PDA

View Full Version : Tom Z's skaters

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ks777
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Universal Sports seems to go out of its way to mention Cheyenne High School. I wonder if the school pays them to do this.

Probably not. Every time Mirai skated, they used to mention Mirai's school too.

UMBS Go Blue
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I wonder if the school pays them to do this.Sorry, but a public high school paying a TV network to promote itself? That is just :rofl: in today's era of limited public funds.

And, folks, say whatever you will of Tom Z, but to barbk's point, it's great that there is a public school that is accommodative of "different" needs, let alone skaters' needs.

smarts1
12-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Generally, if you're a top athlete at a high school, the administrators and the teachers are going to go out of their way to help you. I experienced it first hand since one of the girls in my girl was a top tennis player who pretty much never came to school and always went to tennis tournaments.

jlai
12-24-2010, 01:56 AM
The only thing I curious about is why nearly all his skaters's programs are so boring except Abott...

His earliest skaters like Ryan and Jeremy aren't boring, but perhaps as Tom Z became successful he recruited hardworkers over talents.

chipso1
12-24-2010, 02:14 AM
We don't know what went on outside the camera range (and we don't need to). Let's not be judgmental.

As someone who was backstage at '08 Nationals after Kimmie's FS, I can attest that Pam's reaction was icy at best. There were no hugs, no consoling, no words of encouragement. :shuffle:

Now, maybe Kimmie didn't want to be hugged/consoled at that moment, but there were definitely signs that their relationship was beginning to strain.

PDilemma
12-24-2010, 02:18 AM
it's great that there is a public school that is accommodative of "different" needs, let alone skaters' needs.

Those matters aren't necessarily in a school's control. I had a student who figure skated and getting her excused from PE required a waiver from the state dep't of ed for accreditation reasons and because of rules to prevent kids on school sponsored teams from getting special treatment in that regard. It was a bureaucratic headache to get it settled for the two years she was required to have PE. The school did it for her; but had the state turned it down, she would have had to have taken PE.

There were no issues with her missing schools for competitions, though. And there were times that she was excused from first period or allowed to be tardy when they had difficulty scheduling ice time.

Debbie S
12-24-2010, 04:40 AM
As someone who was backstage at '08 Nationals after Kimmie's FS, I can attest that Pam's reaction was icy at best. There were no hugs, no consoling, no words of encouragement. :shuffle:

Now, maybe Kimmie didn't want to be hugged/consoled at that moment, but there were definitely signs that their relationship was beginning to strain.Backstage at Nats is not really a private place. There are cameras (and reporters, and volunteers) everywhere. I don't have any inside knowledge of the situation, and I'm not trying to defend anyone, but it would be unlikely for any emotional interactions to occur in that area, unless it's a curtained-off area outside of media hearing range or a locker room.

And it's also possible that Pam knew her days as Kimmie's coach were numbered. But we'll never know.

madm
12-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Cheyenne Mountain has a very long history of working well with elite and rising skaters.

When my daughter was at another high school in Colorado, I phoned the vice principal at Cheyenne Mtn High to find out how they worked out the state requirements, online classes, PE waivers and the like at their school, so that I could learn from it and propose similar things at my daughter's public high school. That administrator told me they developed a curriculum for elite athletes because they have so many of them, given that the Olympic Training Center is in town as well as many elite skaters. They would rather help them finish high school in the public school than to have them drop out. So they allow students to take high school equivalency courses via BYU Independent Study, and the district pays for many if not all of those credits. They also allow students to have a variable schedule designed around ice time in the middle of the school day. Lots of students take early morning classes, leave for a few hours, and then come back for mid/late afternoon classes. At my daughter's school, we were able to do independent study for health and PE, do music during "zero" hour before school, and leave by 12:30 in the afternoon for skating. She took all her core classes at the high school, and was creative about picking up the other credits in various ways. She always did 1-2 classes via independent study every summer. Thank God my daughter's counselor and principal were supportive and helped us develop a class schedule that worked with high-level skating demands. The students at Cheyenne Mtn are very lucky that they do not have to trailblaze with the administration to pursue a non-varsity sport.