PDA

View Full Version : Has any reigning champion just plain failed to qualify for Worlds?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

judgejudy27
12-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Yamaguchi went splat at 1990 Worlds. Had Yamaguchi not fallen apart at Worlds, then it would have helped Midori to the World title.

It is interesting that you have left out Tonya Harding in your commentary.

I was not ignoring anyone. Harding sometimes sabatoged herself but of course if she landed her big jumps she would beat Trenary post figures. Ito was a mess at the 91 Worlds (I know not really her fault) and missed the 92 Worlds altogether. I only reference Kerrigan since even though such as erratic and not yet great skater like her was competing against Yamaguchi, Ito, Harding, and whoever else, Kerrigan and her 4 triple/half meltdown LPs were apparently good enough to medal in every major event from 91-92. So I have no reason to think Trenary wouldnt have also, since IMO she would probably have had no problem beating any of Kerrigan's 91-92 performances, particularly with her huge reputation advantage over Kerrigan at the time. Do you really think Trenary wouldnt have been able to beat Kerrigan at any competition the next 2 years if she stayed healthy and skated at her usual level of even 88-90? It is not like you had Yamaguchi, Harding, and Ito all skating great any one competition. Mediocre or even weak performances (aka Kerrigan's) medaled at every major event in 91 and 92. I dont think she would have won another major title but she would have remained a contender.

And I dont think Kristi was neccessarily going to beat Jill in the LP at the 1990 Worlds but of course she improved so much after 1990 and was so consistent, that Jill was not going to be able to beat her again probably. The 1990 Goodwill Games is probably the last time she was ever going to come close.

Maximillian
12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Jill Trenary Profile/Interview- 1992 Albertville, Figure Skating (Secondary Broadcast Feed) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8oaM8lOF0)

Jill states she did not feel she could compete with the other girls on a technical level. She wanted the number of triples to be limited to four.

I wish she got a chance to talk about the elimination of compulsory figures, but they moved on to discussing the men's competition.

Yeah, you're going to have to let this one go, Trenary did not have the jumps of Ito, Harding, or Yama-but her basics were superior to Yama's and the equivalent to Ito and Harding. Her in-betweens were better than all of theirs. Based on the way the event was skated a bronze in Albertville for a healthy Trenary is very plausible.

bardtoob
12-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I was not ignoring anyone. Harding sometimes sabatoged herself but of course if she landed her big jumps she would beat Trenary post figures.

Tonya beat Trenary at Skate America 1989 and was 2nd after figures and the SP at 1990 Nationals, but did not win because of obvious illness. Actually at 1990 Nationals, most people were surprised that Tonya did not give up, but she skated through her freeskate with double jumps rather than withdraw.

Tonya Harding - 1989 Skate America Long Program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9MFnFMKRE)

Tonya Harding 1990 Nationals LP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2dHL6kKdDE)

briancoogaert
12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to let this one go, Trenary did not have the jumps of Ito, Harding, or Yama-but her basics were superior to Yama's and the equivalent to Ito and Harding. Her in-betweens were better than all of theirs. Based on the way the event was skated a bronze in Albertville for a healthy Trenary is very plausible.
Well, I am surprised by the quality of her jumps. Maybe not the best technique, but so much height, definitely better than Yamaguchi.
That's too bad Jill didn't have to work earlier on the Lutz and Loop. I'm sure she could have done them.

essence_of_soy
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, I am surprised by the quality of her jumps. Maybe not the best technique, but so much height, definitely better than Yamaguchi.
That's too bad Jill didn't have to work earlier on the Lutz and Loop. I'm sure she could have done them.

According to a 1988 ABC broadcast of the US Nationals, Jill indeed had a triple loop in her reportoire. I don't recall, however, if she ever included it, or felt she needed to at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjM1MMQTqFc