , I don't think it's wise to count the chickens before they're hatched. I think it's back to the good old "could go either way "
;)

tapper88
12-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I agree with Pratfall. Tessa and Scott are always full of good surprises, and this time have had their numbers choreographed before Tessa's injury. I like to think positively in saying that anything could happen.

maggylyn
12-18-2010, 04:59 AM
I agree with Pratfall. Tessa and Scott are always full of good surprises, and this time have had their numbers choreographed before Tessa's injury. I like to think positively in saying that anything could happen.

I agree. Of course anything could happen.

My point was mostly that winning won't be based on the US wanting or "needing" a medal. If D/W win, it will be because of their skating.

pani
12-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Anybody will go to watch "Winter Dreams on ice"? Will we have some reports and maybe videos? Hope so...
And hope Tessa and Scott will have more information about will they compete or no in interwie at CBC at Dec 21

Carmen Ovsiannikov
12-19-2010, 08:58 AM

......I'd like to see them win and I don't see that happening once V&M are back to full strength.

I agree with Dragonlady regarding V&M last season. Actually I had a problem with the rules being written in such a way that D&W were considered equal to or outscoring V&M in some of the PCS areas. D&W are excellent technicians but just comparing the the skating skills/technique what I saw on the ice was V&M being the superior team. Some of the other placements I found questionable but V&M (IMO) was the top team overall in Vancouver and for me clearly the top NA team.

Honestly I recall wondering if Tessa and Scott might get nervous or succumb to the pressure of skating in front of a home audience who had huge expectations for them (especially as they had issues with the OD all season long). On the contrary, being at home seemed to help V&M as I recall their CD, OD and FD performances as being their best of the season.

If Tessa is able to skate well, I'm more worried about P&B not even having a shot at the silver.

I am hoping for V&M to win a second world title but am not expecting it. Tessa being able to skate will be enough.

fanof
01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
When in 2008 Delobel and Schoenfelder won their one and only World Championship, when Dubruiel & Lauzon, Drobiazko & Vanagas, Navka & Kostamarov, Denkova & Staviyski and Grushina & Goncharov, Fusar Poli & Margaglio, not to mention Chait & Sakhonovsky all were not there (all of whom were competing in 2006 in the top ten), and Belbin and Agosto had a fall in the CD, would you put an asterisk beside their win?

Now that's what I'd call a depleted field. It was so depleted that the relatively new senior team of Virtue and Moir finished second. Worse (from the asterisk point of view), they finished ahead of Delobel & Schoenfelder in the FD...

I completely agree!

leafygreens
01-07-2011, 11:22 PM
This is really interesting. Look like V-M must stop skate to made D-W fans happy? :D
Look like really nobody waite them in competition. This is sad, because this two want to compete. :(

Why? On any given day, either team could win because both are relatively close in standard.

If it weren't for V&M's injury, I would say that D&W wouldn't even have a chance of winning because of V&M's gold medal reputation overshadowing other competitors. When judging potential equals such as V&M/D&W, reputation will always determine the winner, and it would be great to see D&W win for once.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-08-2011, 03:30 AM
And how many skaters were "supposed" to win a World Championship easily as the so-called front-runners because top skaters weren't there, but they couldn't deliver when the championship was supposed to be a cakewalk?

Janet Lynn comes to mind, as do B&A in 2006.

.....I guess one of my points was that B&A had the misfortune of always having "something" get in the way of a world championship. In 2006-8, it was older, more experienced teams. And after 2006, there were no longer the darlings of the judges either. Then in 2009, it was mainly political judging IMO--most people think B&A really deserved to win that year. Finally, in 2010, they had the misfortune of being passed by younger teams.

I think B&A's best chances to win the World title were in 2008 (which they lost when Tanith fell during the CD) and 2009 (I'm one of those who feel that B&A got the job done that time around).

I've always felt that B&A being "frontrunners" for the World title in 2006 was more media hype than reality. Even Susie Wynne ended up sort of debunking that "myth" when she pointed out the circumstances surrounding the Torino Olympics and that some of the teams who had to withdraw from the Olympics or who skated poorly/ were just plain marked down skated far better in Calgary. I never actually expected Tanith and Ben to win that year.

It's possible that reputation might have helped a healthy V&M to beat D&W this season but IMHO a clean, healthy team V&M could do that with no help at all.

Twilight1
01-08-2011, 03:34 AM
I don't think it is a given that D&W are the best team out there right now and I certainly don't think the ice dance gold is in their back pocket. Even if V&M are not there, P&B are a vastly underrated team.