Auntie
12-11-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/12/11/business/AP-US-Madoff-Son.html?hp

shan
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
:(

Buzz
12-11-2010, 03:16 PM
The harm and distruction Madoff visited on so many lives continues even within his own family. Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him. R.I.P.

orientalplane
12-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him.

Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.

Rex
12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.

Where did Buzz say Madoff's act was selfish?
I'm heartbroken for the son and the son's family, but fcuk Bernie Madoff.

orientalplane
12-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Where did Buzz say Madoff's act was selfish?

He/she didn't use the word, but the comment I've quoted above seems very judgemental to me. YMMV.

BigB08822
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I think Buzz was just remarking that killing oneself inflicts a ton of pain and grief onto those that love you, mainly friends and of course family. Buzz didn't say anything about whether or not he may have had valid reasons for killing himself. Can you honestly say that you think it is ok to require your loved ones to have to deal with your death for the rest of their lives? I don't think it is but it doesn't mean I judge those who do decide to kill themselves because as you said, I am not in their shoes.

orientalplane
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I think Buzz was just remarking that killing oneself inflicts a ton of pain and grief onto those that love you, mainly friends and of course family.

Not always true; some people who kill themselves are effectively alone, without friends and with family having deserted them.

Can you honestly say that you think it is ok to require your loved ones to have to deal with your death for the rest of their lives? I don't think it is but it doesn't mean I judge those who do decide to kill themselves because as you said, I am not in their shoes.

I think your last two sentences (above) rather contradict themselves, but in any case, I am now exiting this thread.

cruisin
12-11-2010, 05:46 PM
What a tragedy. The pain that would drive someone to suicide must be beyond unbearable. And the pain that loved ones feel, when someone commits suicide is equally intense. They feel deserted, responsible, devastated. It is a shame that he did not get help. I feel bad for his wife, children, even his (questionable) mother. But, I feel nothing for his father. Bernie Madoff put his child in the position to commit crimes and be the target of scorn. Bernie Madoff destroyed his family, as well as those he swindled. He is a monster.

Gazpacho
12-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Not always true; some people who kill themselves are effectively alone, without friends and with family having deserted them.I read a quote once that resonated so much with me: "It's easy to tell me not to kill myself. The hard part is giving a shit if I choose to stay around".

agalisgv
12-12-2010, 06:05 AM
The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

I can't imagine

Japanfan
12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
I feel nothing for his father. Bernie Madoff put his child in the position to commit crimes and be the target of scorn. Bernie Madoff destroyed his family, as well as those he swindled. He is a monster.

As adults, the sons must assume some responsibility if they were involved in the crime. Suicide is always tragic for the family, but Mark may have brought some of his own tragedy on to himself. I know that the jury's still out on his involvement, but it's hard to believe the sons were completely innocent.

IceAlisa
12-12-2010, 08:03 AM
The whole situation is tragic, but I found it disturbing that he did this with his 2-year old son at home. Presumably the toddler woke up to find his father hanging.

I can't imagine

:scream:

People should keep in mind that most suicides are committed in a mental state that cannot be considered normal and cannot be judged as such.

This is beyond horrible.

skateboy
12-12-2010, 09:51 AM
People should keep in mind that most suicides are committed in a mental state that cannot be considered normal and cannot be judged as such.

This.

cruisin
12-12-2010, 03:37 PM

I can't imagine

Apparently, he thought of that. He called his wife in Florida and asked that someone check on the two year old. Granted, the child could have unexpectedly woke up, but he did not want the child to find him. And I agree that no one is in their right mind when they commit suicide.

As adults, the sons must assume some responsibility if they were involved in the crime. Suicide is always tragic for the family, but Mark may have brought some of his own tragedy on to himself. I know that the jury's still out on his involvement, but it's hard to believe the sons were completely innocent.

Yes, I am sure that he was not completely innocent. But his father brought him into it. Therefore, I have no feeling for Bernie Madoff.