PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to American Skating - Atlantic City NJ Dec11

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

smurfy
12-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Just got home, 4 hr drive to AC, 5 hr drive home, save on hotel.
Wonderful show. I prefer comps, but this show was just very nice. (Not many jumps, and not sure if there were any triples??)
Combination of various intros, folks on stage and skating

Evan - skated his Oly SP - Firebird
then Intro with Mary Carillo, then Nancy Kerrigan and Peggy Fleming
Video on the ladies
Kimmie skated to A Man's World. Nice skate, but does not appear to be ready for comp

Sasha in a very cute black cabaret outfit with hat and stockings. not sure if the music is from cabaret or victor/victoria. almost sounded like julie andrews?? Nice skate, but not for comp

Tenley Albright was introduced and Mary C chatted with her

Sarah Hughes skated next to a Judy Collins song (blanking on name). Her skating was more mature, elegant, but slow and no jumps. She looked very lovely, with hair a little longer and curly.

Tara was introduced. Mary C chatted with her about acting and commentating.

Caryn Kadavy skated next to 'I Dreamed a Dream' from Les Miz. Lovely as always.

Then Paul Wylie was introduced (he is short next to Mary C). He intro for Nancy.

Nancy skated to Defying Gravity, in a lovely green dress with black lace overlay. The program built and the crowd was into it. Nice choreography

Then Debi Thomas skated. I was so excited to see her again and she did not dissappoint. She looked fab, in a 2 piece black outfit with silver sequins. Skated to Christina Aguilera - music from Burlesque. Nice choreography and footwork. Made me think Debi would have done well in ice dance. Very confident and polished.

Dorothy came out and intro Tom Collins and Vera Wang and they chatted. Funny how Collins mentioned COI, and Scott starting SOI and competing.

Richard Dwyer then skated. Mr. Debonair (us bronze medalist 1950, born in 1935), he skated a bit by himself, then one by one he brought a lady out onto the ice...
Linda Fratianne
Tai B
JoJo Starbuck
Tenley Albright
they did not skate much and Mr. Debonair skated around them. They were all smiling and enjoying themself and crowd was happy.
Dwyer gave flowers to someone in the audience, but on my side of the rink, so I could not really see who.
They skated to oldies... As Time Goes by
Dwyer - great footwork, did a single axel (pretty high)
Then Brian Boitano came out and the 2 of them skated to 'That's Entertainment, and then 2 guys w 4 ladies exited the ice, all hugging each other. Very nice moment.
Break

America performed a medley of greatest hits while a screen listed the names of US champions in order, for each discipline.
Video on Pairs
Then Mary C came out again

Jenni & Todd skated to 'True Companion, very nice. some lifts, but not Jenni over Todd's head.

then Rocky Marval & Calla Urbanski skated to the Doors 'Love me 2 times'. Very fun program, lots of tricks, including the one where Calla backflips over Rocky and the headbanger. Lots of energy as in the past - awesome. Crowd was really into it. I was sitting by Rocky's family (a very good looking guy that must be his brother, and smelled really good, his Mom and others), plus Isabelle stopped by with their daughter. Both very cute.

Kristi was then introduced.

Paul Wylie and Nancy Kerrigan skated their 'pair program' from the 92 Olys (Miss Saigon song). They were wonderful, their unison was very good.

Video on Dance,
Lang & Peter skated to 'Still Got the Blues' - an old program of theirs. They have great flow and looked great.

Film on Scott
Scott came out and chatted, and gave Dick Button Life Time Achievement Award. Dick spoke.

Michael Weiss skated to 'Save the Horse, Ride the Cowboy' Great showman, audience loved him (especially the backflip). Lots of energy.

Mens film

Todd skated - to an Andrea Boccelli song (Amore said lots). Great skating.

Rudy Galindo came out in his navy outfit and did his Village People medley. Crowd was cracking up. Rudy was way more campy with it than when I saw it years ago in COI.

Sarah - spoke on podium

Brian Boitano skated to Shenadoah.

Finale, all out on ice/stage. Including Tara, and she and Evan did a little bit on the ice.

Then retakes. Weiss did one, then Brian got on ice, and Weiss kicked him off, wanted to retake a second jump. Funny. Brian did his retake, and I realized he seemed nervous when he initially did Shenandoah, and was much more relaxed in the retake. As Brian was leaving the ice, he patted Rudy on the but as Rudy was taking the ice for his redo.
I left, long drive home.

