PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Dance Critic: Nutcracker Dancers Hefty?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Civic
12-14-2010, 02:58 AM
My two cents: George Balanchine was a genius who achieved many great things in ballet. However, I think his influence, at times, stifles this art form in the U.S.

DickButtonFan
12-14-2010, 03:24 AM
Seems weird this is in the news when that Black Swan movie is out.

Indra486
12-14-2010, 04:51 AM
The reason is adore Vishneva's dancing is that she is a perfect storm of natural talent, physique, musicality, technique, on stage charisma and acting talent. Lopatkina and Semionova are similar.

I agree. I was stuck in the balcony watching her do Swan Lake with Marcelo Gomes and Diana really projects, especially with her Odile.

Anita18
12-14-2010, 06:42 AM
When I saw her, I thought, perfect Sugar Plum, awful Manon. As Ringer said, she's not overweight, but her body type is different from the long lean later-Balanchine ideal. She looks friendly and robust, perfect for the Sugar Plum. On the other hand, if she were playing Manon, starving to death in a swamp, I would absolutely criticize the appropriateness of her body in that context. Ringer must be mindful that her body type is totally unforgiving of the least bit of extra fat, or muscle for that matter, on her line. So if she wants roles like Agon, then she has to go above and beyond in watching her weight.
Agreed that she doesn't have the long-limbed Balanchine ideal. You can see it immediately in her neck - the muscles are short so her neck looks thicker than other dancers'. Her rib cage is also fairly wide, so she'll automatically look bigger in the waist no matter what she does. It's not a matter of watching her weight, she just doesn't have the body type. But if she isn't appropriate for the part, she isn't appropriate for the part. No need to harm herself over something she can't help.

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 06:45 AM
You know, you are right, Anita18! She probably just has a really wide ribcage and overall unfortunate build for a ballet dancer.

Anita18
12-14-2010, 06:58 AM
You know, you are right, Anita18! She probably just has a really wide ribcage and overall unfortunate build for a ballet dancer.
In that case she's pretty fortunate that the NYCB was open-minded enough to have her as a principal dancer despite her not having the "right" body type. :)

Yeah, I think many of us here can attest to how weird female bodies can be! :lol: My own limbs are very slight and willowy so I look tall and thin, but my ribcage is wide so I look big in the torso. I'm also just about :wall: since it's sooo hard to find heels that fit my weird feet! Ugh!

Skittl1321
12-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Seems weird this is in the news when that Black Swan movie is out.

Probably the only reason it is. Otherwise, I think the review would have gone unnoticed by the general public.

cruisin
12-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Wendy Whelan has an oddly wide rib cage as well. Side to side, not front to back. But the rest of her is very thin and willowy.

Rob
12-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Wendy Whelan has an oddly wide rib cage as well. Side to side, not front to back. But the rest of her is very thin and willowy.

So did Heather Watts because of the scoliosis. Wide rib cage, but she disappeared when she turned sideways, and she had the thin coltish legs.

danceronice
12-14-2010, 03:15 PM
In that case she's pretty fortunate that the NYCB was open-minded enough to have her as a principal dancer despite her not having the "right" body type. :)

Possibly Peter Martins got tired of hearing that NYCB and Balanchine were singlehandedly responsible for ballerinas turning into raging anorectics and buliemics? A little unfairly--again, I look at the 1960s NYCB, I'm seeing SLIM girls, but not girls who scraped every ounce of fat layer off their bodies so you can see the outlines of their internal organs. Balanchine liked long-limbed girls, and that usually comes with being slender, but he wasn't hiring concentration-camp victims. Probably because to me, tall and slender doesn't necessarily lend itself to fluid, but to being able to make the non-traditional angles and lines that Mr B used so often--you can't get some of those weird right angles and overbalances with a shorter body and his works simply wouldn't look the same.

But I don't see Sugar Plum (or any of the Nutcracker roles, really) as ones that require long and willowy anyway--again, just watched the Royal Ballet. Their Sugar Plum was tiny and 'rounder' (not plump by any stretch, just shorter-bodied) than, say, Wendy Whelan, but what she had was SPEED in her feet (also stretch and ability to hold positions). To me, the thing that ballet has is not gravity-defiance, it's the ability to truly follow the music with your feet. There's a precision to pointe work that replicates the orchestra in a way that dancing flat just can't. Yes, the men do things without toe work that are amazing, but they are more feats of insane strength (and connected to the floor), while toe work allows the ballerina to dance the music with a precision you just don't see in other styles. She can do big leaps, slow rolls through the foot, teeny-tiny flutters across the floor. She can be the music and use the floor either into it or on it.

Beefcake
12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Probably the only reason it is. Otherwise, I think the review would have gone unnoticed by the general public.
Ding! This skandal :sekret: brought to you by the PTB of Black Swan.

That writer was paid handsomely, methinks, for his "foible". :bribe:

:) Every time I see this thread title, I think (in my deep voice) "Hefty! Hefty! Hefty!"

Holley Calmes
12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know if Tyler Peck is the greatest thing evah, but she is lovely and looks like a good role model. I am sending this link because it's fun to see dancers talking and interacting....but actually I'm sending it because one of the two young dancers, Nancy Casciano, is MY baby! She was one of our little company dancers where I work, and quite a prodigy. She received a full scholarship to SAB in fall of 2009, and she's been living at Lincoln Center for a year now. She was born to do this....Remember her name in a few years! I hope she stays at NYCB....they seem to love her.

But here's the link. I'd like others' opinions of Tyler (did I spell that wrong?)

http://video.teen.com/girlsguide/#p=homepage

Here's Nancy in a couple of my husband's photos. She was 13 when these were taken:

http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/image/111649160
http://www.pbase.com/rcalmes/image/114004581

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Great pictures, Holley! Nancy looks really promising. Thanks for posting them and the clip. Tiler Peck seems like a very sweet young lady.

Here's a video of the NYCB putting on Sleeping Beauty and they show 3 Auroras although I only saw 2 (Ashley Bouder and Tiler Peck). I prefer Ashley but for some reason both of them have stiffer backs than what I am used to, especially Tiler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeWlcN4dxI

Here's some footage of the third one, Kathryn Morgan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c2KOHGnvb4&feature=related

She has lovely lines.

Gazpacho
12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
The Nutcracker is so different from any other ballet in its mission and goals. It's the ballet companies' cash cow and is targeted toward children and people who normally don't go to the ballet.

Thus, from the company's perspective, there is one sole criteria for judging a Nutcracker performance: Do children and their parents leave the theatre with a smile?

Jenifer Ringer looks like a friendly and warm woman you would want as your kindergarten teacher. Regardless of whether she actually is friendly and warm, she makes kids feel that way, and thus she is well suited for the Sugar Plum Fairy.

IceAlisa
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Ding! This skandal :sekret: brought to you by the PTB of Black Swan.

That writer was paid handsomely, methinks, for his "foible". :bribe:

:) Every time I see this thread title, I think (in my deep voice) "Hefty! Hefty! Hefty!"

:lol: and yes, that's what I thought too, interesting timing.