PDA

View Full Version : Tom Z's skaters

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

mysticchic
12-13-2010, 08:19 PM
I heard there are people who are experts there that work with Dartfish and Chan. You can have these kind of programs, but if you don't have someone who knows how to use it then it's a waste.
It's just like in basseball, my BIL uses dartfish with his pitchers and batters. He is not a pro, so it's rather hit and miss.

sk9tingfan
12-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm glad to see alot of people on here are not fond of Tom Z. I am not either. In fact, I find him to be an incredibly huge douchebag.

Maybe we should have a survey that measures the degree to which we find certain coaches to have that quality. In my (douche) bag of tricks and in no particular order:

Tom Zaracjek
Nikolai Morosov
Julianne Berlin

Anyone else care to add to the list of "prizes":rolleyes:

museksk8r
12-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Maybe we should have a survey that measures the degree to which we find certain coaches to have that quality. In my (douche) bag of tricks and in no particular order:

Tom Zaracjek
Nikolai Morosov
Julianne Berlin

Robin Wagner when she coached Hughes and Cohen. :shuffle:
Also, Pam Gregory in the Kiss and Cry with Meissner at 2008 Nationals. :slinkaway

ks777
12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Brian Orser when he was coaching Yuna. When Yuna's jump got downgraded, he told the media that Ando's jump was more underrotated.. I thought he had no class when he said that.

pinky166
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Tom Zaracjek
Nikolai Morosov
Julianne Berlin

I've always wondered about Rafael Artunian, his relationship with Mao Asada apparently ended badly.

krenseby
12-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Robin Wagner when she coached Hughes and Cohen. :shuffle:
Also, Pam Gregory in the Kiss and Cry with Meissner at 2008 Nationals. :slinkaway

People love talking about Robin Wagner. She seems to be the most notorious American coach. Either way, I hope her relationship with Elene Gedevanishvili is a good one.

reese
12-14-2010, 04:07 AM

Tom Zaracjek
Nikolai Morosov
Julianne Berlin

Well there's Richard Callaghan with the whole child molestation thing. At least Morosov sleeps with his skaters who are of age.

Tom Z and Morosov are the most obnoxious in the K&C and by the boards of the current overpopulated coaches.

Indra486
12-14-2010, 04:42 AM
FYI negative reinforcement= taking something away to encourage a behavior.
positive reinforcement= introducing stimulus to encourage behavior.

Sorry for the douchery, it's just the intro psych student in me :)

Not douchey at all. :) I'm just repeating what I think I've seen around the internet and "negative reinforcement" was thrown around a few times. To what degree that means with Tom Z, I don't exactly know.

lilshorty
12-15-2010, 12:08 AM
I actually think that Brandon Mroz has decent basic skating skills, and good artistry if you watch his breakout 2009 Nationals FS. With that said, he, like the rest of Tom's skaters, are talented but slow, and they need more direction as far as packaging goes. I think that Brandon's programs this season are boring, and I don't like Agnes' FS. I think that Rachael has a lovely FS, but her SP is sort of a replica of the same vibe from last year's SP. Would love to see them skate to something else.

Cheylana
12-15-2010, 02:08 AM
What did she do? I can't remember.

Debbie S
12-15-2010, 02:23 AM
What did she do? I can't remember.I think that was blown way out of proportion. People were upset that she didn't hug Kimmie or say anything other than something like "It's tough out there." IMO, Pam was just trying to hold herself and Kimmie together until the scores came up and they could leave the K&C and get backstage. I'm sure both were very upset about Kimmie's performance, but no one wants to have a meltdown in front of the arena and the millions watching at home. We don't know what went on outside the camera range (and we don't need to). Let's not be judgmental.

pinky166
12-15-2010, 03:49 AM
One other thing I've noticed regarding Tom Z's skaters, it seems like they all go to Cheyenne Mountain Highschool. Most other top skaters are home/online schooled it seems, so maybe Broadmoor is a good choice of club for skaters who do not wish to be homeschooled? That could be a factor drawing so many skaters to Broadmoor and Tom Z. Also, aren't the facilities at the World Arena great? It just seems like it's a popular place to train, and then students who train their end up being coached by Tom Z.

barbk
12-15-2010, 03:45 PM
One other thing I've noticed regarding Tom Z's skaters, it seems like they all go to Cheyenne Mountain Highschool. Most other top skaters are home/online schooled it seems, so maybe Broadmoor is a good choice of club for skaters who do not wish to be homeschooled? That could be a factor drawing so many skaters to Broadmoor and Tom Z. Also, aren't the facilities at the World Arena great? It just seems like it's a popular place to train, and then students who train their end up being coached by Tom Z.

Cheyenne Mountain has a very long history of working well with elite and rising skaters. In contrast, the nearby high school in my town still required a skater competing in regionals and sectionals to take PE and counted the days gone to the qualifying comps as absences against the attendance policy. In comparison, a high school cyclist at this same school -- who is the child of another Olympic medal winning cyclist -- and who rather quickly rose to international prominence didn't seem to have difficulty getting time off to go to international competitions. Being a top cyclist in a cycling-mad town doesn't hurt. I'm guessing that the school might have been more flexible with a international-level elite skater, but someone nobody's ever heard of needing time off to compete at Midwesterns didn't get real far. I'm sure that the same skater, at Cheyenne Mtn, would have had no trouble rearranging the school day and getting time off.

Lanie
12-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd assume like what barbk says: schools don't always accommodate. My high school had various actors and so on. They were accommodated. As a skater, who skated a few hours a day, I could not get out of taking PE so instead I took a bunch of dance classes. I can't imagine what it would have been like had I competed at all. I'd have been in trouble! :rofl:

TwizzlerS
12-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Universal Sports seems to go out of its way to mention Cheyenne High School. I wonder if the school pays them to do this.