PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Dance Critic: Nutcracker Dancers Hefty?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

equatorial
02-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Apparently you've never heard of Beauty in Motion.

Have I missed a lot?

Interesting that you should mention sex as it does play a very significant role in the pieces he tackles.
It's not eroticism per se that I find objectionable;)

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Have I missed a lot? Enough not to be informed. :P

It's not eroticism per se that I find objectionable;)
You are not being clear. :shuffle:

kwanfan1818
02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
And what's so great about Zahorian, I'd like to know? I mean the NYT reviewer.
Macaulay's been trekking around the country watching a lot of companies since he took over the Times role, and he's been to San Francisco a few times now.

For his "Nutcracker Chronicles (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/22/the-nutcracker-chronicles-a-slice-of-san-francisco/?scp=5&sq=zahorian&st=cse)", he wrote, "Ms. Zahorian and Mr. Domitro are outstanding in the grand pas de deux, which features some prominent references to both the 1892 Ivanov and 1954 Balanchine versions." In a Balanchine mixed rep review (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B04E1DF173BF936A25751C0A9669D8B 63&scp=7&sq=zahorian&st=cse&pagewanted=2), he wrote:

Most remarkable are two other women: Sarah Van Patten and Vanessa Zahorian...Ms Zahorian has a rivetingly elegant physique, sparklingly precise legs and feet, a beautiful face offset by raven-black hair, and apparently complete technical accomplishment. She switches effortlessly from sustained adagio to scintillating presto, and the fluent conception of legato behind everything she does helps to give her the pose of a rare artist. I hope she will gain more serenity around the shoulders and the base of her neck and will start to suggest that the whole ballet, not just her role, is an act of her imagination.

Writing about her lead in "Diamonds" from "Jewels", he wrote:

Still, I find some qualities of both inwardness and outwardness are missing: [Sofiane Sylve] draws me into no spell, and her dancing doesn’t open up the space around her.

Those virtues are present in Ms. Zahorian’s dancing: at Sunday’s performance, well partnered by Davit Karapetyan, she proved compelling in both delicacy and bravura. “Diamonds” suits her even better than “Rubies.” (It’s possible that “Emeralds” might suit her best of all.)

“Diamonds” reveals, too, just how exceptional her technique is: in the scherzo there is one phrase of intricate turns where she drew my attention to an introductory jump that I felt I had never noticed before. You don’t expect a dancer of this refinement and grace to have such reserves of power. I only want her to try more off-balance audacity. In this ballet Ms. Farrell was queen of infinite space, opening up whole galaxies with one thunderbolt after another.

I've read him enough, back from when he was dance critic at "The New Yorker" after Croce, to respect his opinion, even if I don't see it, and with Zahorian, I've always :confused: what the fuss is about. I also saw and loved that performance by Sofiane Sylve.

Is anyone planning to see National Ballet of Cuba at the Kennedy Center in June?

Oh, I wish I could...have a great time!

Lack of exposure to modern dance can deprive one of perspective. I suppose you consider the Carmen suite vulgar too.
I don't find "Carmen Suite" vulgar: I just find it tedious after the opening. It was fun to see Lopatkina attempt an iconic Plitsetskaya role at the Cultural Olympiad last year. The highlight was Yuri Bashmet conducting his orchestra, Moscow Soloists, in the score, which I love. In stupid fashion they left off the names of the other dancers, listing Lopatkina only. I don't understand this "tradition": in the Mariinsky's recent performances of "Giselle" at the Kennedy Center, there were audience reports of substitutions for Myrtha that went unannounced, and I don't remember any announcement in the Bolshoi performance I saw of "Le Corsaire" a couple of years ago in which Osipova was too ill to dance -- she was hospitalized the day before -- and they never mentioned that the leads had changed. I've found that the cast lists in the programs are actually "suggestions", like red traffic lights in Boston.

IceAlisa
02-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Ms Zahorian has a rivetingly elegant physique, sparklingly precise legs and feet, a beautiful face offset by raven-black hair, and apparently complete technical accomplishment. She switches effortlessly from sustained adagio to scintillating presto, and the fluent conception of legato behind everything she does helps to give her the pose of a rare artist. I hope she will gain more serenity around the shoulders and the base of her neck and will start to suggest that the whole ballet, not just her role, is an act of her imagination.

:rofl: This guy sounds so utterly clueless. I've rarely seen such poor technque on stage. She had no control over the dancing, everything was a visible grueling effort, her jumps were heavy and "effortful", her feet lacked precision and control.

As to her physique, it's hardly ideal for ballet, unlike say Yuan Yuan Tan whose limbs go on and on and on. Although I can see Zahorian in more modern Balanchine ballets and doing well or better there. She is just no good in classical lead roles.