Where the skaters were enterting/exiting the ice, lots of famous folks were sitting there, Tenley, Dorothy etc. Could tell they were all socializing and having a great time. This show was very special. All the chatting was nice, reminiscning etc.

paskatefan
12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
The show was superb, seriously one of the best FS shows we have ever attended. I'm too exhausted to post a report right now, but thanks for giving your impressions. We stayed for the retakes (and moved up front). Can't wait to watch/record the show on Christmas Day.

A few music notes - Sarah's music was "Both Sides Now" (Joni Mitchell's redone version) Sasha's program was "Mein Herr" from "Cabaret." This is one of her SOI programs for the 25th Anniversary show. Todd's music was "Il Mare Calmo de la Sera," the Andrea Bocelli song.

skamper23
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reports!!! Looking forward to the TV broadcast!!

kittyjake5
12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your report. Sounds like it was a fantastic and fun show.

skatesindreams
12-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the review.
Looking forward to seeing this on TV.

floskate
12-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Here's a video of Debi Thomas skating to 'Burlesque'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XyBM0YP8gA

Thanks so much for the review. I do hope this appears on youtube or fsvids to download for those of us not in the US.

skatesindreams
12-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for sharing the clip, floskate.
It was great not to have to wait to see the broadcast of Debi's performance.

kwanette
12-12-2010, 03:38 PM
The show was amazing, so much emotion, so many highlights...

The duet skating by Paul and Nancy, in my mind, was every bit as good as it was in 92. In addition, Nancy's "Defying Gravity" was terrific. I loved the emotion of it and the choreography. Caryn Kadavy showed up elegant as ever and so prepared, looked beautiful. Evan's "Firebird" was competition-ready...The men, BB, Todd, Mike Weiss were fantastic. I can't pick a high light, but I will say that Peter T and Naomi's "Still Loving You" was near the top. She is totally fit and he is as hunky and fabulous as ever.

Calla and Rocky wowed me and their rehearsal had not gone that well but they really put on a show. My seat mate and I needed tissues when Scott was speaking...and when Nancy skated to "Defying Gravity.." I hope that she skates forever. As I told Rudy Galindo, you show skate and perform "Village People" every day for the rest of MY life. Jenni and Todd have such a lovely connection and I have always wanted to tell them that their "Nessum Dorma" was my fav, (with apologies to S and Z) and I did.Kimmie Meissner is probably the sweetest thing to have ever laced on a pair of skates.Sasha did a nice job with her "Mein Herr"...

More later, my house guest is taking me to breakfast.

merrywidow
12-12-2010, 07:22 PM
I am so looking forward to Paul & Nancy's duet. One of my all time favorite exhibition programs. Thanks for the review & comments.

Anjelica
12-13-2010, 03:08 AM
I loved this show and can't wait to see how it gets put together for tv. I think my favorite number was the group number where Richard Dyer, Tenley Albright, Tai, Linda Fratianne and JoJo skated and then Brian came out. They all looked like they were enjoying being out on the ice again so much, it just gave me such a warm feeling to watch them having so much fun with their skating. Wow what a cast, and so good to see so many of them again!:)

Debbie S
12-13-2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the reviews! I hope Nancy and Paul's duet makes TV. I never saw the 92 Olys ex, and I really want to see that number. I hope Todd's Bocelli number makes it, too. I've seen that many times, but never get tired of it. Same for Brian's Shenandoah. :)

newbatgirl
12-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the reviews! I hope Nancy and Paul's duet makes TV. I never saw the 92 Olys ex, and I really want to see that number. I hope Todd's Bocelli number makes it, too. I've seen that many times, but never get tired of it. Same for Brian's Shenandoah. :)

Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmVeptZzzH8). The audio is kind of crappy though.

Debbie S
12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmVeptZzzH8). The audio is kind of crappy though.Thanks!

Frau Muller
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the descriptions and details. Sounds fabulous and I can't wait to see it on TV. Only one thing is bugging me: Nobody seems to have mentioned Carol Heiss - 1960 Oly Gold medalist and 1956 silver medalist and the Jenkins Brothers, Hayes (1956 Gold medal) and David (1960 gold). Ditto Roz Sumners - 1984 Oly silver medal. Did they not show up folks just forgot to mention them?

SwingDancer
12-13-2010, 03:40 PM
There was no mention of Tim Goebel Bronze from 2002