PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Dance Critic: Nutcracker Dancers Hefty?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

kwanfan1818
01-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I think he looks looped.

heckles
01-07-2011, 04:35 AM
Great, so NYCB is run by a drunken wife-beater. Chubby dancers are the least of this company's problems.

Marge_Simpson
01-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I think he looks looped.

Doesn't he always look that way? No, never mind, I am thinking of another ballet company's director. :lol:

MacMadame
01-08-2011, 04:06 AM
The thing I find odd is that the gal who supposedly had a few too many sugar plums has collarbones that are showing. The rest of her, as much as we can see from that angle, looks thin too.

Marge_Simpson
01-08-2011, 06:01 AM
I had an embarrassing ballet encounter earlier today, and will relate it here, without naming names.
I was at my dentist downtown and was chatting with the receprionist and a male patient who seemed very friendly. Talk turned to our jobs, and he said he was a former ballet dancer but was now a ballet instructor.
Unfortunately I thought he said BELLY dancer. Even more unfortunately, I said I had never realized there were male belly dancers. Of course he thought I said BALLET dancers and was not well pleased. :eek:
Eventually his true identity was revealed, and I can say it was NOT Peter Martins but someone who works with him. I did not mention Peter, but after already having made a fool of myself, I was tempted. :lol:

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Just came back from the SF Ballet production of Giselle. The principal Vanessa Zahorian should be ashamed of herself. She fell off the pointe a few times and crashed into a member of the corps at full speed. And besides these two mistakes the quality of her dancing is abysmal. She is in NO TEKNIK! :lynch:

Vanessa wouldn't make it past the door at Kirov. Yuan Yuan Tan is such a breath of fresh air in comparison.

kwanfan1818
02-13-2011, 03:53 AM
I know people who love Zahorian, and Alastair Macaulay of "The New York Times" has given her great reviews, but I never got it. I wish I had seen Van Patten or Kochetkova.

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 05:17 AM
And what's so great about Zahorian, I'd like to know? I mean the NYT reviewer.

I could say what's NOT so great about her but that's a long post.

Marge_Simpson
02-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Is anyone planning to see National Ballet of Cuba at the Kennedy Center in June?
I ordered tickets on Wednesday and was completely :eek: to find them in my mailbox this morning. Speedy!

equatorial
02-13-2011, 07:02 AM
The modern ballet that I absolutely love are Boris Eifman's productions:

So voidy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRTIooY98fo

I wouldn't call it voidy. Vulgar is a better v-letter word :slinkaway

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't call it voidy. Vulgar is a better v-letter word :slinkaway
Lack of exposure to modern dance can deprive one of perspective. I suppose you consider the Carmen suite vulgar too.

emason
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Well, I just looked at the clip and while I enjoyed it, I personally wouldn't call it either voidy or vulgar - just interesting and modern.

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
It is very modern. There is little to no modern dance in the major Russian dance companies and if that has changed, it would be an extremely recent development. I've heard Diana Vishneva complain about the lack of modern productions in an interview and saying you have to go to the Western companies for that.

What makes it voidy for me is the combination of the classic story--Hamlet--with Russian history and modern dance.

equatorial
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
I've heard Diana Vishneva complain about the lack of modern productions in an interview and saying you have to go to the Western companies for that.
Interestingly, the only "modern" productions Vishneva dances in are in Mariinsky (she reprised some of them in other dance companies though). And she had, well, not so harmonious relations with a leading choreographer of contemporary ballet who allegedly kicked her out of a premiere of his production in Mariinsky ;)

As to Eifman's vulgarity, it, IMHO, shows abundantly in his treatment of both the medium and the subject matter of his productions. Choreographically, it's a strange mixture of the worst of the Soviet drambalet and a poor man's version of post-WW2 ballet, "from Roland Petit to Jiří Kylián". And all the characters in his ballets look like sex-crazy buffoons.

IceAlisa
02-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Interestingly, the only "modern" productions Vishneva dances in are in Mariinsky (she reprised some of them in other dance companies though). And she had, well, not so harmonious relations with a leading choreographer of contemporary ballet who allegedly kicked her out of a premiere of his production in Mariinsky ;)
Apparently you've never heard of Beauty in Motion.

As to Eifman's vulgarity, it, IMHO, shows abundantly in his treatment of both the medium and the subject matter of his productions. Choreographically, it's a strange mixture of the worst of the Soviet drambalet and a poor man's version of post-WW2 ballet, "from Roland Petit to Jiří Kylián". And all the characters in his ballets look like sex-crazy buffoons.
Interesting that you should mention sex as it does play a very significant role in the pieces he tackles.