PDA

View Full Version : Will Sotnikova and Tuktymasheva have the same impact on the Sr. level as Mao/YuNa?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Aussie Willy
12-25-2010, 03:27 AM
This thread prompted me to have a look at both these girls so I watched both their SPs. Haven't had a look at FS yet.

They both have great basics and beautiful technique. I preferred Adelina's skating skills as I found Elizaveta a bit more choppy in her basic technique. Particularly Adelina's SlSt was amazing. She keep the speed and flow on one foot going all the way. Excellent balance which is something you want to see with skating skills.

I actually liked Elizaveta's musicality more. If you turned the music off you could get a good idea of what she was skating to. So a few more nuances in there for me and stronger interpretation.

Overall the strength and flow of Adelina stood out for me. And the most obvious things is these are skaters who have never known anything other than IJS as they system they are judged under. So they ticked all the boxes and fulfilled all the criteria which they have probably been doing since they started competing and have know nothing else. Even Mao and Yu Na would have competed under 6.0 at some point before IJS was introduced. So the programs work.

It is so good to see some young Russian ladies really making an impression again on the international skating scene again. I really enjoyed them. And they skated as if they were out there for just the pure joy of skating with great freedom in their movement. They just went for it.

olympic
12-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Questions about Seniors eligibility -

I wiki'd the 2 of them.

Adelina was born on 7/1/96, so she will be 15 next year and just manages to be eligible for 2012 Worlds. Liza was born on 12/17/96 and will also be 15 next year, but not eligible for Sr. Worlds until 2013. Is this correct. I assume the deadline is 15 by July 1st of the previous year?

oleada
12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Questions about Seniors eligibility -

I wiki'd the 2 of them.

Adelina was born on 7/1/96, so she will be 15 next year and just manages to be eligible for 2012 Worlds. Liza was born on 12/17/96 and will also be 15 next year, but not eligible for Sr. Worlds until 2013. Is this correct. I assume the deadline is 15 by July 1st of the previous year?

Adelina is not age eligible until 2013. Apparently the Russian fed asked and this is what they were told.

olympic
12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Adelina is not age eligible until 2013. Apparently the Russian fed asked and this is what they were told.

Weird. I thought 7/1 was the deadline and she would've just cut it. Her potential greatness is scaring the JPN and US Feds, so they're keeping her out [JK]

:soapbox:

Also, just missing out on '11 Worlds is Polina Shelepen. She was born on 7/28/95, but she should be eligible for '12 Worlds. Looks like Makarova and Leonova buy themselves more time.

kia_4EverOnIce
12-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Adelina is born 1st July 1996:why worlds 2013?
I also thought of worlds 2012 too, because she's born before the deadline of 15th July and I remember that all the buzz for Mao in 2005/06 was because she was born two months after the deadline, while Adelina born before that.

oleada
12-27-2010, 08:43 PM
The deadline is July 1st, not July 15th.

olympic
12-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Adelina is born 1st July 1996:why worlds 2013?
I also thought of worlds 2012 too, because she's born before the deadline of 15th July and I remember that all the buzz for Mao in 2005/06 was because she was born two months after the deadline, while Adelina born before that.

OK. I thought the deadline was 15 yrs. of age by 7/1 of the previous year. Oops. Oleada just clarified this

kia_4EverOnIce
12-27-2010, 09:25 PM
The deadline is July 1st, not July 15th.

oh, thank you!!! :)

Frau Muller
12-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh dear, by the time that they become senior-eligible, they could very well be "Zhanged" (as in Caroline Zhang's changes). They're already showing little signs of future problems. Makarova and Leonova may not have much to worry about through Sochi except for the non-Russians. Adelina and Liza will most likely not be the 'YuNa and Mao of 2014.'

Aussie Willy
12-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh dear, by the time that they become senior-eligible, they could very well be "Zhanged" (as in Caroline Zhang's changes). They're already showing little signs of future problems. Makarova and Leonova may not have much to worry about through Sochi except for the non-Russians. Adelina and Liza will most likely not be the 'YuNa and Mao of 2014.'I am not sure what the problems were. Can you please explain. Their technique didn't give me any alarm bells.

The one thing both girls had was speed and flow, which is something that Zhang didn't have at that age or has now. They were really quite effortless over the ice.

ainouta
12-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I am not sure what the problems were. Can you please explain. Their technique didn't give me any alarm bells.

The one thing both girls had was speed and flow, which is something that Zhang didn't have at that age or has now. They were really quite effortless over the ice.

This is just the Russian Nats thread redux, please pay it no mind...
And I agree, both girls have great speed/flow and Liza also has great jumping technique. Adelina's already gotten much more "substantial" since she first made her splash and she's re-adjusted quite beautifully.

pinky166
12-28-2010, 01:58 AM
This is just the Russian Nats thread redux, please pay it no mind...
And I agree, both girls have great speed/flow and Liza also has great jumping technique. Adelina's already gotten much more "substantial" since she first made her splash and she's re-adjusted quite beautifully.

I agree with this. If you watch videos of Adelina over the past few seasons, it appears her jumps have actually gotten higher and more powerful this season, despite the height and weight she's gained since she won nationals in 2009. So really, her maturing has improved her skating in some respects.

oleada
12-28-2010, 02:01 AM
I am not sure what the problems were. Can you please explain. Their technique didn't give me any alarm bells.

You're right, of course. Consider the source. Just sayin' :shuffle:

shuilee
12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Can Sotnikova compete in the Senior GP in 2011-2012? I know she can't compete until 2013 senior worlds, but maybe she could compete in senior GP series a year early like Mao Asada in 2005-2006? Don't know if ISU revoked that rule or not.

Sylvia
12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Can Sotnikova compete in the Senior GP in 2011-2012?
Yes.