And although I love Lopatkina, I don't think she is versatile enough to do the Carmen suite justice. She is unbeatable in lyrical and dramatic roles, her Odette and The Dying Swan are sublime. But in more sassy, sexy roles, with allegro she is less convincing. And although I've never seen her Carmen, I can imagine how it could lack the necessary spark.

That really sucks about unannounced substitutions. At least announce them before the performance starts. :rolleyes:

emason
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
:rofl: This guy sounds so utterly clueless.

Utterly clueless? No, that was Clive Barnes.

Rob
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Is anyone planning to see National Ballet of Cuba at the Kennedy Center in June?
I ordered tickets on Wednesday and was completely :eek: to find them in my mailbox this morning. Speedy!

I am going on June 2. How long will you be in DC?

emason
03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Meanwhile, I just found out that the Royal Danish Ballet is coming to NY in June. Have no idea who is coming to dance, but I, for one, never miss an opportunity to see La Sylphide or third act of Napoli. We haven't been getting enough Bournonville in NY in recent years. Am going to go with a friend for her birthday fete.

kwanfan1818
03-11-2011, 01:25 AM
If you have a chance to see Thomas Lund, do: his dancing is :swoon:

emason
03-11-2011, 03:31 AM
If you have a chance to see Thomas Lund, do: his dancing is :swoon:

Well, we've picked the date by what we want to see and its convenience for us, but whom we are seeing is a mystery. However, we are aiming for the Saturday night performance, so it should be the first cast. It's 3 months away, but I shall report when the time comes. Thanks for the recommendation on Lund.

Marge_Simpson
03-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Regarding the RDB (in NYC) I already have tickets for Friday the 17th and the 8 PM performance on Saturday the 18th. I am also going to see the "Works abd Process" that they are doing at the Guggenheim on March 21st. I might see the RDB in DC as well, but tickets aren't on sale yet.
If anyone is going on the same eves and wants to have drinks or dinner first, or just meet up at intermission, say the word and I will be there. :)

For DC: I'm planning to arrive on June 1st and leave on the 8th. I have tickets for BNC on June 2, 3 and 5. (What can I say? I have a weakness for Don Quixote!) I also have a ticket for "Ballet 360: Beyond the Steps" on Saturday the 4th at 2 PM. I am hoping to get a ticket for RDB on the 7th.

Who wants to join me in DC?????

BTW, Kirov ballet will be coming to NYC in July....tickets go on sale March 14

Rob
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
For DC: I'm planning to arrive on June 1st and leave on the 8th. I have tickets for BNC on June 2, 3 and 5. (What can I say? I have a weakness for Don Quixote!) I also have a ticket for "Ballet 360: Beyond the Steps" on Saturday the 4th at 2 PM. I am hoping to get a ticket for RDB on the 7th.

Who wants to join me in DC?????

I usually meet a friend for dinner before the ballet - there is a restaurant in the Watergate across from Kennedy Center so we can eat at the bar there. I think it is called Rivers at the Watergate. Want to meet us on June 2 about 6?

emason
03-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Exciting! I may have to make a trip to NYC to see her and Vishneva. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Re: ABT single tickets - they go on sale at the beginning of April (I think the 3rd, but it may be the 8th), so start checking then if you still want to go.

Right now they have finished selling regular subscriptions and are selling trios, then in another week or so they are doing exchanges for those who have subscriptions and want to swap stuff out. Then finally single tickets will go on sale.

Marge_Simpson
03-12-2011, 03:00 AM
I usually meet a friend for dinner before the ballet - there is a restaurant in the Watergate across from Kennedy Center so we can eat at the bar there. I think it is called Rivers at the Watergate. Want to meet us on June 2 about 6?

EYS!

agalisgv
03-12-2011, 04:14 AM
She is unbeatable in lyrical and dramatic roles, her Odette and The Dying Swan are sublime. Here's a new take on the Dying Swan.

Start at the 1:40 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM2Aio9mvNE

I once saw a performance with Carlos Acosta (National Ballet of Cuba) with the Royal Ballet. Kinda disappointing :shuffle:

cygnus
03-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Well, I just looked at the clip and while I enjoyed it, I personally wouldn't call it either voidy or vulgar - just interesting and modern.

I would agree with that-but then I've seen very little classical ballet (just the Nutcracker, really), but I have seen lots of contemporary dance.

It was interesting when I saw the Mats Ek choreography of Giselle in Munich with Marge this fall. She's used to classical ballet and found it over the top weird- for me it was about average for strangeness. ( eg the second half was set in a mental institution, complete with a Nurse Ratchett like character instead of the Queen).