PDA

View Full Version : Are V&M out for the season????

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

DORISPULASKI
12-15-2010, 12:34 AM
A lot of fans minimize B&A's silver medal in 2006. A lot of fans minimize the OGM of Sarah Hughes.

A lot of fans minimize the achievements of everyone who scores above their favorites. I would not be one of those fans. But they do exist, for sure. And yes, Sato and Kimmie have been minimized. OTOH, everyone seems to like Sato much better these days... I hope Kimmie will rise from the depths of her injuries and growth spurt some day.

Of course, I'm saving my Dixie Cups because the South is going to rise again too :slinkaway: ..

Theatregirl1122
12-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Doris, you took the words right out of my mouth. I can't figure who anyone would expect to be contending for the Olympic podium in 2014 who won't be at at least contending for their country's world team this year? Samuelson and Bates? I suppose if they overtake D&W but I don't think that was going to happen this year. So the only way the field is depleted is that V&M won't be 100%.

kwanfan1818
12-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Don't be silly.

A World Championship is a World Championship.
And how many skaters were "supposed" to win a World Championship easily as the so-called front-runners because top skaters weren't there, but they couldn't deliver when the championship was supposed to be a cakewalk?

neptune
12-15-2010, 03:08 AM
And how many skaters were "supposed" to win a World Championship easily as the so-called front-runners because top skaters weren't there, but they couldn't deliver when the championship was supposed to be a cakewalk?

Janet Lynn comes to mind, as do B&A in 2006. But of course, as has often been discussed, counting championships isn't necessarily a good way to gauge the quality of a skater's career. Someone who never won a world title might have been a better skater overall than someone who did. Janet Lynn is a prime example here. And because Kimmie Meissner won a world title, is she a better skater than Tonya Harding, who did not? Anyway, we could go on and on.

I guess one of my points was that B&A had the misfortune of always having "something" get in the way of a world championship. In 2006-8, it was older, more experienced teams. And after 2006, there were no longer the darlings of the judges either. Then in 2009, it was mainly political judging IMO--most people think B&A really deserved to win that year. Finally, in 2010, they had the misfortune of being passed by younger teams.

Maybe the field this year isn't really that depleted. Maybe it's more that B&A just came through in a period that made it difficult for them to ever win. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case for D&W. And getting back to the subject of this thread, I hope V&M will be there, because they seem to bring out the best in D&W. It will be much more exciting if they're healthy enough to compete, especially if they can make it a somewhat close contest.

MarieM
12-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Which are the 2% that don't suck in your opinion, could you please give me their names? Thank you in advance.:)

Faiella/Scali are the only ones remaining. Well last year at least since I didn't really watch their SD this year.

DORISPULASKI
12-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Here's your chance to look at the GW, as skated this year. Other high scoring teams (BobSol and C&P) did not score as high in the GW.

This year's F&S short dances:
CoC (the whole thing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKMDUnYG9nM
CoR, indexed to begin where the GW starts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPOTHv6maAk#t=1m16s

At CoC, the judges gave their GW segments
GW segment 1 level 4, 6.71 points
GW segment 2 level 1, 2.43 points, with negative GOE

At CoR, the judges gave their GW segments
GW segment 1 level 4, 6.57 points
GW segment 2 level 2, 6.29 points

So they have been struggling with the second segment. Fede's shoot the duck in the first segment though is just like Klimova did it, with the leg up way past vertical (nice :) )

To contrast, Kerrs scored at SC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hcU-DZfD8#t=0m30s
GW segment 2 level 3, 7.79 points

P&B's best outing with the GW was TEB (they start with the second segment first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryQIwAd9aw#t=1m50s
GW segment 1 level 4, 6.50 points
GW segment 2 level 4, 8.50 points

and D&W's best outing with the GW was the GPF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOLus00jAk#t=1m50s
GW segment 2 level 4, 8.71 points

MarieM
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll watch that tonight, but P&B and D&W can't do GW to save their lives :lol:
The first have always have problems with the timing (grrrrrrr) and the second ones have the same problems plus edges are not always there which I always find crazy considering.

leafygreens
12-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Are V&M out for the season? I sure hope so, for D&W's sake.

DinDonShamu
12-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Faiella/Scali are the only ones remaining. Well last year at least since I didn't really watch their SD this year.

That's strange 'cause when I saw them at 2009 Worlds they had so-so ice coverage and the most terrible timing even for that easy paso among top 10.

MarieM
12-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't care !
They were doing the right steps, using the right edges and more important of all using the right TEMPO.
They were the only one respecting the pattern from A to Z.

literaryfreak
12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I think D/W would love to have V/M back, for competition sake. Competition always brings out their best performances. And if V/M were to win Worlds again this year, it would light such a fire under D/W.

pani
12-17-2010, 05:59 PM

This is really interesting. Look like V-M must stop skate to made D-W fans happy? :D
Look like really nobody waite them in competition. This is sad, because this two want to compete. :(

clarie
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Goodness, Pani, V&M have tons of fans who want to see them continue. I'm sure that, yes, some D&W fans might want them to retire, but I'm sure not all. If D&W were the ones who are always fighting injury, then as a fan of V&M, I would be wishing them well, and hoping they would come back skating. It's great to have such wonderful teams pushing one another to achieve. :)

taf2002
12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
This is really interesting. Look like V-M must stop skate to made D-W fans happy? :D
Look like really nobody waite them in competition. This is sad, because this two want to compete. :(

I am not really an uber for either, and I certainly don't want anyone injured. That said, I would like D/W to win worlds whether V/M are there or not but I don't think D/W can be scored fairly if V/M are there. For example, IMO there was no way V/M deserved to win the OD portion at the Olys. V/M have been crowned & it really doesn't matter what they put out there. (I concede what they put out there is superior many times but they have been known to receive chanflation.)

ETA I equally hate "the goose" & D/W's balance lift....IMO that is not either skating or dancing. It's acrobatics.

mishieru07
12-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Why? On any given day, either team could win because both are relatively close in standard.

More than anything, both Marlie and Voir are competitive people so having each other around means they will help push each other. We fans benefit by having 2 wonderful teams to watch!

I miss having Voir around so fingers crossed that they'll be back for Nationals or at least by 4CC.